Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital Camera ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 10:33 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While it's at least a generation old in terms of pixel count (2.1 m), I like my Sony Mavica FD-97. Kinda big & clunky, but easy to grip (I don't like handling a small camera). 20X zoom with stabilization, eye-level finder (open panel LCD's wash out in bright sunlight, in my experience). Records to either floppy or memory stick. Shoots stills or short movies. Good macro ability, multiple exposure modes, etc.

But to each his own...

Jim, "Stand back, Honey! I dunno how big this thing's gonna get!"
Old 03-01-2002, 03:56 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll weigh in with the silly stuff you might not have thought about when looking for an all-round digital camera (experience includes 3 digicams and over 5k shots to date... mostly of racing, outdoors, kids, and car stuff):

- ruggedized body - no fancy finishes to get marred up, something easy to wipe grease off of.
- protected lcd - either inset or glass housed (both is better)
- no external moving parts - the reason I'm on my third digicam... nuff said. Find the zoom quality you want in a permanently housed shell... not one that retracts.
- no integrated/mechanical lense caps - they fail too often to be worth the advantage
- at least 3x optical zoom - digital zoom is mostly useless/unnecessary.
- Sony charges more for their name than the increase (if any) in quality. They're good cameras, but so are many others. Sony's proprietary media is pretty egotistical, and usually more $$ also.
- small as possible, but don't sacrifice wants/needs for size - the larger the camera, the less you'll use it. Machismo points for bulk should be left to rear wheel widths.
- don't be sucked in by "functions" - cameras take pictures, anything else is candy (tastes good but rots your teeth) Being able to modify, crop, notate, or otherwise alter images while in the camera is completely useless. Take the extra money and buy the latest "best buy" in photo software (currently Adobe Photoshop Elements).
- make sure you can operate the camera with one hand.

I've probably got pages of digicam and phototaking advice that seems too simple to write down, but in most cases it never occured to me until it happened.

Good Luck!

Skip (Kodak DC-290 *sucks*)
Old 03-01-2002, 04:29 PM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skip: The only "rugged" camera I have come across (so far) is the Kodak DC500, which is Kodak says is: (1) weatherproof and can be "used in the rain"(2)2megpx (3)$300 (4) a view finder camera. Do you have a camera in mind which meets your requirements ?? --Roy--
Old 03-01-2002, 04:37 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Roy,

I've noticed that nobody asked what you want to use the camera for. If you are just looking to post on the web than a 2 0r 3 MP camera will probably suffice. I have a Kodak DC-280 (2.1MP) and just picked up an Olympus E-20N (5.24MP). I recently went to Vegas and by the time I got done working with the pictures from the Kodak I wasn't happy with the resolution. For a mid-price 3.1MP Kodak that is a really nice camera look for the DC-4800. There are a few on eBay, or go to <a href="http://www.kodak.com" target="_blank">www.kodak.com</a> and burrow down into the camera section then refurbished. You can get one there for $400. Some website just had them for $389. It may seem a little steep, but it gets you right in the today's sweet spot for resolution, picture quality, and ease of use. The other thing to consider is getting a good printer that has photo settings. I have a HP Photosmart (2400x1200 dpi)that I am really happy with, but Canon makes some nice 6 tank models so you just replace the colors that run dry rather than a 3 color cartridge. Most cameras will come with some version of Adobe Photshop LE or Photo Deluxe. Roxio's (nee MGI) Photosuite 4 is also pretty easy to use. Good luck and good shopping.

Quick Reply: Digital Camera ??