Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 944 RallyCross Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
I have a sheet metal (CNC Plasma Cut) reproduction of the plastic engine tray if you need it. Bolts right up and has the factory style vent holes. It should keep just about anything from messing with your belts. It was actually designed to keep the power steering pump intact in the event of "armadillo" impact.
How thick is it? Or, how thick can you cut one?
Old 07-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today after some surfing I decided to continue preping the car. I started on the weight reduction and weighed everything I removed by weighing myself and then myself holding the item/s here is the list of stuff I pulled out.

Hatch carpet 14.2 Lbs
Sound deadening under carpet 17.4 Lbs
Tools/jack/jumper cables 15.8 Lbs
Spare tire 40.2 Lbs
Top of rear seat 15.0 Lbs
Rear seat belts 3.0 Lbs
Rear panels (cover speakers) 2.0 Lbs
Front floor mats 2.0 Lbs
Bottom of rear seat 7.2 Lbs
Sound deadening on wheel wells 11.8 Lbs
Sound deadening next to the rear seats 7.6 Lbs
Tar from the rear cubbies 2.8 Lbs

Total weight lost for the day 139.5 Lbs
I also found out I lost 6 pounds in weight yay 150.2 Lb driver
Anyways here are some pics. It still needs to be cleaned some more but you get the idea. I also took it for a test drive and love how I can feel the difference in acceleration and just lightness of the car for turn in ability.

Name:  WP_000703_zpsacf5a9a7.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  WP_000704_zpsbb7b1a69.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  WP_000705_zps5b5621eb.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  WP_000706_zps57bb0d66.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  WP_000707_zpsb78a025e.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  66.7 KB
Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Got busy this week as I received my new front brakes Installed them today and wow there is a difference in braking feel and power. Also these calipers weighed 4.8 pounds with the pads on while the old original ones weighed 11.4 pounds. Quality is great and all the fittings where easy bolts-ins. Now I need to get some 15" wheels :P

Name:  WP_000708_zpse767435d.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  WP_000710_zps2a19a8c5.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  WP_000715_zpsfa2b5b97.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  WP_000717_zps7204fd29.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  WP_000719_zps65d71914.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  WP_000718_zps1ba3d2ab.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  76.2 KB
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashio
Today after some surfing I decided to continue preping the car.
Surfing? Now that's cool.

Cool project. Don't know if it's cooler than surfing though? Sound deadening is a PITA!

Also. You probably know but the seats you have in there aren't going to pass any racing organization rules.

Take care,
Old 07-21-2013, 01:39 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Surfing? Now that's cool.

Cool project. Don't know if it's cooler than surfing though? Sound deadening is a PITA!

Also. You probably know but the seats you have in there aren't going to pass any racing organization rules.

Take care,
Yeah surfing is fun, today I went snorkeling to mix it up a little :P I agree with the sound deadening. I felt like I went to the gym after I was done (hot day while taking it all off).

As for the seats in a rallycross these and factory seats are just fine. It is similar to an autocross but on dirt/gravel. Now if I decided to do a real Rally then yes FIA approved seats are something I would have to get. Regardless the current seats are a temporary fix as my original ones had started to just fall apart. Thank you for the concern though It made me do a little research and I found out it is recommend (not required) to have a rollbar in the car.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

*sniff* Reminds me of my 84 spec-car-turned-barely-street-legal-car. It only weighed ~2400 lbs with me in it. My 951 is an absolute rocket in comparison, but for turn in and overall "chuckability" the two were on different planes. I've never driven a car before or since that handled like that car did. The best mod possible for a car is to add lightness.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like fun, keep us posted!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM
OzGreg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Re no rear bar. It's all about rear grip effectively takes some grip from the inside tyre by unweighting it (very, very simplified). Rally cars run very soft or no rear bar and the the front bar will be softer than a tarmac one. Remember this a generalisation.

Sump guard: I don't know how rough your rally cross tracks are, but we regularly come across large rocks in the middle of the road and some tracks get so badly rutted that, combined with a low ish ride, the belly of the car can ground heavily. Hence the robust sump guards. It is also important to carefully mount the guard such that it cannot be deflected/bent up into/onto the sump or other bits.

