Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFR supercharger kits are finished!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 08:36 PM
instigator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
folks i'm very sorry for starting this direction of the thread. i guess i'm living up to my sign on name. i just wanted a little more than having to disable a component of my car in order to enjoy the hp gains of a supercharger. i know i've upset a few people here with my public view of the bolt-on hp maker(supercharger-nos-cone filter-headers-etc..). but please understand that they are made to make us feel happier of our cars, and some have actual usefull applications.

Tim i'm sorry that the fire is lite under you buttocks. i could fan it but i'll just say Merry Christmas (i still like the roots type set up)

everyone please accept my appology and have a Merry Christmas
Old 12-20-2001, 08:41 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MERRY X MAS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2001, 08:49 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Old 12-20-2001, 09:09 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My turn...

Old 12-20-2001, 09:18 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Tim...I'm glad you all got the S/C kit together. I am anxious to find out how well it works/what people think about it/dyno #'s. I should have a gigantic tax return this year since I worked for 6 months in a tax bracket that will be much higher than my yearly salary will be since I quit work and went back to school (I expect to get at least a couple of G's back), so...guess what...I think I will probably pick up a MAF kit and a boost controller for my car. I was very pleased with the exhaust system for my car that my insurance company bought for me from you and based on the quality of that work would like to do more business with you. Best of luck, and happy holidays to all...and don't drink and drive!
Old 12-20-2001, 09:23 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oops, how did that get in there... Here's what I meant:

Is this thread snowed under yet? Hey, can I supercharge a Craftsman snowblower?

Skip
Old 12-20-2001, 09:39 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
If Skip (a.k.a. the man) has 4 stars I'm in good company. Thanks though Luke!

Sorry for my ignornance, I didn't know you had to move the alternator somewhere else, It thought maybe you fit it in there somehow, just removing the air intake box thingy.

Either way though, very cool. Most of the time I'm hard core and just role down windows, so it's not that bad.

-Matt

(Tim, I still think what you all did is just bad(!!) (=awesome) and if I had the extra moola I would. But I'm still going to get your short shift kit as soon as I can. I browsed your personal website and you seemed cool. Want to make the worlds fastest 951? Cool.)
Old 12-20-2001, 10:43 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this thread snowed under yet? Hey, can I supercharge a Craftsman snowblower?
Maybe with a leaf blower
Old 12-20-2001, 11:04 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Tim and John, You mentioned the speed of install/uninstall. I live in Phoenix AZ, so it's a life or death item in the summer to keep cool. Would it be easy to switch back and forth between AC/SC? Is it very involved? Maybee I could just SC in the winter... Hmm...
Old 12-21-2001, 12:31 AM
TurboTim
Banned

I know how an air-to-water intercooler works. I am also aware of their shortcomings. However, it is misleading (and a dishonest business practice) to tell potential customers that your can not intercool a Roots type blower without a plumbing "nightmare". It also makes you look uninformed.

Tabor,

I would have left this alone but......you insulted myself and our company! I will not stand around and take it when someone such as yourself continues to insult me or any other person on this list.

You are saying we are a dishonest business and we are unimformed? I beg to differ with you. Our customers will disagree with you also! I would like an apology from you because I think it is in order.

Intercooling a roots type blower is going to be a plumbing nightmare, period. Whether it be an air or watercooled intercooler.There are plenty of hoses and piping to and from the intercooler and because of the design of the roots blower it is very difficult to accomplish. If you are informed as well as you may think, you might question all these V-8 shops you are calling. They do not work on these cars. They cannot disassemble an entire 944, 951, etc.... down to nothing and then reassemble it completely. I can, John can and so can our other employees. We know how much space is available and what it takes to use a water to air intercoler in the 944 supercharger application. For Gods sake, I have seen Huntleys kit firsthand(and I wasnt impressed at all) and I know that IT WILL BE A PLUMBING NIGHTMARE TO INTERCOOL AN EATON TYPE BLOWER ON A 944. There kit is already a plumbing nightmare without an intercooler! It is up on their website. Please, please, please, take a look! Notice where the throttlebody is, the mass air sensor and everything else. Now think real hard where the intake of the supercharger is on an Eaton.It is at the back of the blower! Like I said it is already a plumbing nightmare without the intercooler.I guess I am not as un-informed as you may have first thought.

Once you compare the two kits, you will see that our kit is vastly superior! You will see that our kit is going to be much easier to install.You will see that our kit can be removed in a couple of hours for emissions testing and then bolted back on. None of the other kits on the market can even compare when you think about all of these unique features.

Tabor, you might think that you know how these things work and how much space limitations there are but you really dont.You couldnt possibly know because you spend most of your time on this list! We spend most of our time working on these cars and developing new products.We have built numerous 400+ horsepower(@ rear wheels) 951's and there are not many shops that can make claims like that.The supercharged 944 is just another of our conquests.

