Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question: Cup Holders

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001 | 08:14 PM
bs
Pro

peter, yeah, that looks like what i have, except from the picture it doesn't look like the upper arms on yours are adjustable for different diameter containters. that is a fact i really appreciate after using the cupholders in my last car which were only the right size for a 12oz can... if you put a small red bull style can in, it falls out, and there's no way you are fitting a quick slam in.

and yeah, i the PO did drill the door panel to put that in. not that i care... most of that part of the door panel will be scrapped when i put in my stereo. fitting a deep 6" driver into the door will require signifigant modifications i'm sure.
Old 10-31-2001 | 08:28 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

bs, the style of cupholder you're talking about is the brand that K-Mart carries. They're 1.99 each, IIRC. I bought a pair but haven't mounted em yet (I can't bring myself to drill through the door panel, and can't think of anywhere else to put em).

--
Semper Fi
LCpl SH Won
Wpns Co, 2nd Bn 24th Marines
Old 10-31-2001 | 08:34 PM
sm
Drifting

Hey Mike:

Got a picture of those cup holders?

Thanks,
sm
Old 10-31-2001 | 09:59 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

I use a cup holder that looks like a bean-bag with a styrofoam cup in the middle..forget what it's called, but it feels like it's filled with popcorn as ballast. Think I got it at K-mart for $5.00
Will take everything but a 2G turn, or a 32oz cappuccino!!, and you can take it out of the car whenever.
Old 11-01-2001 | 02:10 AM
booster
Racer

I don't do can drinks when I drive but I do get the fountain drinks with the tight lid, I rest it between my thigh and the console while driving.
Old 11-01-2001 | 01:22 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are a few pics. Of my home made cup holder (see my post above on my precise manufacturing techniques ;~)

Not in use:

In use: (Yummy )
Old 11-01-2001 | 01:39 PM
Mr.September
Track Day

Cupholder Factoid: According to Autoweek, cup-holder issues top the automotive consumer complaint list.
Old 11-01-2001 | 04:11 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Matt, You cracked me up. You're right of course about some people - you may as well tell them to spill it all over the car as tell them to be careful with it. Especially your mother. I brought this all on myself of course by even bringing up this stupid subject. Remember, it's my buddy that's looking for a cup holder FOR HIS BOXSTER!!!
Actually, it is the one in Javagrip that I was looking for. I just had to get my metaphorical "99 No's" from you guys before I got my one "Yes". Thanks all.
Old 11-03-2001 | 09:38 AM
TomH
Pro

I got a simple solution. Take a cup holder that is designed to hang from your window sill, fold the flap and stick it up between the center console and the carpet on the passenger side. Mine stays there nicely, and has never slipped out.
Old 11-03-2001 | 05:48 PM
Mike 89 NA
Instructor

I have pictures of the Passat holder, I don't have a way to post them right now so if anyone wants them shoot me an email at mjoconne@bellatlantic.net.

I just finished some major front engine work, glad to have my baby back after a two week break, mostly waiting on parts. Just installed most of the 968 interior, should have it done this weekend!

Mike
Old 11-03-2001 | 10:40 PM
DB944T
Intermediate

My favorite cup holder, which I've used in several cars, is a big roll of duct tape. Just sit it on the passenger seat - it holds everything from a coke to a travel mug, and will handle any exit ramp. The stickiness on the sides of the roll help hold it from moving around.

OK so its a little ugly, but at least you're prepared for anything.
Dave
Old 11-05-2001 | 06:38 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello guys...

I've thought about this for awhile now, as I would like something to hold a beverage every now and then, but hate the way most cup holders look. I had thought about the ashtray idea, only I want two cup holders- I think it could be made to work if you took out the entire piece of plastic on the edges, but I would want it to be finished, and rounded, etc... I usually just sit my coke can in the little groove on top to the right side- it works really well, and I haven't spilled one yet. You would have to hold it going into turns or over really big bumps, but over most terrain, I've done fine.

One thing I would really like to see, and is the reason I'm posting here, is for someone to modify the factory "cup holders" in the glove box. I would think that anyone who works w/carbon fibre regularly could take the inside piece out, and replace it w/a new carbon fibre piece, only w/deeper and smaller (or larger, or whatever shape) holes. It would have to be made thicker than the factory, but I don't understand why the stock one's weren't this way- it could be done... Anyone? For that matter, someone could do something similar w/the ashtray space...

I would even like to mount a regular one in my Turbo S, but they won't fit- I have tried- I HATE the stupid air bag warning label, and won't even have the bags much longer, as I'm going to a Momo wheel... Anyway, a nice carbon fibre panel, or something similar, w/nice deep holders would work well...
Old 11-05-2001 | 12:56 PM
xjfiles
6th Gear

Lightbulb

I saw a cup holder on ebay the other day that replaced the armrest tape holder. When not in use folded down into an armrest again. Was kind of interesting I forget who manufacutred it though.

Andy Black
86 944NA

Quick Reply: Stupid Question: Cup Holders