Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFR supercharger kits are finished!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 10:49 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt, weren't you the guy who wanted to lower his compression ratio? Then you bet that the higher compression ratio cars will see more gain? What gives?

Old 12-19-2001, 01:09 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

TurboTim, how about a custom intake manifold for the N/A? I think that the N/A is a smaller manifold that the 951, especially the intake runners.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:19 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Mark,

The intake manifold that we built for the 951's will fit the N/A.It bolts right on.The runners are bigger which will really help with the supercharged cars.Our intake flows about 20% more then the stocker, too.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 12-19-2001, 08:46 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

I think this post is going to get the all time record for number of responses. C'mon guys, leave Tim and John alone, they're busy answering all these posts when they could be using the time to get to work on my... Uhm... I mean their 968 SC...
Old 12-19-2001, 10:07 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So.. lessee here... all's we gots to do now is invent a 12VDC electrically-powered A/C compressor so the compressor can be located further back on the left side...

OK, SFR... for your _next_ product....

Jim, wanting to both have and eat his cake...
Old 12-19-2001, 11:23 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally posted by Tabor Kelly:
<STRONG>Matt, weren't you the guy who wanted to lower his compression ratio? Then you bet that the higher compression ratio cars will see more gain? What gives?

</STRONG>
Tabor read: "My shot. This is a shot in the dark."

Translated as: "My turn to get it wrong. I have no clue, but figured I'd give it a shot."

Who knows. I'm dumb.

-Matt
Old 12-19-2001, 01:11 PM
instigator
Racer

John i dont have to give up anything for speed. supercharging of knoxville has a kit that doesnt delet anything, rimmer had a kit that didnt delet anything. although this kit looks well engineered, it is still a novelty piece, your not going to race it at any event other than that of the big parking lots, it is just an add on for us that like to add on. i like the idea but not crazy about giving up things other than cash to get it . if you guys want to do some real r&d put an Eaton on the intake manifold so it looks stock. your kit looks very simple in the design and thats the key to any design but the 944 wasnt a simple designed car (engine) just a couple of pennies thrown your way
Old 12-19-2001, 04:51 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

You live up to your name, instigator...

I don't see why SFR's kit is a novelty piece? Something so novel probably wouldn't crank out that much power. The ERam Electric Supercharger, now that's a novelty...

And Tabor, I think I am right about the increased numbers... The 89 na has a higher compression yes, but I read that with the Stage 4 (and 3?) kits they come with 951 parts to lower the compression of the cylinders to the level capable of handling 10 PSI.

-Matt
Old 12-19-2001, 05:44 PM
Exotic HorsePower
Advanced

I am currently having a SFR supercharger installed on my 944S2. John and Tim adviced me that they are working on a kit that would allow you to keep the AC, but the power gains would be limited to about 40% increase. In my case I only drive my car on the weekends and hardly ever use the AC so I went ahead and am having the supercharger with the AC delete done. I made a visit to SFR to examine there system before I agreed to have my car as the test car. I found there system to be a very well and thought out design. I would not say this is a novelty item but I would consider it a serious piece of equipment.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:58 PM
instigator
Racer

hey guys i didnt mean it was a piece of ****, i meant that we have no real need to have this other than to play with at stop lights and the like. i want a supercharger on my car but i dont want it to be a centrifugal design. i like the eaton blowers but not like that of the rimmer slap together project. i have an extra intake that im going to cut up and try to adapt an eaton to it but a little farther back on the engine than what the rimmer people did.

that electric charger is a piece of **** and i wouldn't even degrade chinese novelty items by calling it a novelty piece.

but as far as a supercharger on anycar, it isnt needed (excluding desiels)
Old 12-19-2001, 06:02 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Can't you just shut off the A/C when you want to get optimum power? Why would simply having the A/C there not give the peak power output - I thought it only sucked engine power if it was on...?

Or am I way off?

-Matt
Old 12-19-2001, 06:33 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it limits the size of the SC, it will limit HP gains.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:29 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Instigator,

Our superchagrer is a novelty, huh? Well I hate to tell you it is the only(unless SOK has one) supercharged and intercooled system on the market. Our kit was designed with racers in mind, not for guys to tear up the street.I can gaurantee you that you will see our kit on a few racecars around the country in the near future.So it is not a novelty piece.We are Speed Force Racing not Speed Force Novelties and please do not forget that;^)

As far as the Eaton goes, that is the novelty piece.It can not be intercooled(and if it can its going to be a plumbing nightmare) and ultimately it will not make as much power.Serious racers know what it takes to get around the track reliably and a roots type blower with no intercooler is not going to cut it.

Besides that, you know as well as we do that it needs a custom intake manifold.This adds to the price considerably and there could be a situation in which cores are are to find for a good price.This will surely add delays as well as extra costs.

We do have something in mind for the guys who want to keep their A/C and are not too concerned with tracking their cars.Basically we will be installing Whipplechargers on all of the 944-968's for those that want some additonal power without sacrifing creature comforts.Although this set-up will come nowhere close to the power potential of the centrifugal we are using it will provide a crapload of torque and boost right off of idle.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 12-19-2001, 10:37 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

I'm going to attach a straw to my intake manifold and have someone who blows hard (Richard Simmons?) sit in the passenger seat and supply boost.
Really guys, not to put anyone's product down (I think that the SC is a great idea), but would it not be more cost effective to get a 951 (which is serviceable by any Porsche tech and looks nicer) rather than SC'ing an N/A? Apart from the service issues and the better looks (front bumper, valence and wheels), the 951 has a heavier duty driveline and a different tranny. Since when can an 8v n/a driveline handle big power? If it could, why would it have been reworked for the 951? Also, wouldnt you want to opt for a rebuild before sc'ing? I think the whole cost of getting a descent kit installed (ie without the car) would end up costing as much as a descent 951.
Just my 2 cents, so no flaming please.

-Matt
Old 12-20-2001, 12:56 AM
instigator
Racer

hey Tim dont get bent on what i percieve as a non essential gadget. if you plan on racing them i'll be the first to root you on but, im not sur and i am sure you'll correct me, but putting a supercharger on a NA car would put you in a modified class and that alone is very limiting to the 944.

as far as the root type needing an intercooler, you know it doesnt need one because of the design . the centrifugal on the other hand does because of its nature of moving the air

and the cores for an eaton are more availible now that more OEMs are turning to there type of supercharger. ive called up Magnuson, who handle the one off supercharger aspects of eaton and they have many configurations to choose from and they are $1200-$1300 for the charger new. besides that i can get one from a ford super coupe off ebay for a couple hundred bucks then send it in for a rebuild. not to mention that the roots type is more effeciant(not needing to cool the discharge and less spool time than that of a centrifugal.

Tim i like your product and i'm not trying to down grade it, please take it as constuctive criticism

Quick Reply: SFR supercharger kits are finished!