Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More KYB/basic suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 10:24 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ribs...I just did my sway bar bushings..

It may seem obvious to you, but it wasn't to me until I did the brakes. It is MUCH easier to get to all the bolts for the sway bar mounts from the wheel wells than from under the car, in my opinion anyway.

I was told to dunk the bushings in brake fluid prior to installation...was told it would keep em from drying up. Hope it works. After you tighten everything up, the drop link bushings will appear to be all out of wack, but fall into place once you take it for a drive. I got my suspension bushings from paragon...listed under front sway bar bushings and miscellaneous bushings...under suspension.

While you're doing all that stuff you might as well do the brake/clutch fluid too. Unless that was done recently..I used a pressure bleeder and all was well. Check the fluid in the resevoir...if its a light color get ate super blue...if its a dark color get ate gold...same chemically just different color. 1L is enough, 2L for good luck. Clutch bleeder is 7mm, brake bleeders are 11m. Use 1/4" ID tubing for both.

For the plugs...make sure you have a flex joint for a whatever size ratchet you plan on using. I know I hate running back to Sears to pick up the tools I need.

Good luck...let us know how it all goes. I'm especially interested in the motor mounts...because I'm planning on doing that sometime this winter.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Ribs, I've got a set used Boge sealed struts I can loan you. But I'll need yours for spares to put in my trailer for the OTC.

Now, you CAN use strut-inserts on your car IF you swap in a set of '79-85.5 944NA strut housings. Here's what I did:
  • got set of '84 944NA strut housings ($55 used)
  • got set of KYB strut-inserts ($90/pair)
  • 2.5" GC coilover kit w/200lb/in springs ($200 from Paragon)
I cut off the spring perches, made a 1.5mm shim for the coilover collar, and epoxied it on. To fit the '84 944NA rebuildable strut housing, you have to enlongate the upper spindle-clamp hole by about 5mm (the spacing is wider on the 951). Then add a 2mm shim (the spindle area where it clamps is narrower on the 951). I made my shim from some right-angle reinforcements for 2x4s found at Home Depot. That's it! For $150 in parts, I got pair of new struts. And they DEFINITELY worked better than the stock ones. And I've been able to swap in different springs (200lb-250 300-350lbs), and different strut inserts (Bilstein, Koni yellow/red), WITHOUT changing the alignment! I just lower suspension and pull out strut, leave the strut attached to the spindle, drop in a new insert and springs, reassemble and that's it! A simple 15-minute procedure in the pits between run sessions at the track.
I'm finishing up on documenting this procedure with photos on my website, but I think you get the idea. Anything and everything's possible!

P.S. Erick, I think you're thinking of Monroe/Gabriel shocks. Now THOSE would be a crime!
Old 01-08-2002, 03:22 AM
Andrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danno,

I've been meaning to ask you more about that. where did you get the bilsteins again? I liked the ride quality in your car. maybe you can test mine out to see what you think next time your in Toga.

-Andrew
Old 01-08-2002, 03:35 AM
Al Cody
Instructor

Unhappy

Boy, sure wish this thread had come up a week ago. I have a set of KYB on the wife's 87 Volvo. They were fairly easy to install and work great. So, I bought a set of KYB's from Zims a few months ago which I just put in. The rear shocks went my '87 924S no sweat. The struts seemed to go in okay, except nothing to center them in the cap. I turned the original top oil seal upside down in the cap to center it and the strut rod. It seemed to react normally when I put it together, but on the road they were very stiff as if something were binding. Tonight I pulled the wheel off to find the oilseal had pulled up thru the cap and was jamming the strut rod. Bummer! The seal trick didn't work. Something is needed to keep the insert centered. The original bushing should work, but the housing is not long enough to fit the bushing and insert. Not a happy camper at this point. The www.KYB.com site lists the #363014 as the correct strut for the 924, 924S, and 944 to 95.5 with rebuildable struts. Danno sounds like you've been there. Are the 924S rebuildable struts a different length than the 944 rebuildable ones? Is there a way to keep the strut centered in the housing? Am I missing something here? Any suggestions would be appreciated. My ride is on jack stands waiting for rescue!
Old 01-08-2002, 03:39 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Andrew!

