Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Underhood Lt./Windshield Washer Elect Harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 01:31 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944 Underhood Lt./Windshield Washer Elect Harness

Here's a weird one. My underhood light does not work. The bulb and fuse are okay. The switch appears to be okay. I traced the wiring and it goes to a little harness actually IN the hood(??!) tucked behind a driver side hood reinforcement bar. What's the deal? Why is there an electrical harness in there? It appears some wires go to the windshield "squirters? Why? My "spuirters don't work either. There is a 5 pin flat white connector in this harness (with room for a 6th pin) and mine has a wire that is broken or cut off flush to where it exits the black harness covering. If there ever was an associated 6th "pin" in the connector it's not there now. Anybody have any experience with this little thing? Why electrical going to the dquirters? Is'nt there a singl little pum somewhere and just tubing routed to the squirters? Or does Porsche have individual tiny pumps at each nozzle? Any help?
Old 06-27-2001, 01:41 PM
psycho944
AutoX

I don't know about the light, mine does not work either and I havn't tried to fix it. The wires to the "squirters" are for the heat that is suplied to them. The pump is on the front of the resevour. If you activate your washers, the pump should make noise, if it does not it is bad or is not getting power, the nozels are probably fine themselves.

Hope this helps your search.
Old 06-27-2001, 02:50 PM
Gord
Advanced

I took a couple a days off last week to fix some odds and ends on the car and the hood light was one of them. The socket was siezed but the bulb eventually came out but once fitted with the new bulb, nothing happen. I took the tester to it and there was a current but had to clean the contacts for it to work.

Like the above thread, I too found out by following the wire that each of the washers are heated. Go figure... who drives in the winter.

While fixing the door lock button on the center console, I found a wire leading to the ash tray. I didn't know there was tiny "Christmas tree light" in there. Pretty cool... too bad I quit smoking.

Is there more of these hidden gadgets around?

How long did you take to find the reset botton for the tripometer?

I also pickup and installed shoulder straps for the rear seats, alot better for the kids instead of the lap belts.

Gord '88 944S
Old 06-27-2001, 03:03 PM
rangelica
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I recall, the under the hood light only works when the head lights or parking lights are on. Make sure you check that before you start pulling the wiring harness. The logic is that you only need the light at night.

Rick

'86 951
Old 06-27-2001, 03:08 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Oh, so the wires are for heaters, huh? Like I really need to make sure my windshield washer fluid won't freeze in Southern California! Well, at least I know now. And no, the pump doesn't work. Guess I'll have to track that down too. Did either of you notice if you have five or six pins in that little flat white wire connector? As for the light in the ash tray...I found that thesecond day. I took it off work to detail the hell out of the car. I had already found out about the trip odometer reset from this board
Guess I'll contact George B at Ecology 944 for more info onthat flat connector and on the washer pump too. Any other ides?
Old 06-27-2001, 03:16 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Rick,
Thanks, I'll try the headlights/parking lights thing first. Why didn't I think of that? I had just posted a reply when yours came in.
But something Gord said peaked my interest. My car didn't come with central locking..I think? I don't see that option code in the owner's manual or the sticker in the trunk. Anyway, how difficult would it be to add that function? I assume the wiring harnesses in the doors and under the center console are all the same(?) So would I just need the switch and solenoids for inside the doors? Or is it a bigger deal than this? I know I'm off the "thread topic" now but? Any ideas?
Old 06-27-2001, 03:59 PM
Gord
Advanced

Dan, I wouldn't bother with a central locking button if your planning to install an alarm system. Most system would have that as a feature with a remote. The PO had installed an after market system which "tapped" into the locking mechanism. I also found an tiny chrome toggle switch under the dash, if I didn't get a kink in my neck looking up I would have traced it. Is it related??? Any ideas would be appreciated, one wire leads to the lower center dash and the other into the steering column.

Gord
Old 06-27-2001, 04:11 PM
psycho944
AutoX

Gord, the switch is probably a cut-off or valet switch for your alarm. Did you guys know that the digital clock has a replacable bulb in the back of it too? Mine still didn't work after I replaced the bulb, so I just stuck the light from the cigarete lighter in there. I can actually see it at night now
Old 06-27-2001, 04:31 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Gord,
Hadn't thought about putting in an aftermarket alarm but I should. It would probably be easier and better than installing the factory central locking system because I'd have remote, huh? My car has the factory alarm with the key in the body next to the driver door(reminds me of my '66 Chevy van when I was a kid...dating myself, huh?). It's kind of a crappy system compared to what is standard now. I agree with Brian that the little switch is most likely a valet switch.

Brian, good to know about the replaceable bulb behind the clock. Mine actually works! I'm surprised, we'll see how long THAT lasts.

Also, is it just me or does the overhead light seem like too little light? Seems like there should have been a dome light behind the sunroof. Wonder if adding one is possible. Also, the light in the trunk should be a pair. Guess I like lights, huh?
Old 06-27-2001, 05:36 PM
Gord
Advanced

Brian - What type of bulb is used for the clock? If it doesn't work at least I'll know there's an alternative. Does the cigarette light stay on all the time or does it work in conjunction to the head/running lights?

Dan - By the sound of things, maybe a 500 Watt work light might be appropriate!
Old 06-27-2001, 05:46 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Must be Canadian humor
I just have a thing for symetry and having the trunk with a light on one side and not ther other seems odd. Guess I'm just too **** about stuff.
If I weren't I wouldn't be fixing all this little stuff on my car. All I want is EVERYTHING to work! This will probably take a l-o-n-g time.
Old 06-29-2001, 05:49 PM
Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adding central locking...

I looked into this once many years ago...there's a microswitch, solenoid and (I think) a cable needed per door. Then I think there's a locking controller and then of course the console switch.

I'm not sure I buy the advice that one doesn't need the center switch. I mean, even with an alarm, with what will you activate the locks once you are in the car?

Might find a recycler who'd sell ya the stuff as a kit?
Old 07-02-2001, 09:53 AM
psycho944
AutoX

Gord, sorry I took so long to reply. the bulb in the clock is the same kind as for the ashtray. Unfortunantly, the cig light only comes on when the lights are on, annoying, but it was a quick fix.

Quick Reply: 944 Underhood Lt./Windshield Washer Elect Harness