Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 86 Turbo :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013 | 08:33 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
I've heard from a number of people that have removed the torsion bars and gone to 100% coil overs in the rear are ripping the rear shock mounts out.
I've heard this, but after some searching, I haven't found a single doccumented case. There is a good number of 100% coilover cars out there with a lot of track time that show no damage.

That said...

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Fit 220# regular aftermarket springs up front, 1in lower with Koni dampers and up the rear torsion bars to match. Fit 968 M030 sways front and rear, new bushes and enjoy.
The above is what I would do to this car and I am a coilover owner.

Coilovers are not a pain on the street, but they are an unnessisary luxury for those few times you make an adjustment.

Any change in height will change the camber, every time.
Yes.
Old 06-16-2013 | 08:44 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
I've heard from a number of people that have removed the torsion bars and gone to 100% coil overs in the rear are ripping the rear shock mounts out.
I've heard this, but after some searching, I haven't found a single doccumented case. There is a good number of 100% coilover cars out there with a lot of track time that show no damage.
I personally know of a 924 owner of caged track car that had continual problems with this. Granted, he was running some serious spring, but still, why take the chance when there is no detriment to handling performance by leaving them in?

The torsion bar is actually 2 bars, one for each side, each with it's own anchor block, which keeps each side independent.

Further, it is true that the 944 and 924 are not the same car, but have the rear shock mounts really changed between the 2 evolutions of the platform?

What's the downside to torsion bars? I haven't found any. What is your experience?
Old 06-16-2013 | 09:00 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Do you have any pictures of the failure? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just interesting you can't seem to find any evidence here or on 924board. I was afraid of the mounts failing myself, but the lack of occurrences has eased my fears. It would be foolish to say it can't happen though. I inspect mine several times a year.

I am fully aware of how the torsion bars work. I have had my rear suspension out twice.

The downside of torsion bars comes in servicing the car, making adjustments, and changing spring rates. I already covered that on the previous page. Doing this with just coilovers is much easier. Keep in mind, I'm not even recommending coilovers to the OP. I don't think he needs them.

I 100% agree that coilovers as helper springs is safer, but you are not gaining anything over just running larger torsion bars until you get to the point where torsion bars are not made big enough.
Old 06-16-2013 | 09:05 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

If you're constantly making adjustments, OK fine. I've got a good setup that works for me, so I leave it alone.

To each his own, to each for their needs.
Old 06-16-2013 | 09:10 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
If you're constantly making adjustments, OK fine. I've got a good setup that works for me, so I leave it alone.

To each his own, to each for their needs.
I completely agree. That's why I'm recommending welt springs and torsion bars to the OP. the ONLY reason I have coilovers is because I was young, single and working full time. If I were to do it again, I would do larger torsion bars. That said, having the coilovers has made life easier. It is a luxury, but not needed.
Old 06-16-2013 | 09:15 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Thanks guys for the tips... I think I got the bigger calipers already, the Laos owner said they were swapped. I'll snap a pic so u guys can confirm or deny. I'm looking for a stiff street machine that will see very limited track time. I'm thinking 18's for the street look. But if the right 17's show up I'd roll those. About going really low, how low is too low that I start damaging the arms? I like those cars that are almost slammed. What's the benefit to coils over regular springs beside the adjustable height with coils?
Old 06-16-2013 | 09:24 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

The only advantage to coilovers (up front) is making height adjustments and changing spring rates. If you won't be doing either, don't bother. I changed my ride height three times in the first year or so but haven't touched it in a few.

I won't comment on how low it too low. I'm bout 1.5in lower than stock but I've got cheap and easy to replace front suspension.

Member "Drift a 944" probably has the most experience with slamming a 944.
Old 06-16-2013 | 09:31 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by XrussianX
....About going really low, how low is too low that I start damaging the arms? I like those cars that are almost slammed. What's the benefit to coils over regular springs beside the adjustable height with coils?
You are restricted on how low you can go with the aluminum front A-arms on your 86. In particular the ball joints on those arms, the arms have to be parallel to the ground when the car is stationary. You can however fit early steel arms which will give you a bit more leeway, but not much.

The other main advantage with coilovers is you have an almost infinite range of spring rates to choose from.
Old 06-16-2013 | 09:36 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

The other main advantage with coilovers is you have an almost infinite range of spring rates to choose from.
Avalibility is another positive I forgot about. One of my coworkers has a small supply of different spring rates for his ford roadster. The springs are the same hight and diameter I need for my 924s. He said I am free to try them whenever I want. Swapping them is an easy half hour job.
Old 06-16-2013 | 09:52 PM
XrussianX
Pro

I see... So in inches, how low can I drop without doing damage? And what spring rate front back would u guys suggest for a very sporty almost racy feel?
Old 06-16-2013 | 10:24 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

You do sir if you want your tires to wear evenly. Any change in height will change the camber, every time.
Negligible, unless you already have lots of neg camber before lowering. I've been running more than -2* camber with my lowered car for thousands of miles, no tire wear issues whatsoever...
Old 06-16-2013 | 10:42 PM
83 944
Pro

Beautiful example of a 951 you got there great find!

Non sports seats but that's okay they are still great seats for 2k I would buy bilstein HDs all around with some 28mm torsion bars and a cool over kit for the front with 350# springs. And still have 1200 left over. Then you can find a used maf kit, waste gate and diverted valve and some chips and call it a day! Bring your power up 50hp or so and have an amazing handling quick reliable 951

Fuel lines need to be replace make sure the t belt it replaced and water pump makes no noise and doesn't leak. Make sure vacuum lines are in good shape and inter cooler couplers are not cracked.

Good luck! And keep her clean
Old 06-16-2013 | 11:59 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Did the stock 86 turbo come with 4 piston calipers front and rear?
Old 06-17-2013 | 01:14 AM
XrussianX
Pro

Also how do I lower the rear? There's no springs, and if I get let's say 300lbs springs what do I do to the rear to match or compliment the front? Sounds like its easier to go coilovers. I'm just used to springs front and rear from modern cars. Honestly, would the car perform better with full coils vs the torsion bars?
Old 06-17-2013 | 01:43 AM
pops 83 944
Racer

Here you go on lowering the rear of your car

Quick Reply: New to me 86 Turbo :)