Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 NA Exhaust, WWYD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 08:03 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 86 NA Exhaust, WWYD?

Hello all, been a while since I have posted a question...

SO my family got a little inheritance, my sis got a computer for college, and my father who had to drive my car for a couple weeks says I'm getting a cut and it going to go to replacing that damn glasspack! He says "you don't want to start going deaf like me"... I promptly say "huh?" <smack>

So I'm ready to replace the whole exhaust system and want to know what you would do (even you turbo guys).

What I have now:
*Cast Iron 2-2-1 headers (yuck)
*"generic" non origonal cat (has smoked at the track)
*older glasspack (never had anything "tame" on there)

What I intend on replacing:
*Headers. MSDS? Ceramic coated I think. GRM didn't see any stellar gains...
*Muffler. Hooker? Ansa? Ravin? I want good performance (flow) but a more tame cruising sound (no wwII bomber)... But I still want it to scream when appropriate! Not a fan of "turbo" muffler designs...
*Fanged cat / Test Pipe
*maybe all re-piped?

So what do you think? Brands, types, thoughts? This car will be with me for a good while, seeing track days and the like. I'll be playing with intakes, ignition systems, and cams one of these days...

TIA for your insight, espically on the muffler department....
Old 09-02-2001, 10:58 PM
951carter
Racer

i would suggest a b&b tri-flo. they are a little pricey but worth it, it is going on a porsche after all.they are very well built and nice sounding while remaining tasteful. this reccomendation is for a street car. headers and test pipe would be great also.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:37 PM
d richard
Instructor

You don't mention what year, but since you have the cast iron boat anchors it must be before 85? Anyway I have an early 85 and recently bought a set of manifolds from ebay that are sheetmetal. I know "sheetmetal" but they came off of an 88 944. They saved about 10 lbs and I paid a grand total of $9.44(plus shipping) The seller had a real sense of humor!!
The only thing I had to do was slot 2 of the stud holes. They didn't seem to line up right. I of course painted and baked them.
Just a cheap suggestion.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:50 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a recent thread regarding the hooker muffler...the user seemed to like it. Try searching the archives...I found that recent thread by searching for "hooker"

the thread i was talking about

Good luck! I've heard good things about the quality of the MSDS headers..See the following link:

This place modded the car and I believe they installed MSDS headers and commented positively on the quality
Old 09-03-2001, 01:35 AM
PSUice944
Pro

Arrow

continuing on...

Ok, well the car is an 86, thought I said that... but the cast iron confusion came from right when I bought the ride, my manifold had an exhaust flange crack. Dave, my wrench, told me he had these from an older motor and that they would never break and cheap! Time to graduate...

B&B Tri-flow? Aren't they basically the same build as a flowmaster but more expensive? Dunno how a set of good 'ole flows would work on a 944! Maybe I should try it...

The hooker aerochamber, yeah, I was on that thread, still an option.

MSDS Headers as used by GRM gave them ok dyno results with stock (removed modded) chips (plus they did the intake too...). I figure I will be going with MSDS due to quality and price.

My big question regarding the headers is to get them ceramic coated or not. Have heard that this helps to dump a lot of heat into the cat, but mine will be removable! ?

So I guess my questions form into:

a. Ceramic coat the headers?

b. Which performance muffler? (where from would be helpful too)

Damn I love this list...
Old 09-04-2001, 04:24 AM
Craig944
Banned

If you're sure you wanna go with MSDS *sigh.
Get a DynoMax Muffler for sure.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:12 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Craig, No MSDS?

I understand you are enjoying Bursch all around now, may I ask what their header design was (2-2-1 or 4-1), stainless, cost, installation difficulty, and any ceramic coating? Plus, where did ya get em!

I was thinking about a Dynomax muffler, but if I remember right, aren't they basically like a glasspack? Granted, I love the loudness, but its getting old. Can you have a conversation and the radio on (audibly) while driving your ride? At this time I cannot without shouting!

Ansa seems to be moving up the list, we shall see.... Anyone use the Midas "performance" Ravin muflers? They have an interesting design concept...
Old 09-04-2001, 05:37 PM
Craig944
Banned

I can't hear it until 3.5K when radio is on.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:51 PM
rfuerst
Racer

Yes I am running the Midas Ravin muffler on my 1987-944S,had it installed about 4-5 months ago,seems to be good quality and nice sound,not raspy but a nice growl.Plus you get a nationwide warranty.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:14 PM
instigator
Racer

the bursch catback sys. have dynomax super turbo mufflers on them. if you go the dynomax route get the ultra flo stainless muffler i got one from a-1 performance for $80 and also got a $25 rebate from dynomax. not bad for a stainless superturbo muffler
Old 09-05-2001, 11:18 PM
Ryan Z.
Intermediate

Question

about how much was the Ravin' install @ midas?.....satisfied?...good soundage? I may look into it...looks good on theri web-site....but I shall have to see.

Ryan Z.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:12 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

I'll gladly second the recommendation for the B&B Tri-Flo. I installed one on my 951 after The Great Rebuild, and I couldn't be happier. It's quiet and tame at low RPM, and sounds GREAT when you rev it up a little bit or put a load on the engine. Windward seems to have the best price around - I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $650 for my 951 cat-back.

If you're concerned about noise and passing emissions in your state, not to mention being able to legally drive your car on the highway - I'd give strong consideration to having a new CAT installed in your car. A test pipe won't earn you more than 5-7 HP on a 944 NA, and you may not get THAT much of a benefit.

Greg
Old 09-06-2001, 06:11 PM
rfuerst
Racer

Ryan Z,when I had the Ravin muffler installed I had Midas cut off my factory exhaust behind the cat,then they bent up a exhaust and installed the muffler with a nice chrome tip,total price with tax was a little over $300.00 and yes I am very happy with quality,sound and install.Keep in mind that Ravin mufflers can be purchased in 3 different sound levels,I purchased the middle sound level and am very happy.
Old 09-06-2001, 07:03 PM
PSUice944
Pro

rfuerst944s, I know this is an vague question, but could you compare the Ravin sound versus the stock sound? And how does it sound when cruising down the highway? Do people know when you let it rip (including you)?

I've enjoyed the head turning volume of my glasspack, but tis old... I would still like to retain some of that volume at appropriate times!

Its also nice to hear Midas bent some pipe for ya too, I'm going to need a place that can do my whole system, headers and all...

TIA

Quick Reply: 86 NA Exhaust, WWYD?