So if you can produce a better product then us, go for it. Maybe you will make alot of money doing it. Maybe you will realize that intercooling an Eaton blower is not as easy as these shops are telling you. Until then...... please do not insult me by saying that I am dishonest and mis-informed! Thank you very much.

To all of the listers, I am sorry about posting in such a manner as to offend anyone. I just could not help myself. I am sure there are others that will agree with me. If you do, you should say something. Maybe a certain person will learn that you cant keep stepping on toes especially if you want to remain on the list without a bunch of people that truly do not like you.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 12-21-2001, 04:30 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

ohhh, ouch. Gee guys, why not just settle your differences and leave it be in the spirit of Skip's snowman?
Old 12-21-2001, 04:59 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am beyond sick of reading the "You suck" You don't know ****" "Mine is better than yours" posts.

Tim - Just build your kits the way you think is best. You and your company make excellent products. Everyone has diffrent ideas, tastes, and experience. I think your kit is awsome, but agree that there is a way to intercool any blower setup. If you want to do it, you can. Sure, it may cost $10,000 and another $100,000 in R&D. So be it, but it can be done. I think that this is Tabor's point. On the flip side, there is no better kit on the market in my opinion. Hell, this is a very new thing for the 944. What, Rimmer and SOK had their kit for 2 years now? Turbos have been around since the 60's, and look how advanced we are with them now.

Tabor - I am with you on this, but don't blast the friggin guy. I am sure there are a million things that you do on a daily basis that we could pick apart. I am sure that there are a million things that we could pick apart that Tim does, but that is not the function of this board. Make a point, but no need for personal attacks on abuisness or individual. That is what Pelican is for. I am sure you know a substantial amount about intercooling. You always have great research and posts. Just the same, I am sure Tim knows his ****. He works on it every day, must research it to keep cost low, and make it perform.

To all the rest of you. Buy a product that you like and matches what you want. Be it a Whipple (have one on a PT Cruiser and like it), a Vortech (installed one on a 5.0), Roots Type (run one on a 7000hp Top Fuel Dragster), Huntley, SFR, Rimmer, or SOK kit. They all are diffrent for diffrent applications. Do your own research.

Tim and John are trying to do a sell job, just the same as Derrick from Huntley. Hell, almost every buisnessman will do a sell job whever they can. I do.

My suggestion.. let up. Huntley and SFR have not had a single Dyno runm with either system. Wait and see. they could make 10hp or 1000hp. You never know. Personally, I would wait a while to see what others think, and see the reliability of the product. Ranter than slamming them with questions and such KIND words, let them work it out, then get after it.

The last thing we need is more "you don;t know ****" posts, because there is always someone that knows more than you.

Thank you, goodnight, tip your waitress.

EDIT: And for the type-o's, hell with it. I am on my 23rd hour at work and have another 10 to go. I am lucky to be able to type at this point.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:26 AM
my944
Pro

Tabor Kelly quote:
"I can write code all day long..."

WELL THAT EXPLAINS A LOT!!! You have to be a pretty intelligent person to write code all day. I guess you need something to make up for your complete lack of personable skills!

It always comes across like you are trying to create a controversy by intentionally starting arguments on this board. I gather it is because you are just a lonely person (AKA: Socially Inept)that is really just trying to get attention. Did your mother let you nurse too long or something?

Tabor, you know, I just find you to be an annoying child. With such a vast knowledge base, why don't you try to read a book about social skills. You may get farther in life. And even if you don't, at least you might have a shot at having some friends!
Old 12-21-2001, 10:55 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

what is an "aftercooler"? If its what it sounds like.....why would that be benifitial?

oh and merry christmas again............

Old 12-21-2001, 03:09 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by TurboTim:
<STRONG>I would have left this alone but......you insulted myself and our company!</STRONG>
I asked that you acknowledge the ability to intercool a roots supercharger. Instead you took a cheap shop at me, something about my number of posts. Only then did I point out your questionable business practices. Furthermore, I did not call you unknowledgeable. I said that your initial comments made you look unknowledgeable. You proved that you were knowledgeable (at least to some extent) in your long post about air-to-water intercoolers.

Now, why do you seem irate? I didn't say anything bad about your kit. I didn't say that centrifugal superchargers are a poor choice. I complemented you on your 951 intake manifold. How do you repay me? With plebeian insults about my number of posts. Thank you very much.

Jeremy D,

"Mommy, Mommy there is a mean man on the Internet. He hurt my feelings." -Really, I don't care what you think of my social skills.

Quick Reply: SFR supercharger kits are finished!