Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question: Cup Holders

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 01:42 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stupid Question: Cup Holders

A buddy of mine is lamtentin the lack of a cup holder in his just purchased '00 Boxster. I remember a thread with a link to a cup holder that attaches to the dash vents in 944's...somehow. I think it fit other models too. Does anyone remember this site/link? I know this is pretty trivial but would appreciate the help if you remember.
Old 10-31-2001, 02:04 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
For those who want to be sac-relig, there are cup holders that are specifically designed for the Boxster/996. You can find an add for one in Excellence or probably Panorama.

FYI: The 944 does have a cup "holder". Open your glove box.

-Matt
Old 10-31-2001, 02:37 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Matt,
I didn't think to look in Excellence. As for that supposed "cup holder" in the 944 glovebox...come on. The first turn and your drink would be dripping off the door panel. As for it being a sacrelege to want a cupholder, I don't agree. Many of us use our Porsches as daily drivers...I do. I am meticulous aobut my car, and I don't like the idea of food remnants in my car (or the smells) but a cup of coffee or a Coke isn't any big deal. Maybe if I had a 996 Twin Turbo... If I had the money to own one of those I wouldn't likely be needing a "daily driver"
Old 10-31-2001, 03:59 PM
scular
Racer

Smile

If you really need cup holders go down to your local parts store and for about a $1 you can get one that hangs on the door, not the greatest for the window or seal but it works and can easily be put in the glove box to hide that you, yes you have a cup holder in a sports car.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:15 PM
951juden
Track Day

There's also those really COOL cup holders that hang from your cigarette lighter. (I think they're called the Auto-Butler) My EX-girlfriend bought one of those for me for an '89 Camaro I once had. Now she's the ex. But I think she got it at a Pep Boys, or some local auto parts store.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:45 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made a custom drink holder that has served me well.

I purchased another ashtray assembly off E-bay for about $5.00. I removed the metal tray and the sliding lid and took a dermal type tool and a soda can and I slowly rounded the middle of the four sides of the opening until the can fit with little resistance. I then used some really fine sandpaper (400 grit) to make the edges nice and smooth.

I admit that it will not hold large cups or bottles.

At some point I plan on dressing it up by lining the exposed area over the torque tube tunnel in leather.

I will try to remember to take a picture and post it tomorrow.

When I want the car to look stock, I just remove the holder and pop in the original ashtray.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:48 PM
rfuerst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this place-www.javagrip.com
Old 10-31-2001, 06:21 PM
TP-944
Intermediate

Just hand your drink to the passenger and say "don't spill that".

Works every time.

(I know, it's a smart-*** answer, but you set yourself up for at least one.)
Old 10-31-2001, 06:36 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cup holders? My coffee table doesn't have a steering wheel, and my Porsche came without a cup holder. I'll bet the Cayenne will have them!
Old 10-31-2001, 07:14 PM
Mike 89 NA
Instructor

The cup holder in my 93 Passat is very slick, it's mounted to the tunnel, and folds flat out of the way. I know you guys will think it's sacreligious but I plan to install one in my 89 944 daily driver. It holds two cups/bottles, VW sells them for about $45.00, funny thing I saw a parts house in European Car magazine selling them for $90.00! Go figure,

Mike
Old 10-31-2001, 07:39 PM
bs
Pro

Cool

when i bought my 951, i was apalled to see that the PO had installed a cupholder on the driver's side door. from what i had read on here, i decided that no self-respecting porsche owner ever drank in his car and i resolved to remove it. however, the first time i got thirsty on a long drive, i changed my mind... dammit, it's hard to shift gears, steer and hold a drink at the same time, and sometimes you just need a coffee to keep you going and don't want to stop to drink it.

anyway, the cupholder is really slick and so i decided to leave it. it's a ~1" thick black plastic square on the door panel. the outer layer is hinged at the bottom and folds down to form the bottom of the cupholder; it has a nice cork layer on it so that the bottom of your drink won't slide. inside is another peice which is hinged at the top and folds up. it consits of two sides of a ring with some sort of sliding, detented mount such that they can be moved closer together or farther apart to accomodate everything from red bull cans to mountain dew quick slams. it's slightly obtrusive when unfolded, but gets in the way of nothing when not in use.

i can see if there is a brand name or anything on it if anyone else is interested.
Old 10-31-2001, 08:05 PM
Peter L
Instructor

BS, is this sort of what your talking about

I recently installed 2 of these on my boat, i attached them with some screws, please tell me you didn't drill your door panel to put yours on. IMHO i don't think i would ever install a cupholder in my 944 but my VW Golf is just aching for one, trying to shift talk on the phone and hold your coffe is not very easy and not to mention not safe. If anyone is interested this is where i got them www.theoutdoorscenter.com/ only $5.99
Old 10-31-2001, 08:05 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by Dan in Pasadena:
<STRONG>
As for that supposed "cup holder" in the 944 glovebox...come on. The first turn and your drink would be dripping off the door panel. As for it being a sacrelege to want a cupholder, I don't agree. Many of us use our Porsches as daily drivers...I do. </STRONG>
Oh I was tounge and cheek. I was being sarcastic because it's hilarious that that was their attempt at cupholders.

Luckily I'm a spoiled brat and there is an extra car here at the house (1990 Acura Integra) that I drive to school during the week. Actually, I'm not spoiled at all, it's just an extra car we bought from my grandpa (he bought it new). It's in great condition, 120,000. But next semester I won't have it cause I'm moving to Greenville so I have to milk it now... That's when I get a motorcycle for my daily...

Just hand your drink to the passenger and say "don't spill that".
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You don't know how many times I've said that. And if that passenger happens to be your mom, then, well, you may as well open the bottle of diet coke, turn it upside down and start pouring... "But Matt, at least it's diet, won't be sticky..." Uggghhh...

HAHA. Thanks for the laugh...

-M
Old 10-31-2001, 08:06 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Heres an idea, what about a drink holder shaped to fit where the ashtray goes? Use a slide door just like the ashtray and everything. That would be fine for me, I don't smoke in the car anyway. Yes, you would have to shift around it till the drink was gone, and you could only fit something the diameter of a soda can or so in that little space, but not to much of a problem, and face it, you shouldn't be race shifting while drinking a soda and most cupholders don't fit every container anyway. Hmm, now to find the stuff to make it.
Old 10-31-2001, 08:13 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Actually in my 924 S (and pre 85.5 944) I think you can already fit a can in there. At least I remember doing that. Bend down that metal piece for the cigarette and you're good to go (if I remember right).

-m

Quick Reply: Stupid Question: Cup Holders