Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** GAUGEPOD PILLAR UPDATE (1/15/2002) ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 01:21 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post *** GAUGEPOD PILLAR UPDATE (1/15/2002) ***

Ok guys - I've recieved 2 phonecalls from LoTek Engineering (Saturday and Monday) requesting another OEM pillar trim piece. Apparently the status is this: The molding/casting is done on the gaugepods, but the donor OEM piece did not survive in a condition suitable for use as a guide for creating a jig to trim the final products to fit correctly as the OEM piece does.

I've been REALLY busy (illness in family and I joined the Army today) and have not had a chance to pull the second OEM pillar trim piece from my vehicle, much less box it or ship it to LoTek. So at this point I have held up the process for the last few days.

I appreciate all of your continued patience in this - I know it is already behind schedule, but I am doing what I can. I have paid enough already in shipping the prototypes and OEM pieces back and forth to have purchased two additional units, as well as donating the (now both of the) donor trim pieces. What I'm saying is that I'm doing my best here to get us a quality product, and please excuse this final delay on account of me.

In the meantime - LoTek is shipping me one of the gaugepod pillars (they have eyeballed this one to trim it) to double-check the fitment and look it over, etc.

When that arrives, I will do my best to get it installed THAT day and if I can sneak the digital camera from the office, will post pics on the Rennlist Forums at that time.

I know we are all anxious to recieve this product (I know I definitely am), but I feel that ensuring proper trimming of these pieces is worth this delay.

Old 01-17-2002, 03:56 PM
keith
Drifting

Alright guys - received the prototype in the mail last night, and got it installed and photographed (below).

Some issues: Yes, they DEFINITELY need the OEM to know where to properly trim these things, - and to know where to put the holes! (as shown below).

There is an issue with the back side of the upper pod bowing outward and not making anything resembling a seal with the pillar on the windshield side.

I believe this is a trimming issue (too much material was removed?) and shouldn't be a huge deal for LoTek to correct.

The middle screw location (now the lower screw) was mis-located on the prototype, so I moved it.

The angle of the gaugepods, both together and relative to each other, actually changed from the mockup to the prototype. The pods were moved INTO the pillar more (by almost 3/4"!) to make more room for visibility, but in doing so, they rotated up into the windshield space, so it's the same difference in the end. The upper pod is slightly askew compared to the lower, the result of the actual geography of the pillar itself, which narrows as it rises from the dashbaord.

All in all, it is definitely not a Porsche produced product, but with proper care during fitment, it should look that way!

BTW - expect to experience claustrophobia driving with it for the first day or so (I did!)

Anyway the pics should be self-explanatory, If not, ask away.

In addition, here is another pic of my bada$$ ****er:
Old 01-17-2002, 04:47 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everything sounds good, Keith, but I have one question: why is your shifter wearing glasses?

Thaddeus
Old 01-17-2002, 05:02 PM
keith
Drifting

cause it's so f!@#ing cool...!

When someone who already has an adapted-from-another-application gaugepod receives their's, I'd like to hear a quality comparison...

I'd also like a group to get together to have a single-pod version made (I'm flaky - I want a single-pod version too!)
Old 01-17-2002, 05:24 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the update...
Old 01-17-2002, 06:39 PM
Paladin..
Track Day

Keith, this is a little off topic, but that's the Competizione shifter ****, from Momo, right?
Old 01-17-2002, 08:00 PM
keith
Drifting

yes, it is.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:17 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Keith, don't worry my shifter wears glasses like that too.

Congrats on joining the Army. What prompted that?

Take care and good luck in boot camp (if you haven't already been).

-Matt
Old 01-17-2002, 08:34 PM
keith
Drifting

Well, it was my fall-back plan for paying my college loans off (but I was going to wait until AFTER graduate school) but Mr. Osama ruined my timing.

The way I figure it, I was going anyway, so the right thing to do was to go now - It seems we need intelligent help in the service at these times.

About 10 minutes after the 2nd plane, I left work to tell my girlfriend I was enlisting at this time, instead of after grad school, then I proposed to her.

It has taken this long to get an enlistment package that was satisfactory, and the hoops a college graduate has to jump through to join the service during a conflict are so trying, I almost shelved the whole thing.

But, it worked itself out this week.
I should be in Germany in July.
(with the Porsche)
(and the wife)

Anyway, thanks for asking!
Old 01-17-2002, 09:06 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

what type of shifter is that?
also where can i get that gauge pod?(how much is it?
Old 01-17-2002, 09:31 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Here is where to get the gauge pod http://www.gaugepods.com/944.html
Old 01-18-2002, 05:08 PM
keith
Drifting

Alright, I just sent ANOTHER OEM pillar cover and the proto-production piece back in the mail (Being that Monday is a holiday, I expect they'll recieve it Wednesday, since Lo-Tek is 3 hours from me...).

Now I have 2 cars with naked A pillars.

I hope they production pieces start arriving soon.

Post here when you guys start receiving them, please.

Old 01-18-2002, 05:49 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ROTFLMAO

poor mouse

Quick Reply: *** GAUGEPOD PILLAR UPDATE (1/15/2002) ***