Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who thinks the new classifieds suck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001 | 01:58 PM
ddramoneshaw
Intermediate

I also agree, it's a pain in the *** to check now
Old 12-12-2001 | 02:04 PM
keith
Drifting

well, in Jon D's defense, I believe he makes "improvements" to the site to, well, improve the site.

I just don't think this is an "improvement" for members who are always on the hunt for deals...

I mean, if non-members had to search through jumbled listings, fine, whatever. But MEMBERS should have EASY access to ALL the 944 ads, etc., etc.

Not click, click, click, then 3 ads...
Old 12-12-2001 | 03:17 PM
Bill K
Intermediate

I understand why he did it, but it is having the opposite effect. It was designed to favor sellers who are members, but by still having a free section, it isn't working. I don't check the items for sale by the members because there are much fewer ads and it is not worth it to me to make 3 more clicks and wait for the long download on my dialup connection. So, in effect, his new system works against the paid members. If he wants to help the members, he should just add features only for members such as pictures and links, but keep them all in the same place. I think in the end, segregating the classified sellers won't work. He needs to either make it all free again or all for pay. Have the ads free for members and charge a nominal posting fee such as $1 for non-members and go back to the old layout.

My $.02

Bill
Old 12-12-2001 | 10:20 PM
John Welch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Speaking of throwing in $.02... How many of you whiners are actually Rennlist members? Do you have any idea how much hardware/software/time is being invested in this site? I'm sure you guys wouldn't mind working for free for a couple of years, and if you're lucky, you might even get a few hundred people to pay for such a valuable service.

I still don't get it? Why does Rennlist HAVE to be here again? Isn't it some free government supported website?

That must be what you entitled ones think...

Just my $16.95/yr...
Old 12-13-2001 | 04:03 AM
belz
Instructor

Thumbs down

Hey John-
The way I see it... I'm "entitled" to my opinion.
And, in my opinion, whether you're a member or not, the new classifieds suck.
Old 12-13-2001 | 07:29 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Thumbs down

As a potential buyer I don't care whether the ad is by a member or not. All I care is the model. The new format does not take this little detail into account as well as the old one did. So my opinion, I understand why it was changed by I don't like it.
Anthony
(card carrying member)
Old 12-13-2001 | 08:08 AM
Danno
Race Director

I actually like this new format for the classifieds. I don't really know why, but I have no problems with it.
Old 12-13-2001 | 08:14 AM
pikey7
Drifting

You also have to remember that guests will have a browse to see ho useful the services are, before they register. A complicated format will be very off-putting for them, and consequently the attraction of new customers will be less.

Personally, I think it's a pain (But then I don't pay)
Old 12-13-2001 | 09:40 AM
keith
Drifting

Yeah, I'm a member, and I find this "improvement" makes my shopping more difficult. I would rather pay a percentage of each sale/purchase to John D. than "benefit" from this "improvement" designed to increase the benefits of membership.

And, I don't think anyone was personaly ATTACKING John, we all APPRECIATE this vehicle for discussion. (I have for almost 5 years) - I don't understand why there are always a few who rise up to "defend the righteous!" whenever there is a criticism of a change in format around here. Geez - John is pretty good at speaking his peace when it is warranted...
Old 12-13-2001 | 10:08 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

John Welch,

Yeah I am a member, and since I am actively seeking a replacement for the 951, I use the classifieds every day---and the new format sucks. I didn't read any posts knocking the hard work that John D. and Jen do in providing this great forum for everyone, we are just offering some feedback. However, if you sell me your S4, I will rescind all comments regarding the new format .

Eric--Rennlist member
Old 12-13-2001 | 02:27 PM
John Welch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually Eric, if you truly browse the ads EVERY day, there aren't THAT many NEW items added that you would have to sift through.

I agree that the declassification of the ads isn't the nicest, but for people to complain that someone wants to gain income from the work they receive is ridiculous.

This was all in response to the following quote-quote,"The time of all the FREE Dot.com days are over."

I still don't understand why these things should be FREE, and if they are how you can complain about something that is free.
Old 12-13-2001 | 02:49 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Uh - guys/gals - while the new format may take some getting used to, remember that on the left there there's a search feature. Try going into the parts area, and searching for "944" and all you get are the 944 items.

I applaude John and Jen's efforts and while the new format is taking a little "getting used to" for me - it does the job, and well at that.

thanks! (My opinion of course...)

Jay
86 951
Toolmaster
Old 12-13-2001 | 04:49 PM
John D.
Banned

Hmmm.... OK - let's see... I'm SURE you have all been waiting for me to add my "$0.00002" (well - maybe you haven't waited for me to say "my say", but now I'm going to anyway )

First - I really do chuckle when I read "Rennlist Staff" or the "Administration" or whatever. Fact is - there is Jen and there is me (Hi - I'm John..). Rennlist started out since early in 1998 - as a free e-mail list server. I did the programming and hosted the site during the "off hours" of my real job – and pretty much, I only had to spend maybe an hour or so a day on the maintenance. It was prtty neat – we had about 5,000 folks and we sent only a couple of hundred thousand e-mails a day from the 10 or 12 lists).