Cheers
Greg
Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This looks like so much fun - where in CA are rallycross events held?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

what kind of shape are those wheels of yours in? i might be interested in taking them off your hands if they are good.

i think you should go full afrika-korps on this car depending on the type of events youre doing
Old 07-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by OzGreg
Hi all,

Re no rear bar. It's all about rear grip effectively takes some grip from the inside tyre by unweighting it (very, very simplified). Rally cars run very soft or no rear bar and the the front bar will be softer than a tarmac one. Remember this a generalisation.

Sump guard: I don't know how rough your rally cross tracks are, but we regularly come across large rocks in the middle of the road and some tracks get so badly rutted that, combined with a low ish ride, the belly of the car can ground heavily. Hence the robust sump guards. It is also important to carefully mount the guard such that it cannot be deflected/bent up into/onto the sump or other bits.

Cheers
Greg
During my practice day I will try the car with a mixture of settings one with both bars in, one with just the front, one with just the rear, and one with out any. I understand you want to have true independent suspension and the sway bars hinder that. As for the sump guard I need to first get my motor mounts to lift the engine back up (in a week or two) and then I can make one. I eventually want a smooth under tray (until it get dinged and banged).

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
This looks like so much fun - where in CA are rallycross events held?
I am going to San Bernadino. It is the closest one I found to the San Diego area.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
what kind of shape are those wheels of yours in? i might be interested in taking them off your hands if they are good.

i think you should go full afrika-korps on this car depending on the type of events youre doing
They have some curb rash from the previous owner and I painted over them. I am trying to figure out if I should just a get a set of phone dials to beat on or go for some rims that weigh 8 pounds (Adapters needed to fit them). Although then I worry about strength of the wheels. Either way if and when they go up for sale I will put you first on the list :P
Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Nashio
Instructor

So last night as I was going to the movies my Cat decided it was going to break off. Well I removed it on the side of the street and tossed it into my hatch. Went to the movies came and set off every car alarm in the parking structure. This morning I went and just got a straight pipe welded in place since my cat was done (27+ years old) and it sure made a difference in how the car feels. The car requires less of a pedal push on the freeway to maintain speed and Feels like it has more pep at all the rpms.

Anyways this now leads me to doing my exhaust system instead of just this quick bandaid. For my rallycross I have to run a cat. So I am thinking of a high flow one. Any recommendations? The muffler shop owner was telling me he has to put his own from his shop on the car (california....) So I will be welding this new exhaust system back on. I already know what I want to use for a muffler and from the current sound of the car I do not think I will have to get a resonator with a cat also installed.

Also I ordered my short shifter, and motor and transmission mounts so I am just waiting for those to come in the mail
Old 07-25-2013, 06:04 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool project.

For the cat' you have to use one that is approved, by CARB, for use with you model car.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Got everything in the mail and today I put on my new motor mounts. Only took me 4 hours including set up and clean up Anyways while I was under the car I discover my exhaust manifold has a hole (half of a dime size) in it (exhaust leak) so I went and ordered a Bursch header. Since I am currently running the car without a cat I can let all of you know if I feel a significant increase in power. I know fixing the exhaust leak will help that. Also I went with these headers for a quick fix. I also ordered a SLP loud mouth resonator that I will be welding to the cat delete pipe.

There was an update in the rallycross event that no longer requires a cat! yay me. Also I was too tired to do the transmission mounts and short shifter today. So those will be installed another day.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know anything about Rallycross in USA, but here in Europe Rallycross have been driven over 30-years. Here's a video of a finn Matti Alamaki back in 1985 when he won european championchip with his 4wd Porsche 911 with over 900hp. Back then here in Finland there was two 4wd 911 Rallycross cars. Few years earlier when factory built the first 4wd 911s. Another 911 was owned by Seppo Niittymaki. He lived close to my parents hous, used to go to see his build ups occasionally.

Matti Alamaki:

Quick Reply: My 944 RallyCross Build