We definitely have to get another Pizza Run together. Maybe even a PARTY at someone's house afterwards.

Check these places out for Bilsteins:
  • http://www.shox.com
  • http://www.eshocks.com
  • http://www.alleuro.com
  • http://www.howbarmotorsports.com/autos/offline/porsche.html
  • http://www.wholesalehyperformance.com
  • http://www.performanceplusauto.com/braksusp.html

Don't know where I saw it, but I actually found a website that listed the damping values of the various shocks...hmmm...
Old 01-08-2002, 04:41 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

All right...just so you all don't think I'm a crack head...I am a drunk...for the last game of the season...yes...I did go to the monday night football game...and I did get hella drunk before/during/after the game, but that just goes along with football. I haven't read a single post yet because I can't focus with both eyes and I am trying to get with my little sister's friend (20...totally legal BTW)..but I will do my best and try to read the posts and respond tomorrow...good night...sorry for the lame post...you will hear more tomorrow..
Old 01-08-2002, 11:58 AM
Al Cody
Instructor

I'm getting that "you dummy" feeling. The KYB came with a large washer. I didn't know, nor do the instructions say, where it goes. I had an "ah-ha" last night, the big washer goes on top to hold the strut centered. Guess I got a bit to creative with the oil seal trick. I haven't tried it yet, but I am suspecious that the insert assemly will be too long to get the top nut on securely. I'll have it apart in an hour or so. I'll post the result.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Renntag
Pro

Talking

Totally OT: Ribs, you are a nut. It will be interesting to see what happens Wed night.

Al: Hope it works out. I hate it when there are unknown random parts.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:41 PM
Al Cody
Instructor

Yea, random parts! On the Volvo the big washer went at the bottom as a perch for the cartridge. clearly didn't work for the Porsche strut housing. So I figured it was just a generic part.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:46 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danno - that's great - that's what we did when I was at Istook's for the race cars - I'm confused though, what did you EPOXY? I usually just trim the lower spring perch to leave enough to rest the collar on - am I misunderstanding something?
Old 01-08-2002, 02:23 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Al: Yes, put the *washer* on top of the strut (Koni does the same thing on some inserts... you really have to pay attention to see if it is needed... on mine, it was not... but on another earlier car it was).

Danno: I too am interested in the EPOXY situation?

Skip
Old 01-08-2002, 04:43 PM
Al Cody
Instructor

Talking

Okay, the KYB struts definitely work on the rebuildable struts. And that "dummy" feeling I got in the middle of the night was right on. I hate that feeling! The big washer I left out was the solution to my problem. The car is on its feet and works the way it is supposed to. The KYB shock and strut replacement has brought my car back to feeling like a sports car. Thanks guys for all the help.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:15 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Here's a question from a pencil neck geek.

If the KYB's fit into the rebuildable strut, and the new Koni's fit into the non-rebuildable strut after the top is sawed off; then, will the KYB's fit into the non-rebuildable strut if the top is cut off.

If so, what other modifications need to be made to the strut?

Or, putting it another way, what is the difference between the Koni insert, and the KYB insert? Has anyone put the two next to each other and compared? I'm talking fitment, not damping etc.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:04 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The new Koni fitment is specially designed to only fit the sealed struts. The top and bottom securing apparatus will not exist on any other strut cartridge unless specifically designed for that purpose. The Koni is held in place at the bottom by a bolt that goes through a hole drilled into the casing and into a nub on the body of the strut.

Here's a link to the Koni bolt-in procedure

If wanting to use a generic replaceable strut cartridge on a sealed strut car, then Danno's advice of swapping out for an early strut would apply. The can be adapted to any car with a bit of work.

Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2002, 07:46 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the responses guys! So...if I read correctly, my only option for the KYB fronts is to find a rebuildable strut off of an older 944 ('83-'85) and do it that way. Other options for me now are to find some used front struts...maybe konis or bilsteins...what do you think? Does anybody know where I may find used struts? I looked over the classifieds here and didn't find anything. Next stop is e-bay. If anybody has some nice used fronts (and/or rears), let me know. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: More KYB/basic suspension questions