Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More KYB/basic suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 05:32 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post More KYB/basic suspension questions

Soon...very soon I will be tearing apart my 951 to fix a load of problems/worn out parts (pretty much every rubber piece in the suspension, oilpan gasket, motor mounts, accessory belts, turbo water pump, cap/rotor/wires/plugs, shocks/struts, front rotors/all pads, and a couple other things I don't currently recall, not to mention I am installing an air/fuel meter, boost gauge, pillar pod, maybe the SFR MBC, a couple of worn interior parts, and was thinking of making my own carpeting to replace the tired original carpeting), and I was going to replace the worn to hell (my car does a wheelie every time I accelerate and handles like an old cadillac) shocks and struts. I still have to order the shocks, brake parts and suspension bushings, but I have everything else already. A few questions...

I was planning on replacing my dampeners with KYB stuff since they are very cheap and I don't want to do expensive performance shocks until I can afford to do springs/t-bars/sways/etc. anyways. I know that they aren't really stiff, but definitely should bring the handling back to stock levels since the original boges on there are, as I said before, worn to all hell. Now, here:KYB 944 turbo stuff they offer the kyb rear shocks and front strut cartridges for a grand total of $132 + shipping...but...I didn't think the front cartridges were replaceable...I thought with the sealed struts that you have to replace the entire strut assembly...am I wrong, or is tire rack wrong? Who is smoking crack here? Will this work? I would love to get away with spending $132ish and getting new dampeners at all 4 corners. Let me know. Thanks...
Old 01-07-2002, 05:39 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

I am waiting for my koni yellows and welt 250#s any day now. My car has the exact same handling/pop a wheelie thing. I treally pisses me of. Plus, when you let off the throttle you get jolted forward cause of the compression up front from the loss of forward velocity. I have described my car as a caddy a ton of times too .

As far as the struts go, all turbos have sealed front struts for which the only solution is a whole strut replacement. There are no cartriges. Koni yellows go for 150 a piece now though and they have developed a way to fit their cartrige into the stock assembly (see Skips tech session at paragon). Good luck.

ps. 132 sounds like the price of one shock
Old 01-07-2002, 05:57 PM
Renntag
Pro

Ribs....if you are looking for the 'short dollar' way out...have you considered low mileage used stuff? Just a thought. My dampers have been replaced allready, I'm set for now. I am waiting to do the whole performance deal....but it will cost 4,ooo$ to do the entire suspension for the track.......so, I wait. I followed the instructions, I water it and feed it...but this freaking ACME money tree wont grow...maybe the soil here is too alkeline?

LOL....

c y'all wed. rain or shine.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:08 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ribs, I can't speak for the front ones but the rear ones are probably about as good as stock. YMMV. If you go with the fronts, let me know how it works out, I may join you.

My rear KYBs were about 24 apiece, if I remember correctly.

Thaddeus
Old 01-07-2002, 06:15 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Well...as I wait on hold for the moron at tirerack to ask someone in the know whether or not the front strut cartidges are any way adaptable to my car (I am pretty sure they aren't, but I am waiting to hear it from them and maybe have them remove it from their site as it is misleading)...aww...damn it...that ******* hung up on me. Well...anyways, since that link I posted doesn't seem to want to work, here is a picture of that page on their site:

renntag...Do you have any idea where to find low milage front struts? I had one guy lined up to buy some rear KYB's with a few thousand miles on, but I found out I could get them for the same price new...he had the original boge struts off his car, but with 60K miles, and I doubt they would be much better than mine are now.

Well...I just got off the phone with the 3rd moron from tire rack, and he said they would refund my money for the fronts if I couldn't figure out a way to fit them in there...does anybody know for sure that the cartidges aren't replaceable (I know I probably sound just stupid at this point)? Has anybody ever taken the strut assembly apart? Would I be wasting money on shipping buying these front cartridges for my cartridges that are advertised as usable for my car if I most definitely had to send them back? Skip, where are you?
Old 01-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Speaking of used equipment. The koni's and weltmeisters I'm waiting for are used. I bought them of a fellow rennlister : David Salama for 300 bucks plus 50 bucks shipping (he added another 20 to send them via air!) The shocks have ~20,000 miles on them and come with receipts proving their mileage. All I have to do now is wait......
Old 01-07-2002, 06:46 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ribs - the KYB cartridges WILL NOT WORK.

Now, call Garrity about used Konis or Bilstiens. You will thank yourself later.

Love ya, man! (BTW, where are YOU getting your gaugepod from?)
Old 01-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Renntag
Pro

Ribs: I know a few shops that do performance work that I would try...NY and Connecticut. I can call them if you want. The rears are cheap enough...why bother. The fronts are the big expense.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:55 PM
aka 951
Pro

please don't put KYBs on your 951...save and get some real shocks not originally intended to go on a Chrysler K-car
Old 01-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Renntag
Pro

LOL
Good Advice....
Old 01-07-2002, 07:17 PM
Andrew
Instructor

HEY, I own a K-car!

-Andrew
87 Crysler LeBaron
(aka...da SilverBullet!)
Old 01-07-2002, 07:28 PM
Renntag
Pro

I'm sorry...
Old 01-07-2002, 07:38 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I have the KYB's on the rear of mine. They are just as good as OEM. I have about 3000 miles on them, and am ordering Koni's to match the front. Ribs, if you want them, they are yours. E-mail me and we can discuss the details.

As for the fronts, they do not fit. I tried, even with a set of '86 struts. The body is too long, and you cannot get a nut on it securly.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by ribs:
Well...I just got off the phone with the 3rd moron from tire rack, and he said they would refund my money for the fronts if I couldn't figure out a way to fit them in there...
I'm speechless

Skip, where are you?
Your struts are sealed; you must replace with a sealed strut, or the new Koni 8741-1414S.

Skip (snipped and slow today )
Old 01-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Renntag
Pro

Talking

LOL, Skip....'speechless', brilliant. I was rolling on the floor....

I many times have to remain silent after I hear some comments at work that I just dont know how to respond to without offending anyone....

Ribs: I feel your pain man. I have been on the phone with Tire rack and the only thing they could tell me for sure was that my car had four tires and that they probably had four that would fit...somehow.

Quick Reply: More KYB/basic suspension questions