Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not too Happy Right Now...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Not too Happy Right Now...

I sent my DME to ECU Doctors to be tested/repaired and they claim to have found cracked solder joints. I was expecting them to do their testing for $50 then say, "it's FUBR'd, want us to repair if for xxx amount of money?" but instead they went ahead and repaired it without asking for my permission Their website says repairs cost anywhere from $350-900 I can't afford to spend that much money right now and if I tell them I don't want to pay then I'm ****ed. They really have me by the ***** because if I don't pay, then they're going to keep my DME. If I do pay the ransom fee then I can't afford to have my cylinder head finished so that guy will hold it hostage too

What should I do? Tell them to do $350-900 worth of damage to my DME and send it back? Ask them to send me money for a used DME and they can just keep mine? I've tried calling them twice and they didn't pick up...

If your DME/KLR is damaged then I strongly advise you not to send it to these bastards...
Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno, call them and talk to them? if your DME was jacked then even getting it back won't really help you as it wouldn't have worked? Find out what it will actually cost you and go from there.

Did you explicitly tell them you only wanted an estimate? or did you just assume they would only do that? Because i'm guessing most people send it in to be fixed, not just for an estimate. Don't assume nefarious intent... It gets you nowhere. I'd also suggest being nice on the phone, it will get you a lot further than being super pissed off.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, but what did you expect? Did you explicitly request a "test only" service or "please give me an estimate before completing any repairs"?

I just swapped my ECU with them and have to say their service was excellent; but, in my case:

1) I knew my ECU was bad.
2) I knew it was going to cost me $275 + core before I ordered it.

Once I got the reman ECU from them and confirmed it worked, I sent my original one back and they promptly returned my core charge.

What would you have done if they said it was FUBR'd for $50? bought another FUBR'd ECU off fleabay for $200? then you'd have two bad ECU's.

They offer a unique specialized service and warranty their product. With any other option, you really are taking a gamble. To me, that's well worth what they charge.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait wait wait....wait

So, the DME was bad?

Who knew...
Old 03-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

I assumed it was implied. I contacted them saying that I ONLY wanted it tested, but I didn't tell them not to fix it. I plan to sound nice on the phone and ask them politely about fixing it without my permission if they ever pick up their damn phone...

My DME worked for the most part when I removed it from the car. I inspected it under a somewhat powerful magnifying glass for cracked solder joints before I decided to send it out and didn't see any.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can send you a dme as well. I have no idea if it works, you can hook it up and if it does work we can work something out...I'm not really worried about it, it's just parts I have that I won't be using that could be used be someone else. Is there any way I can test mine without shipping it somewhere or hooking it up to the car?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM
sweet928
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought mine on EBay with a 60 day warranty for 150 shipped. Works great.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

They called back and informed me there was a little more than cracked solder joints (they had to replace something) so I said what the hell and just paid the $350. They were very polite on the phone and when I asked about the repairs without my permission they told me the exact same thing you guys said: I didn't say not to fix it...
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chunkerz
They called back and informed me there was a little more than cracked solder joints (they had to replace something) so I said what the hell and just paid the $350. They were very polite on the phone and when I asked about the repairs without my permission they told me the exact same thing you guys said: I didn't say not to fix it...
Yeah you sent it to a repair place..... So they repaired it, go figure. 350 for something that has a warranty and will work for another possible 7-10 years isnt a bad deal.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I got my old DME fixed by an old school TV repair man. He fixed all the cracks sugar joints. He was a family friend so he wouldn't charge me.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Fintro11
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$350 is not very much.... just a few fill up's at the pump
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 PM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

do they have a website?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fintro11
$350 is not very much.... just a few fill up's at the pump
It is when you're a college kid with a crappy part time job.
Originally Posted by veleno
do they have a website?
www.ecudoctors.com
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel bad for Chunkerz, his car looks like a basket case. It's going to be completely rebuilt when he's done. We should hold a raffle or give-away or something and raise him a few bucks or something... and I'm not more than a poor college kid (x a few years) myself.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben951S
I feel bad for Chunkerz, his car looks like a basket case. It's going to be completely rebuilt when he's done. We should hold a raffle or give-away or something and raise him a few bucks or something... and I'm not more than a poor college kid (x a few years) myself.
Thanks for the kind words I wouldn't say my car is a full on basket case, but maybe I'm just in denial... A raffle would be nice, but there are plenty out there just like me (like Butters ) so I don't think I deserve any special treatment.

I can't post stuff for sale since I'm not a forum member (maybe some day...), but I do have a few things looking for new homes. If anyone wants to know what these things are send me a PM. I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to post this, so mods feel free to delete my post.
Originally Posted by tank
Same here, 1 more semester to go, and already paying back the loans. From an outside perspective, a 944 was probably not the best choice of car, but I can't think of anything better to replace it.
I have something better to replace it with, but after spending more than this car is worth I might as well just finish it...

Butters, I hope you know that I am just kidding....

Last edited by Chunkerz; 03-29-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Not too Happy Right Now...