Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 vs. 944S--Questions from Prospective Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 01:47 AM
BRB_85.5_NA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944 vs. 944S--Questions from Prospective Buyer

Folks--

So I'm new to this whole game and just learning the mechanics etc. of 944s, but I'm getting a lot out of the board here. I'm looking to buy a 944 primarily as a commuter car, so the extra initial and long term costs of a 951 in my game plan. I've keyed in on a couple 944S's, but after following these posts it seems they have some inherent mechanical problems. I was hoping for a little extra power (but any of these will feel like a crotch rocket after my Land Cruiser), but it looks like it might not be worth it (and you only really get it at high revs, right?).

So, what I'm asking for is some serious CHIMING IN on the differences, pros/cons of the 944 vs. 944S. Keep in mind I'm mechanically inclined (do all the work on my Land Cruiser) but have no experience with 944s (or fuel injection, sports car suspensions, etc. for that matter). If the 944 is the way to go, should I save myself a couple grand and just get a pre-1985.5 model with the funky dash but the same mechanics?

Thanks for the help-
Old 01-08-2002, 02:00 AM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

all i have to say is: get ready for some serious 944S bashing

in the end, honestly, it all depends on what is more important to you. fact is all 944's need to be maintained or they can go kerplunk.

the older pre 85.5 944's are really a steal in terms of $ and what you get for it, basically a 944 just like any other that might be a bit dated but is still a 944 at heart. be prepared to find them in worse condition and require more work over time but hey maybe thats what you are in to

the later 944's are also a great value, updated interior and bug-fixes, also great performance and handling for the $ and NA breed. its a 944 what else is there to say?

the 944S and S2 are a little punchier, the S2 is probably the best NA 944 you can buy (if you can afford a good one). the regular S has a few kinks but then again, they all do, and its a rare little gem regardless.

the turbo, well, its a turbo, if turbo is your flavor then definitely have your cake and eat it too, the good ones are going to be more expensive and the learning curve with driving/working on it will be a little steeper, but once again, great car if this is what you like.

so as you see there is something for everyone, what kind of 944 guy are you?
Old 01-08-2002, 02:50 AM
Rob Glass
Advanced

I have owned both the 944, and the 944s. Really performance did not vary much between them. Maintenance costs were also about the same over the 2 year period. My advice is to buy a car that someone else has dumped money into, like my example below. Otherwise, you will likely spend thousonds the first year. I am selling an 87 model 944 with a new power steering rack, autothority chip, koni shocks, KN cone filter system, new 17 inch turbo twist wheels with ZR rubber, new Kenwood Cd player and speakers, new brakes, original wheels included, and new plugs and red 8mm wires all for under 10k. I spent 4k the first year, and my car appeared perfect inside and out when I purchased it. I just wanted to make it better, and experienced a few common problems along the way.If anyone is interested in the car send e-mail to robg860@yahoo.com
Old 01-08-2002, 02:56 AM
BRB_85.5_NA
Racer

So you can put these performance chips in the NA 944s? What exactly to they change? (I've heard of these before, but usually I deal with ~30 yr. old technology, carbs, etc.)
Old 01-08-2002, 03:05 AM
Rob Glass
Advanced

You have to pull the computer to install the chip, which could cause damage if you are not careful.I had the dealer install mine. As far as results, some improvement. I noticed the car taching out a little quicker but that's about it. When you call the aftermarket stores they all say the same thing. "Not much you can do to the na car". The biggest improvement will be the supercharger kit that superchargers of Knoxville offers.I called the people there and they seemed pretty sharp. They advertise in Excellence magazine. You can spend thousonds in bolt-on parts and never get the results that are seat of the pants power like the supercharger. Also the 951 is a great choice. Two chips later and you have 50 more HP.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:21 AM
jim3
Instructor

The advice to get one that already has the work done to it is pretty solid combined with extensive maintenance receipts. Buy the best 944 you can afford. Don't buy on impulse, there are some great cars out there and they aren't priced much different from the mediocre or good cars. Find a shop that knows 944's and get them preinspected. You can cut down on pre insp costs by telling them that if they find low compression or bad leakdown stop etc. Sometimes they're the best source of knowing a great car is for sale.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:38 AM
Renntag
Pro

Great advise so far...cant emphasize enough how important it is to be patient and find a good 944. There are enough out there for sale.

