Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help 91 S2

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhr
I guess I am going to start pulling things apart and once I am inside will build a list of what I need. How will I be able to tell if the rod bearings are ok?
Visual inspection for ill effects of (seemingly) no oil pressure. Plastigauge for wear indication if you want, but if you're going to remove them, it may be worth putting new ones back in. They're fairly inexpensive.

Order new rod nuts whether you get new bearings or not -- they're single-use items. Eight in total.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 PM
dianeandpablo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPRV alignment tool

Got mine form Baum tools for US$39.95. Good quality piece.
www.baumtools.com/
Or you can use the OPRV itself to align the cooler housing.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

You CANNOT use the OPRV to align the cooler housing. It's not near stiff enough and won't prevent potential valve binding which is why the tool exists. Please trust me on this.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
dianeandpablo
Racer

Well, I've done it with success the last few times that I've done the job. Just to check my work I removed the OPRV and inserted the tool...perfect. You'll know if it binds right away. I would advocate the tool however for the first time though.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

I am borrowing one locally and will verify the alignment. Kinda feel like the tool exists for a reason. Let you all know the results fingers crossed alignment is the problem otherwise need to plan for a couple of days spent under the car.

Mark
Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 AM
princej
Advanced

Originally Posted by mhr
I often ship to Champlain NY same idea but it become a pita driving to go get them 2 hrs when all is said and done and only during regular hours so. My preference is generally pelican but I haven't seen the alignment tool anywhere but paragon and 944online.

I guess I am going to start pulling things apart and once I am inside will build a list of what I need. How will I be able to tell if the rod bearings are ok?
thats the gamble with ordering tools , parts or anything from the U.S. a $25 item can cost $70 or so, I also tried to ship to Champlain ny or VT, gas , traffic and the boarder crossing. wasnt much of a money saver, not too mention the time.

I have been looking for a flywheel lock to buy in Montreal, if anyone has one.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

So things are not going well

I tried another OPRV that is known to be good and that did not change anything. The oil filter was still bone dry after idling the car for a minute or so. There is absolutely no resistance when putting the OPRV in so looked like it was time to pull the pan.

Pulled the pan today AND EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE. Crap I was hoping to find a bad pickup and end this saga.

The pickup holds water and looks good. The pan had some scummy sludgy oil in the bottom of it but it wasn't terrible. The return looks good as well and although I have not fished around too much I have not seen any debris in the pan.

So:
Not the OPRV
Not the pickup
Not the filter since I have tried 3 at this point

Where do I go from here?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil pump? The oil pump on these cars are pretty much bullet proof, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

I am thinking that is possibly all that is left to look at. Was hoping someone would have other ideas before I tear into the pump.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

You never properly addressed the OPRV alignment and you're going to a lot of trouble chasing other things.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

I did order the tool should have it this week although I am not hopeful i hope you are right.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

so I finally got some time in the last couple of weeks and am sorry to say I don't think I have anything resolved.

I got the OPRV alignment tool and upon insertion it didn't seem to go in well so I went to loosen the bolts of the oil filter/cooler housing to align it. Found that one of the top bolts was very loose so I got excited thinking that it now made sense the housing had gotten out of alignment because of the loose bolt. Loosened all of the bolts and inserted the alignment tool. Then tightened them down and got it out. The OPRV went in like butter after that.

Since the oil pan was off I changed the rod bearings the seal on the pickup, return and level sender and re installed the pan with a new gasket.

I decided before I put on the crossmember and put everything else together I was going to fill it up with oil, put on a new filter and crank it. I also filled oil into the hole in the filter mount before I installed the filter. SO I removed the DME relay and spark plugs and cranked it. I was hoping I would see some movement on the oil pressure gauge...Nothing. I cranked it for quite a while stopping every 15 or so seconds so as to prevent overheating the starter. Nothing, the oil filter is still dry. Removed the OPRV and cranked again for about 15 seconds. No oil came out the hole.

I am pretty sure some oil should have reached the filter or come out the OPRV hole. So I am guessing the only things left are either a bad oil pump or the oil drive gear. Am I missing something here?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Default UPDATE

So months have gone by and the car is finally back together. In the end I think it was the oil pump since when I took apart mine it looked ground out inside. As I took the car apart to get to the oil pump I discovered that the water pump was leaking so I changed that etc here is the final list of what I have done:

Rod bearings
Oil pan gasket / Pickup and return seals
Oil cooler/filter console removed cleaned new seals (installed with alignment tool)
New used nice condition OPRV
New used nice condition Oil pump
New oil pressure sender
New oil pump drive
New water pump, thermostat
New belts (all rollers and idlers are only 2 yrs old so did not change them)
New main and balance shaft seals and o rings
Every other seal and gasket that I came across
New rear fuel lines
New tie rod ends
New motor mounts
New fitting for power steering reservoir to pump hose
New plugs, wires

NOW the car had good oil pressure. Stays cool but wont come back to idle. I get to a stop light and it stalls when I put in the clutch. Also the engine seems to be running a bit rough. Especially considering I put in new motor mounts.

I have done some checking looking for disconnected vacuum hoses and cleaned and reconnected the ICV and AFM connections but still have the problem. Will have to spend some time today poking around. Hope I can get this solved quickly. Summer is almost gone

Mark
Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

glad you're back on the road...albeit a bit of work left.

I am probably not much help as I have left most of the wrenching to my mechanic...but I have a few thoughts:

Not sure if our cars have one...but I have had other fuel injected cars with bad idle stabilizers. Guess first find out if you have one and then if it's working

Rough running....could this also be related to the idle? Wondering if it's one tooth off on one of the gears or something?

I should probably stick to small block chevy's...much more time taking those apart!

My mechanic is ROCS....Rich is a sponsor here and used to own a 91 S2 which now belongs to his business partner...victor.

Maybe PM him ?

He might save you some time !
Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 AM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read the post, sorry to hear about the saga. Glad you sorted out the oil pressure problem. At least your car is more valuable with all the new parts and maintenance. As for the rough running and poor idle I'd recheck your cam timing and the BS alignments. Next consider ISV. Good luck

Quick Reply: Help 91 S2