Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought some chips....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 02:29 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So I bought some chips....

I bought some used Autothority chips for my 951. It came with the two chips (duh) and a bolt. It did not come with instructions. I searched the forums here and Pelican Parts...but can't find what I do with the bolt. Can anyone tell me what to do with it?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2002, 02:39 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It replaces the stock banjo bolt which controls the waste gate. You will find it on the top/side of hard pipe going to the intercooler (right hand side of car) between the engine and airbox. Can't miss it if you stand in front of engine and look. If you start boosting above 2 bar you need to drill out the orifice in the replacement bolt.

How much did the used chips go for?
Old 01-09-2002, 03:03 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Thumbs up

Thanks. The chips were $250 shipped.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:39 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

WHOA! WTF?! There are already some Weltmeister chips in there. They are from 1993 according to the copyright date next to the text. Anyone have any idea why my car would be running so slow with these chips? I was schooled by my roommate's GTI VR6!
Old 01-09-2002, 06:32 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Angry

Okay...so I got the Autothority chips installed...and I'm having problems. I changed the banjo bolt to the one that came with the Autothority chips and went for a test drive. I'm now boosting half what I was boosting before I changed from Weltmeister to Autothority. As I drove more and more, I was starting to boost less and less. Look at the image below to see what I was boosting and what I'm doing now. Any ideas why?

Old 01-09-2002, 10:00 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Overboosting? Weltmeister used shims on the wastegate to up the boost if I'm not mistaken. That combined with the APE banjo bolt may have put the car into protection mode. Try putting back your stock banjo bolt and see if boost comes back. If that doesn't work, you may have something else going on with the car.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:30 AM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Kierf - You have a vacuum/boost leak somewhere. The point that you indicate as being the max boost on the Autothority set-up is the point it will rest if you have a vacuum leak. Check ALL of your lines and junction points.

Greg
Old 01-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Well...I put the other banjo bolt back in and went for a test drive. The boost gauge is now reading approximately 2mm past 1 bar. Its gotta be a vaccuum leak somewhere. I'm going go pull the head later this week to replace the stock gasket with a Wide Fire, I'm going to replace all the vaccuum lines and whatnot at the same time...I hope that fixes it...
Old 01-09-2002, 07:03 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Make sure that the two small washers are in place that go on both sides of the "banjo" part of the banjo bolt assembly. They are small and easy to lose and it won't seal with out them. And yes, you should not use the jetted APE banjo bolt if your wastegate is shimmed. They serve the same function. Use a Lindsay Boost Enhancer instead. Quicker on the boost(much) and won't cause the overboost in conjunction with a shimmed wastegate.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:37 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

No wonder you got schooled by a VR6.
With the autothority chips and banjo bolt, you should peg 2 bar on the gauge, or 1 bar boost.

I agree with everybody else...look for vacumn leaks.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:54 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try this test: clamp shut the wastegate-control line. You can do this after the CV at the rear of the intake-manifold where the line goes down to the wastegate. Use some vise-grips wrapped in a rag or something soft. Make sure the line is completely shut. Then take it for a drive and gently and gradually increase throttle. Do about 4 or 5 runs with higher and higher throttle settings and watch the boost gauge. Does it peg the meter at 2-bar eventually?
Old 01-10-2002, 02:01 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Thanks for everyone's help...I'm gonna work on the car this weekend. The '79 Prelude of Fury is gonna tote me around for the time being...
Old 01-10-2002, 03:36 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, what Adrial said... I've seen my Turbo S hit b/t the 1.8 and 2.0 marks several times in 3rd and 4th- at least for a few seconds, and my car is relatively slow for a 951... As for other things that COULD be affecting your boost- check the throttle position sensor. If it is the TPS, then most likely, it will be a hit or miss boost situation. In other words, when my TPS went bad, I would hit the throttle, and get almost 2.0 sometimes, and then others, I would only get 1.2 - 1.6. It seemed completely random. The only reason I bring it up is b/c you don't seem to have driven it this way for too long, so you could be just getting the low boost responses right now, and if you were to keep at it for a few days (flooring it every now and then) you might get the boost back up occasionally. At any rate, check what everyone else is saying first, and if those things don't work, then try the TPS...
Old 01-11-2002, 05:26 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Danno, I did what you said to do...and it didn't boost to 2 bar. The gauge read about 1.4 bar.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:43 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you fully clamp shut the line? Perhaps you can try removing it. Sounds like our wastegate died. That shouldn't have any relation to you swapping chips though. Coincidence that the wastegate failed at the same time?

Have you tried swapping back your old chips and banjo bolt?

Quick Reply: So I bought some chips....