Also, I have driven many 944s, in good working order they are ALL fun to drive. Find a well maintained unit.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

After choosing my words carefully, I have concluded that the 944S's benefits are to marginal to put up with the extra fuss. Why get an S when you can get a simpler to maintain, similarily performing 8v for less cash? Of course one must argue, that if you want more performance, you should be ready for more maintenance. That is why you get a turbo or S2 whose added complexity is easily overlooked when considering the big gains in performance (not to mention the better looks of their bumpers!) Sorry if this post sounds as if I'm drugged, I'm just listening to some awesome tunes I downloaded.

cheers to Dj Tiesto & fatboy slim
Old 01-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I made the famous to-too mistake. Forgive me Dan in Pasadena
Old 01-08-2002, 03:42 PM
BRB_85.5_NA
Racer

But honestly how much more maintenance is involved in having the 16v? You gotta adjust 2x as many valves (I already do 12)? Or are these hydraulic? I've heard some people talk about head problems, but if I'm not racing it a Porsche should hold together, right? Anybody have specifics on the kind of additional work/parts etc. I might expect (with $$ if possible).

I've now looked at 3 944s. An '84 which was in sorry shape and had a suspicious emissions history but was cheap as hell ($2400). An 85.5 that seemed to run fine, had some new parts but not complete records, and 148k miles. So far the best version I've seen is this 87 944S with the funny idle that seems like a minor problem. It has had the rack and pump replaced, new timing belt, water pump, and a ton of other stuff (the guy put about $2k into it when he got it 5k miles ago); 119k miles, $5k. I think it's the best one I can afford, and right now I want to narrow my search so I can start taking one of these to a mechanic for an inspection.

Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:45 PM
BRB_85.5_NA
Racer

Sorry--these are Overhead Cams so I have a lot of learning to do--
Old 01-08-2002, 03:58 PM
BRB_85.5_NA
Racer

Es decir, how typical is the following:

"No offense to S owners...I just can't stand the cars. I used to own one and am jaded forever. I won't let any of my friends even consider buying one as I know I'll be the person who has to fix it when it breaks. Now a good mechanic (like John probably is) could maintain one of these cars the way it needs to be. Nevertheless, it seems that at least once a month somebody is writing in with some serious head failure or other bs problem with their "S".

They don't idle well (often on 3 cylinders from my expeience and what others have reported (supposedly a programming issue that Porsche screwed up to pass emissions)), the heads are fragile (must be heat treated to turbocharge, lose tensioners if not replaced, chain stretches, etc, etc.), they rattle more than an 8-valve, etc.

IMHO the motor is a detriment in normal traffic. An 8 valve will probably beat the S in around town driving (stoplight to stoplight type driving). For example my 924S was as fast as my 944S up until 80 or so and was a lot easier to drive when not just accelerating.

You can find the S for about $3000-$4000 out here. From what I can tell nobody really wants them because of the problems associated with the motors and the high maintenance cost along with the similar looks to the 8 valve. Also, like I said above, the 8-valves are easier to drive around town and provide a more rewarding driving experience IMO. Additionally, the S didn't have any other performance or safety features that differntiated the turbo from the 8 valve NA. Definitely do some more research before you even consider buying one."

(by aka951 from Ross's post SC 944 vs. 951)

Does everybody agree? Again, can you be specific about problems etc.?
Thanks-
Old 01-08-2002, 04:26 PM
drew
Intermediate

I've purchased an S 1.5 years ago, put on 5000 miles with no problems. It has 120,000miles had the timing belts and tensioners done before I purchased it along with some seals.
I have no complaints, I like the added high RPM punchiness of the 16V and I think at speed it is more pleasant to drive than an 8V but that's my opinion.
Maintanance is an issue and I was aware of it prior to purchase, I like more unique models so for me the additional maintenance was OK. Plus I try to do what I can myself.
The only real difference is the chain tensioner in the head, have it checked it is expensive to replace and if it goes you're looking at a pocket full of bent valves and maybe a cracked head. Maybe some one else can contibute other maintenance differences.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:49 PM
aka 951
Pro

just look at the price of a rebuilt head - try at least $2000. That should tell you that there is a problem (they're hard to find uncracked). You can run the risk - that's fine with me. Just don't come crying when it happens to you and you suddenly feel the urge to put an 8-valve motor in.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:54 PM
BRB_85.5_NA
Racer

...there's no crying in Porsches! Or is this not true?

Thanks--that's the kind of info I need. But what about the design of engine leads to the the head problems????? Is it really going to blow as a commuter car with an occasional urge to drive hard on Hwy 1 or pass a 'stang or 'vette?

TIA again

Quick Reply: 944 vs. 944S--Questions from Prospective Buyer