Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Short Shifter for the 944

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought a sort shifter/shifter and cupholder. Hope the sort shifter is better than the Schnell POC I bought.

only944 has some great stuff for our cars.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I strongly prefer a short shift linkage to be used in conjunction with a slightly TALLER shift lever than stock. This way you get the very short throw between gears but don't have to arm wrestle to put them in.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:02 PM
CoreySmith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrenD
only944 has some great stuff for our cars.
Thanks for the tip. They do have nice stuff. I wish they had Burgundy interior parts though. That shifter with thrust bearings on the shift shaft pin is really nice. I wish I had seen that when I did mine last year. I bet I fall in the middle option with a new shifter but worn shaft....
Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,311 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Originally Posted by drift a 944
I strongly prefer a short shift linkage to be used in conjunction with a slightly TALLER shift lever than stock. This way you get the very short throw between gears but don't have to arm wrestle to put them in.
I put a short shifter in my Audi years ago "just because" and didn't like it for the reason you stated. It made it more difficult to shift because it reduced feedback through the shifter and made if harder to tell where you were shifting.

I'm looking to get short shift linkage with a taller shift lever as well. Just never understood the rationale for having a short shifter after trying it out myself.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM
CoreySmith
Advanced

Originally Posted by robstah
Finally some aftermarket parts at reasonable prices.
But they don't sell front sway bar braces
Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Mantis does.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CoreySmith
Thanks for the tip. They do have nice stuff. I wish they had Burgundy interior parts though. That shifter with thrust bearings on the shift shaft pin is really nice. I wish I had seen that when I did mine last year. I bet I fall in the middle option with a new shifter but worn shaft....
If your handy with a grinder you can replicate that with your existing shifter. Grind out the pin, get an m10x50mm bolt and nut. Order a few of those thrust bearings and your in business.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8679 you need 2 of these. Use a little axle grease to lube them. They come with the washers you need.

enjoy.

The only944 shifter is quite nice if your's is in bad shape, or if you don't feel like grinding and dealing with the current shifter. At $50 its a good price.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:48 PM
CoreySmith
Advanced

Originally Posted by Arominus
If your handy with a grinder you can replicate that with your existing shifter. Grind out the pin, get an m10x50mm bolt and nut. Order a few of those thrust bearings and your in business.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8679 you need 2 of these. Use a little axle grease to lube them. They come with the washers you need.

enjoy.

The only944 shifter is quite nice if your's is in bad shape, or if you don't feel like grinding and dealing with the current shifter. At $50 its a good price.
Actually I just replaced my shifter a year or two ago. I got an OEM/Equivalent from Pelican. It helped very much. My old one was horribly worn.. So I am not going to tear it up now. I just wish I could have gotten that nice only944 one. It looks like a very nice improvement in design.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually I just replaced my shifter a year or two ago. I got an OEM/Equivalent from Pelican. It helped very much. My old one was horribly worn.. So I am not going to tear it up now. I just wish I could have gotten that nice only944 one. It looks like a very nice improvement in design.
I had done that as well, and wore out my new shifter in 8 months the collar was worn as well. This style fixes that issue.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:34 PM
snb13
Pro

But they don't sell front sway bar braces
Rennbay has them for $20 and sell's them through Amazon. If you have Prime you get free 2 day shipping. I just got mine last week.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM
snb13
Pro

And I just got only944's shifter in the mail yesterday. Top notch. Looking forward to installing it. I may get his short shifter down the road.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:25 PM
CoreySmith
Advanced

Originally Posted by snb13
Rennbay has them for $20 and sell's them through Amazon. If you have Prime you get free 2 day shipping. I just got mine last week.
I got mine from Rennbay and they make a HUGE difference. But I did not know they were available through Amazon, could have saved the shipping. But Travis got them out really fast through FedEx. So I paid $7 for a few days. I used those to clean, prime with self pitting primer and then a couple coats of automotive enamel. $7 for a nice finish nobody will see, but I know is there. In that light, I'll take the deal. Especially since Travis has them for half the price everybody else does. I am just sorry I missed the $10 sale price a year or so ago.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Just found this one, anyone installed it and could say something about it?

Its tempting...
Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peedster
Just found this one, anyone installed it and could say something about it?

Its tempting...
It's amazing.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Really awesome, installed mine like a week or two ago.

Shifting feels much more solid and nice. It actually helped my car get into reverse easier and makes my worn 1st-2nd syncro easier to work with.

Just an FYI, if you have an early car the install is a PITA compared to a late car. You will have to support your transmission and remove one trans mount to get to the linkage. My stock linkage was so stuck on there it took hours of cursing and wrestling and prying and bleeding knuckles to get it off, BUT it is still so worth it! If you have a late car and the old one ain't so stuck on there it can be a half hour install but if worst case like mine it can take hours haha. And it's kind of a pain to get to being on the top of the transmission and all.

Overall TOTALLY worth the 80 bucks and labor to install.

Quick Reply: New Short Shifter for the 944