Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad day yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd guess that the fuel lines started to leak? maybe the jumper on the fuel rail?

Anyhow, if you part out, i would be interested in your euro bumpers.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 PM
cali4sun
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Early Caymans are prone to oil starvation issues on track. Just to let you know before you head down that road. Fun car if you dont blow them up.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:12 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
I'd guess that the fuel lines started to leak? maybe the jumper on the fuel rail?

Anyhow, if you part out, i would be interested in your euro bumpers.
I doubt it was the fuel lines - I had stainless braided fuel lines and a Lindsey billet fuel rail, which completely deletes the jumper line. The fuel lines all seem intact, and the insulation near the hardline fittings isn't burned as badly as the insulation on the passenger side, so I think it was something other than gas that burned.

I'm hoping to sell the car whole, but I have some extra parts (including a 924 euro rear bumper and extra rubber trim for the euro rear bumper) that I will put up for sale (I'm working on a separate thread).

Mike

If you don't have wheels for this year's winery run, I'll come pick you up !

Joe
Thanks Joe, I appreciate it!

Mike, Sorry to hear. Glad your ok. Never got to meet you at the track yet. I have not even been able to start racing my 924 yet. Between work and family every weekend comes and goes. Let us know what you find out. Maybe it's not as bad as u think.
Thanks David - it takes a while to get to the first event (it took me about 4 years after I first bought my 924S), but once you get started, I've found driving a Porsche on the track to be addictive. I know I'll have a replacement eventually, and I'll be back at track events as soon as I can.

Early Caymans are prone to oil starvation issues on track. Just to let you know before you head down that road. Fun car if you dont blow them up.
Thanks. I've started reading a bit about it, and it sounds like the problem mainly affects Caymans with R compound tires and suspension mods, but there are mods out there to improve oiling on the first-gen motors. I would probably plan to do the suspension and oiling mods together once I got the hang of the more powerful platform. Although, prices on Gen2 Caymans (with the dry sump) seem to be coming down...I may get lucky and find one of those, which wouldn't need any oil system modifications.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:16 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cali4sun
Sorry to hear that.
Sorry to hear it and best of luck finding a replacement
That is sad Mike. Glad you are OK and your instructor is too. Can't imagine how you feel when you loose something you put so much into
Thanks guys! I appreciate the well wishes from everyone here - it definitely helps take some of the edge off of the loss (I had my car for 7 years, can't believe how time flies)
Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry to hear of your bad situation.

I'm selling a track/race ready Firehawk 968 if you're interested. It's listed in several sections within RL.

Quick Reply: Sad day yesterday...