Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealership rudeness stories

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 01:38 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony K
Then again, I don't walk around pretending to have a lot of money, hoping to get my butthole licked by a salesman, like some people seem to do for cars they can't afford....
No doubt. I worked at a dealership once. Briefly. I've never been lied to so much in my life. There is a reason salesmen get so jaded. It takes a special person to sell cars, and treat every person you meet like a million bucks.

Personally, I couldn't handle the non-stop lies, and left for greener pastures. I book more in sales each day than I could in a month of selling cars, so I made the right choice. In some industries carrying a "senior sales rep" tag still means something.

It wasn't all wasted time. I learned how to be a good car buyer. I choose who I buy from, and I've had vehicles traded between dealers so that I could deal with the salesman I wanted. If you have the money and you're ready to play ball, game on. If you don't, you are wasting somebody's time. If they're unwilling/unable to recognize you're for real, give up on them quick and go find yourself a pro.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the parts dealership today to order some interior pieces. The guy at the counter was nice as could be; saying "hello sir ", "how may I help you sir" "oh, some seats and interior pieces ,sir, no problem. What year snd model sir?"
When I answered 88 944 the sirs disappeared and the hey man's came out. After slowly punching random crap into his computer he informed me he wanted to close shop and he would call tomorrow with the prices for everything.
That was after being quoted $3,200 per seat! What f@%& ***** on this guy. Needless to say, they will not make a single cent from me
Old 10-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitt944
I went to the parts dealership today to order some interior pieces. The guy at the counter was nice as could be; saying "hello sir ", "how may I help you sir" "oh, some seats and interior pieces ,sir, no problem. What year snd model sir?"
When I answered 88 944 the sirs disappeared and the hey man's came out.
That's unfortunate, but at least he showed his true colors. Makes it easier for you to avoid him.

After going to every dealer in town for parts, I settled on the dealership that employed professionals. I've developed the relationship to the point where one employee offered to lend me one of his own helmets for my first DE, since I didn't own one yet. How's that for service?

It takes two to tango. Good customers should get good service. To be a good customer doesn't necessarily mean you've spent a ton of money, as they certainly have a host of customers at that dealership that have spent far more than me.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Sasquatch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually have a good report of a dealership. Our local dealer is not local at all, but rather about 300 miles away. Carrera Motors in Bend, Oregon.

While on a week long motorcycle trip of the PNW, 3 of my friends and I stopped into Carrera to see the then new Cayenne. We all ride sportbikes. We pulled into the dealership, in full leathers and gear, and started checking out the Cayenne.

Jim Scott, the salesman came out to introduce himself. After the introduction, we politely informed him that we were: a) from out of town, b) just looking and c) if you combined all 4 of our salaries, we probably still couldn't afford a Cayenne. We promised to not get in his way and to not let us hold him back from another customer who might actually buy something.

What happened next blew all of our minds. He simply said "nonsense" and proceeded to give us the "red carpet" tour of not only the entire Cayenne, but his entire delaership. Service, parts, sales, etc. When we were all done (about an hour later) he then said, "You gentlemen ready to drive the Cayenne?" We restated that no matter how much we loved it, there was no financial possiblity of any of us buying one. Again, he blew that statement off and said something about maybe someday we will be able and wisked us back out to the Cayenne. We all piled in, and with him driving initially, gave us a complete tour of the inside features and capabilities of the pepper. Once out in the country, he pulled over and started rotating us all through the drivers seat. We were each allowed to drive the pepper rather hard, and for about 10-15 miles in some twisty roads.

After it was all said and done, we bid our good byes and found our hotel for the night.

Not all dealerships are evil. Jim Scott, and the people at Carrera were first rate and I would not hesitate to give them my future Porsche (or Audi/BMW) business. They took the time to show 4 scruffy biker types how wonderfull the Cayenne really is.

