Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride heights.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 04:32 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 307 Likes on 201 Posts
Question ride heights.

Thanks to your help I lowered the rear of my 951 via the trailing blades. Now it sits nice with just enough clearance for my hand. Test drive revealed noticable pitch when braking from the front suspensions.
Should I cut the coil springs? If not I have adjustable Koni's on my 87 944, will they fit the 88-951? I wonder if the hubs are different.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 08-24-2001, 05:40 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never Ever cut your springs. You will end up with different spring rates on either side of your car.

Yes, you can use the 1987 Konis on your 1988 944 Turbo.

I suggest you get either a Front Coilover Kit or a set of Weltmeister Lowering Springs from Paragon Products
Old 08-24-2001, 04:25 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cut springs squeak. Didn't notice adverse handling, though (ran cut fronts for 6-7 mos.) Wouldn't do it again if I had other options.
Old 08-24-2001, 05:18 PM
Tabor
Drifting

The thing about cutting your springs is this: your stock springs have a spring rate of 160lbs/in as a whole. But there is not garantee that the spring rate is constant throughout the spring.

If you cut them, you can end up with a stiffer spring on one side than the other.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:36 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Tabor is correct, cutting your spring will definitely increase the stiffness of that spring. Think of it this way, the wire diameter of the spring hasn't changed but the length has. You can best picture this by thinking of a certain size torison bar...say 30mm. If it's 5 feet long it would be more easy to twist than it would if it was only 3 feet long. A spring is just a coiled torsion bar...shorten it and you've made it stiffer.

Paragon Products

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 08-24-2001, 07:33 PM
Macabre
Instructor

Agree with two posts above. Considering how many options there are for the front ride height.. I would think it would be silly to go about cutting the springs on this car (on a Honda that handles poorly anyways, who cares, but this is not a Honda). Anyways, aren't the OEM springs progressive? Seems like the results from cutting them could be extremely unpredictable.

I just got my front adjustable ride height/coilovers from Paragon today, a steal at $240 IMO (Thanks Jason!). They've even got a very wide range of spring weights you can choose from.
Old 08-25-2001, 12:02 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Jason @ Paragon Products:
<STRONG>Tabor is correct, cutting your spring will definitely increase the stiffness of that spring. Think of it this way, the wire diameter of the spring hasn't changed but the length has. You can best picture this by thinking of a certain size torison bar...say 30mm. If it's 5 feet long it would be more easy to twist than it would if it was only 3 feet long. A spring is just a coiled torsion bar...shorten it and you've made it stiffer.

Paragon Products</STRONG>
This is not the largest problem IMHO. The largest problem IMHO is that even if you cut 2 springs in exactly the same spot, they will not necisairly end up with the same spring rate.
Old 08-25-2001, 03:16 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyways, aren't the OEM springs progressive?
Nope, only the TurboS had conical progressive-rate springs (and some options).

This is not the largest problem IMHO. The largest problem IMHO is that even if you cut 2 springs in exactly the same spot, they will not necisairly end up with the same spring rate.
I'd like to see some quantitative testing on a statistically significant sample size for this statement. Given that manufacturing tolerances are such that Porsche had to code the springs with colored dots, there's already a wide variation in spring-rates coming out of the factory.

I would assert that cutting the springs would introduce variances that are less than the ranges that come out of the factory.

That said, there's a bigger problem with cutting stock springs; that is the miniscule increase in spring-rate won't make up for the loss of suspension travel.

If you take away 25% of your suspension travel by lowering your car, you have to increase the spring rate by at least that amount to prevent constant bottoming. The amount of increase in cutting the stock spring definitely does not even come CLOSE to being stiff enough.

Go with the coilover kit from Jason @ Paragon, one of the best upgrades I ever made (allowed me to use 10.5" wide front rims too .

Quick Reply: ride heights.