Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 11:45 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post synthetic tranny fluid

When I had the PPI done, I (and the mechanic) noticed that the transaxle was covered in oil, but not leaking. Right now I dont know whether the existing tranny fluid is synthetic or dino fluid. If I'm border-line leaking, I would assume that switching to synthetic from dino would cause me to cross the border and start leaking on the garage floor. I'm almost sure that the transaxle was wet with oil, that it wasn't dry leftover oil. What does everybody recommend? (go synthetic or go dino? Maybe whipe down the tranny and check if it gets wet with oil again?)

The reason I'd like to change the tranny fluid to synthetic if possible (Redline fluid actually) is that I'm experiencing notchy shifting. If I shift with the car off and not moving, it flows very nicely (duh). Shifting with the car in motion usually requires a good bit of force accompanied by a grinding feel (not sound, just feel...kinda like moving the gearshift inbetween some very coarse sandpaper).

One final question...does anybody have any tips/tricks for adding tranny fluid? It seems like it'll be a big pain. Maybe a turkey baster er something?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 09-03-2001, 01:02 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are afraid of leaks, stick with dino fulid. I don't think redline will make your shifting any smoother than clean dino oil (and I use Redline). The only advantage to a synthetic is that it is more resistant to heat and will break down slower.

You can buy pumps at auto parts stores that are meant to get the fluid up there. That is what I used.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:54 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

ok, now the question moves on to who makes a non-synthetic gear oil and which does everybody recommend? I know Redline is synthetic. I haven't read that Swepco is synthetic although I would assume it is? Shell is another choice that I read someone on this board uses in my search of the archives.

Swepo 201 tranny fluid web page

thanks again
Old 09-03-2001, 05:31 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Swepco is dino.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:46 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

OK, so Swepco it is!
Any recomendations on where to get some?
performance products has it...but it's in a 1 gallon container. I don't really need all that. The tranny takes 2 Liters...That's about a 1/2 gallon right?
I checked Pelican...but they didn't carry it (or I didn't see it), same for paragon.

thanks again...
Old 09-03-2001, 11:38 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I switched to Redline and I definately noticed smoother shifting. Synthetics tend to leak a bit more than dino but, in my opinion, the benefits outweight this problem. Regardless of the oil type you choose, be sure to get one with GL-4 rating, not GL-5. The newer GL-5, I was told by a Redline engineer, is too slipery for the 944 syncros.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:18 AM
Tabor
Drifting

I am pretty sure the tranny takes more like 2.6 litres.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:51 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, I recently did mine with dino. I bought the stuff in one liter bottles and almost used 3. I bought a little pump w/hose at the parts store that screws right into the bottle (6 bucks), works like an old Windex bottle or something. WARNING: it works great, BUT your hand will get TIRED pumping 3 liters of gear oil. Good exercise if you're a guitarist.

I have a little notchiness between first and second gear, it got a little better after the fluid change. You can also experiment and figure out what speed/rpm minimizes the resistance and then just shift there to save the synchro...

~cheers~

Thaddeus
Old 09-04-2001, 10:23 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Well, If I would be to stay away from GL-5, I'd have to stay away from Swepco because all of their tranny oils are rated GL-5. Redline I'd like to stay away from because it is synthetic and I don't want any leaks (the tranny is already oil soaked, but not dripping). What tranny oil did everyone here use when they changed it? My car does have LSD and an external oil cooler.

Thanks again
Old 09-04-2001, 10:55 AM
Leonel
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
If i decide to use Redline,is MTL ok?
Old 09-04-2001, 11:14 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

A quote of the Redline web page, "MTL is not designed for use in rear-wheel drive differentials. "

That's the only thing they say about not using it in our cars. Opinions?
Old 09-04-2001, 11:21 AM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Factory-fill on all Porsche manual transmissions is Shell 80W-90 dinosaur oil. If you change it every 15K miles, it will work as good or better than any of the synthetic or "cosmetic" brand alternatives.

Greg
Old 09-04-2001, 11:31 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Greg, Even for tranny's with LSD?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2001, 12:33 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the puppy is already seeping, I'd stay away from the synthetic. This is a complete reversal of my opinion of a few months ago, and comes from my experience when I put synthetic in a (non-leaking) power steering system. One new steering rack later, I now belive that synthetics should be reserved for 'known-good' systems.

my 2 centavos.

Thaddeus
Old 09-04-2001, 12:57 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Good analogy, Thaddeus. That PS rack likely has interesting design specs given that it wants to live on the old ATF. I suspect the gear box is the same with all the problems people have reported with different "new and improved" lubes.

As far as putting the oil in, the standard quart/liter tall and skinny gear oil jug will fit up there. Clip the pointy end off and cover with finger. Fit the bottle up, pull off your finger and quick shove the tip into hole. Little, if any, spills.

Quick Reply: synthetic tranny fluid