And yes, within a couple of years, I will own a Pepper. It will be a used one, but it is already in the works.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my dad sold Fords back in the early 60's and he still tells the story about when a guy came into the dealership and nobody would wait on the guy. My dad finished up with his present customer and went over to the guy. Now this guy was a farmer, still dressed in his working clothes. He wanted to see a Lincoln, dad showed it to him and took the time to go over the features and give the guy his card. The guy took dad's card, asked to buy the Lincoln on the spot. Of course, dad says ok, and how would he like to handle the transaction. The farmer in overalls pulled out the entire amount, in cash, from his front pocket, much to the amazement of the rest of the staff. Dad made a good sale and had the guy's business from then on, and he bought a couple more cars later before dad left the dealer. Moral of the story to all you sales types out there is not to judge a potential sale by the look or age.

That said, at the local dealer in Greensboro, Foreign Cars Italia, the sales staff can be very snotty, but the guy behind the parts counter is very cool and likes older Porsches. As he puts it, they're more driver oriented and great fun to blast around the twisties in. Nice guy and the only one I'll talk with while I'm there.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Porsche dealer in Austin had terrible salespeople, rude as could be. However, I had such a good relationship with the parts counter that we went to lunch on a pretty regular basis. When I needed a part double ASAP, they used one off of one of their own cars and just ordered a new one. Total charge to me $0.00. When no one could get parts and technical reference manuals my guy told me if I ordered the pack of 12 and could make sure they all sold (i.e. you buy what is left) he would get them. I offered the deal to the Porschelist, 11 sold in 1 day, when I went to pay for mine he gave it to me free. Said he never thought I would get them all sold!

2) Park Place Lexus in Dallas was so rude that I went and bought a BMW the same day.

3) In college there were two Chevrolet dealer within 15 miles. One was so poor that you would have had to drag me in there, the other was A+. A friend of mine from church bought a brand new 96 Grand Prix. The car was a POS from the day they bought it, they complained to the dealer they bought it from and that dealer just told them tough luck. They went to the dealer north of Waco and when they asked to speak to someone about their problem, they ended up speaking to the owner of the dealership. He made 2 phone calls, spent 20 mins with them (gave their kids hot chocolate, let them watch the TV, etc) and then allowed them to pick any car on the lot. Since they did NOT want another Pontiac, they chose a Chevy Van. He wouldnt let them pay the difference, wouldnt take a dime for extended warranty transfer etc. The following Monday, he called them to make sure they were happy. Needless to say, they told everyone they knew. That guy probably sold 100+ cars for his time. At that dealership, they just understood customer service.

The problem with new car dealers is that there are VERY few that understand the customer experience is from cradle to grave. If you treat someone rudely in the showroom they may not ever come back for anything (parts, service, etc). Conversely, if you treat someone badly in the service dept, they may buy from another dealer or make.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:57 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Even though we all love this old car- the gouging and insubordination of us "obsolete" Porsche owners is a trend started by a high-pressure, unstrung sales manager, at the Reno HQ. Being in sales- I can understand by training all sales professionals to work productively- begins by identifying all customer prospects by four established stereotype personalities. I dont want to engage in a lecture for salesmen, so lets say among the four personalities....maybe two are most receptive to consider a purchase in the near future. The other two is a complete waste of time. By asking targeted questions to all prospects, a salesman can categorize the personality type within 30 seconds.

To me- this is all BS. My way of selling intangibles(stocks, bonds, Mutual Funds, Insurance, etc.) simply entailed putting my best foot forward, and to BE THEIR FRIEND. Once this is established- a complete stranger can suddenly belie trust upon you, rivaling your own parents! Our Porsche
$tealers are simply trained to ignore everybody that doesnt "look" like a purchasing customer. I find that a repugnant way to conduct business. However, Porsche, AG has no objections to the way their #1 exporter sells cars. Ferry & Co. just loves the numbers the US pitchmen are generating.

The prevalent snob-factor Porsche $tealer sales staff exerts is their way of keeping you from being a disraraction to their busy day. Unless you ARE SERIOUS about test-driving the Cayenne....."then please complete this financial statement, and credit application...
Old 10-10-2004, 09:42 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Stay away from P&W Audi in Wasington, PA/Pittsburgh............extremely arrogant people..........and the sales manager is the worst!

Quick Reply: Porsche dealership rudeness stories