Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 944 broke down

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My 944 broke down

Took the beast for a spin this morning. It's a stripped down 944.
Got up to ??? no speedo. Then blue smoke was coming into the cabin. I guess oil was dripping on the exhaust making its way inside. Pushed the clutch in and the motor stalled. Still moving i engaged 3rd and it ran. But not well. So i pulled over to the side of the road and had a tow truck take me home.
The car will not start. It sounds like no compression. The timing belt/rollars are less than 1 year old. Covers are off the belts and they look like they are in good shape.
I pulled the spark plugs. All look good but #1 was wet with fuel.
Did a compression test and all 4 were either zero or less than 30.

Last night i installed a new hose from the ICV to the intake. The old one was brittle. It cured my poor idle problem.
At the back of the motor appears to be oil. It looks like it sprayed up to the hood and got the wires wet. But still have plenty of oil in the car.

So i guess i can start tearing into it today. But have to work this weekend so won't be able to do anything till Monday or Tuesday.

Any tips on what to check before i take off the intake/injection etc....?
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God I love your car...

But no compression on any cylinders... that's very strange. When you say it sounds like no compression, when you try to start it it spins fast?

Beat me to it Tank...

Maybe if the belt skipped it would kill vavles on each cylinder??
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If your timing belt cover is off and you can see the timing marks on the cam cover and the one on the bell housing, I'd suggest first you try to move the engine with a socket wrench on the crankshaft damper bolt and line up the marks. If they don't then you know you've had a jumped timing belt and It doesn't take much for the valves to hit the pistons. The oil issue has me a bit stumped. I'd almost suggest that you've got a blown head gasket and oil passages have been compromised.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Well if you got no compression then I would be looking at head, headgasket, or rings would be my first thoughts. Like mentioned I'd try to line up the timing marks if they all line up then I would pull the head and see whats going on in there.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:12 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seafeye
.......Did a compression test and all 4 were either zero or less than 30......
Did you mean compression leakdown test?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

I was just using a cheap china freight compression gauge. It's new but all 4 reading 0 or close to it seems odd. I didn't see any black smoke or white/blue coming out the back. I have a leak down gauge as well but i'm having difficulty finding the timing marks and rotating the crank. Seems stiff. (No oil or spark plugs in engine)
Just drained the oil and it all seemed like oil. No water or antifreeze in it. Drain plug didn't have any large particles but did have metallic sludge stuck to it.
Don't really have a ton of space in my garage right now but i was able to get it up on jack stands and see that i have a pretty big oil leak somewhere. Doubt it would be the rear main seal. The starter motor is relatively dry of oil.
Could be two different problems.
1) oil leak
2) Electrical.
3) Bearings?
The car will turn over but won't catch. When trying to turn over i didn't see any gushing oil or anything out of the ordinary.
Trying to upload a video. And some pics to follow. At least i still have a Vespa to cruise around with.
Attached Images      
Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Last of the iphone pics.
Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Here is the video of a start attempt. Battery worn out.

Well just try this....

Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sure sounds like zero compression to me. I would be checking your timing.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM
szabon
Racer

leak could be the head gasket or camshaft cover gasket. Or I guess the balance shaft seal....

Get back to us on the timing.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Just quickly. I took off the intake/fuel junk and found that oil made its way up to the throttle body. Not a lot. But definitely there. Enought that when I took off the intake it made some drips. Don't have time to check timing right now.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

either you bent valves in all four cylinders or a head gasket leak.

to have no compression on all 4, means none of the cylinders are holding pressure...or you did the test wrong.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Yeah the only thing i didn't do was open the throttle when doing the compression test. So i did it again. Minimal compression on all 4. Like 30.
So i tore into her. I know she isn't an old lady but needs attention. In the $$$ sense. But what 25 year old doesn't right?
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Oil in the intake/j-boot/throttle body is likely aos seals and not related to your compression problem. But it probably is related to the oil at the back of the engine. Easy fix.

Also highly unlikely that you would lose compression on ALL cylinders from a head gasket or any other engine issue except a jumped or broken timing belt. My guess is that is what happened and the valves are bent.

Inspect the belt thoughout for any missing teeth or signs of cracking at the base of the teeth. Any of the rollers feel bound-up? Water pump pulley moving? Belt tension ok?

Maybe it was tensioned correctly when it was changed but wasn't re-tensioned after being driven. Or the water pump seized up. I would examine a bit more before diving in and taking the head off.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard bent valves. This sounds the same.

Quick Reply: My 944 broke down