Well to make a long story short – not much has changed, except the demands of the site with over 85,000 visitors a day, 200 ADMIN e-mail messages, the e-mail lists posting anywhere from 100 – 150 messages in 24 hours to about 50,000 e-mail subscribers, etc. OK – so Rennlist has gotten pretty big – that has changed. Oh sure – Jen and I still try to do this “part time” (if you call about 8-10 hours a day “part time), but Rennlist doesn’t pay us for our time. So, Jen and I have real jobs – Jen’s is outside the office and I still run my other business. In fact, the Member fees, Sponsors banner ads and such DO however pay for the systems, the Internet connections, the software, etc., etc. – and at the end of the month, if we have some beer money left over, that’s terrific. But, there isn’t too much left over for site improvements, new software, systems and such.

Now – with that being said….

The Classifieds Section on Rennlist is HUGE (as you all know). I make nothing from the sale of products. We don’t charge a fee. We still support them – BUT, the old classifieds took approximately two hours, each and EVERY day to manage and administer. Folks would post an ad in each category. E-mail addresses were improperly entered. Folks couldn’t upload their photos, folks couldn’t figure out how to modify their ad. Heck – I’d get about five ADMIN e-mails a day asking (well – usually TELLING me) that my Classifieds were broken since they couldn’t upload a picture the size of California into their ad. So they send me their picture and tell me to upload it for them… HUH?

Now – when ads were allowed to sit in the wrong categories, or e-mail addresses didn’t work, or a vendor SPAMMED all the categories in the databases and all the Classifieds – who, exactly – do you think took the Flames that our Classifieds “suck”? Well – it wasn’t the advertiser – it was the good old ADMIN account on Rennlist…. Yep “our staff”..

Anyway – you bet, I will support paying members and Sponsors with the BEST new services, features and technical support. At the same time – I will also make any changes I can to REDUCE my administrative time in the “Free” parts of the site. The recent changes to the Classifieds (with ANOTHER change yet TODAY so you CAN find 944 parts more easily and quickly) accomplished exactly that – it reduces the amount of time required to administer that “Free Area”…

Now – to John W.’s point of "The time of all the FREE Dot.com days are over." Is exactly correct. Frankly, there is no such thing as “something of value which is free”. It’s both an oxymoron in terms and frankly, why a lot of “Dot.coms” are no longer on the Internet. What folks forget is that Rennlist doesn’t sell Rennlist Parts to pay for the site (in hopes of making you a parts customer), we don’t sell cars, we don’t require membership to participate (for comparison – go to the PCA website and “Browse their Ads” in their “Mart” – or try to post to their Forums without being a PCA member??). Rennlist is funded totally and fundamentally from those who understand the “value” of the community and the service it provides in and of itself.

Certainly a scary proposition to base any “business model” on – especially when folks demand “value” for no cost – as someone has to pay for that “value”…??? In spite of that – here are a few “Flames” I’ve taken over the “Free Classifieds” for your viewing pleasure. And if you are like me – you’ll probably view the comments with some acrimony:

"I advertise on Rennlist and makes thousands of dollars of sales each week -how dare you change the classifieds so people can't find my ads FIRST!".... (No, they are not a Rennlist member or sponsor...)

"I am going to report you to PCA..".. (Huh? To even view the PCA Ads you have to be a member at $40+ a year. Is this guy a Rennlist Member? 'Course not...)

"I would rather set up my own Classifieds then pay Rennlist a single $! I sell all my stuff on Rennlist - so I DO NOT HAVE TO BE A MEMBER!!!"...

"To the Rennlist Staff: You have F$$$ED up my ability to sell my parts! You have killed a great thing. You SU$K.." (I added the fillers ).

Anyway – I choose to support those who support this site – and keep Boards and discussion forums such as these free for ANYONE to post to without being a paying Member. If that means that I reduce *my* costs in offering a more manageable “Free Classifieds” section altogether – then I’d say it’s a terrific trade-off. Frankly, I’d prefer to buy my cars, parts and “stuff” from folks who do support this same site and ethic. Without them – “we” wouldn’t be here…

‘Course – next time you are “cruising” the “Free Ads” – why don’t you ask any one of the hundreds of Commercial Vendors that sell thousands of dollars a month to Rennlist visitors – why they don’t bother to support their primary marketing channel through a Sponsorship – or by even having ONE of their employees become a Rennlist Member? I think you’ll be amazed at some of the replies you’ll get….

Just my $0.000002 from the other side of the computer screen…
Old 12-13-2001 | 05:18 PM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

John: I am sure that most of the forum users realize that any change to a computer system, takes a while work the bumps and lumps out and want to cut you some slack. As a rennlist user, I want to thank you for providing a great service.

Now about money, I used the 944 forum for a month or two and sent in dues for two years. My rennlist dues are the best value I have found since buying my 944. Personally, I think that you should restrict vendor classifieds to sponsors only. --Roy--
Old 12-13-2001 | 05:34 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Dear John and Jen,
I do not know you but I feel awful that I am included in the herd that flamed you for the changes made to the classifieds. I am obviously not too smart but I am mature enough to admit when I've been wrong and I offer my apology. More importantly, as soon as I send this post I will sign up as a member. I have only used the site for less than about 6 months. I did not know that you two were running this site essentially gratis. I obviously thought this was a profit maximization effort (not that that would be ALL bad). At any rate, I apologize. The site has given me a wealth of value. Thank you.
I hope others follow my lead and step up with words - but more importantly deeds - membership!

Quick Reply: Who thinks the new classifieds suck?