Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Koni Yellows work........ Yes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 02:48 AM
Rob Glass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Do Koni Yellows work........ Yes!

Just got my Koni sport shocks installed and they made a tremendous improvement over the OE Boge shock. I took a good look at the Boges once off the car, and they were really shot. My car only has 62k on it, but I hear over time they wear out anyway,just by handling constant weight. I tested the results by pushing down hard on front and back suspensions before and after my installation. The car was fairly stiff before, but did bounce a few times after rebounding. The Konis however were stiff as hell! I could barely get any flex out of front or back under the same testing. I thought this might take away from ride quality, but it did not. Now the car glides over bumps rebounding quikly and firmly. Lastly, I noticed a great reduction in body roll around the corners. Now the car leaps into corners without flinching one iota. I suggest to everyone to get the Konis, and your car will drive like new again but only better. I cant believe how aggressively the car handles now. I did not want springs after the Konis, they were good enough on their own....... Sorry I sound like a salesman, but these things really are awesome!
Old 08-12-2001, 09:53 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Same here. I replaced my rears with some used ones. Since my fronts are still the OE, I set the rear shocks to a fairly soft setting (about one turn from softest). I noticed a big difference, especially around one of my favorite sweepers (I-77 North to I-85 North). There is a small dip near the apex of this turn that used to upset the balance of the car – once I thought I was going to lose it. I could take the turn almost as fast in the mini van as in the S2. Now, it does not disturb the cars balance at all and it is well outperforming the mini van, as it should. I have also noticed that the rear of the car is generally less squirly than before.

I am really looking forward to the release of those Koni front strut inserts with which Jason at Paragon keeps tempting us…
Old 08-12-2001, 03:38 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rob, congratulations. But while I'm sure the Koni's are real good, and even much better than new Boge's, I'm going to pick a nit here... comparing 63,000 mile OE shocks to _any_ new shocks is going to produce testimonials for the new shock. Even a cheap Monroe would be an improvement. Yes, shocks do deteriorate with age & wear, even when they're not leaking externally.

My point has less to do with shocks than the general idea that a _lot_ of products get sold by less-than-scientific comparisons....how do you think Splitfires get all those user testimonials?;-)

Having said that, I'm still glad that I kept my 968 OE struts when they were replaced at 55K (new OE for old OE; made a real difference there, too); now I've got donors for the Koni inserts, if they'll fit that application.

Jim, AKA Mr. Nitpick
Old 08-12-2001, 04:27 PM
Rob Glass
Advanced

I guess you need some reassurance on your decision to go with OE rather than the nicer Konis. Why dont you send me a schematic of the Boge which tou say is as good or better, and I'll contact Koni to see what the real road test says. I appreciate your generalization comment, but please be ready to show proof of what your saying holds water. The Koni is obviously a much better shock due to the heavier construction, heavier twin tubes, and adjustability. The Boge shock is fine, but not as stiff. Try the Koni, and you will agree with what I'm saying.
Old 08-12-2001, 06:37 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by Michael Stephenson:
<STRONG>Same here. I replaced my rears with some used ones. Since my fronts are still the OE, I set the rear shocks to a fairly soft setting (about one turn from softest). I noticed a big difference, especially around one of my favorite sweepers (I-77 North to I-85 North). There is a small dip near the apex of this turn that used to upset the balance of the car – once I thought I was going to lose it. I could take the turn almost as fast in the mini van as in the S2. Now, it does not disturb the cars balance at all and it is well outperforming the mini van, as it should. I have also noticed that the rear of the car is generally less squirly than before.

I am really looking forward to the release of those Koni front strut inserts with which Jason at Paragon keeps tempting us… </STRONG>
My '89 S2 has this same problem (bobbing in sweepers). Very unsettled when pressed into survice at the track. I wanted to change all 4 struts/shocks at once but front struts are seemingly nonexistant for the S2. I'm thinking I should follow Micheal's route. Please feel free to offer suggestions.
-Chris
Old 08-12-2001, 08:27 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Uh, Rob, please go back and re-read the second sentence of my post. I _did not_ even attempt to imply that the Boge's are as good as or better than the Koni's. Please, by all means, quote my text....

My nit-pick was the comparison between a shock with 63K on it vs. a new shock; brand is totally immaterial.

And no, I don't need reassurnace from anyone on my choice of OE shocks. I know how & on what type of roads I drive my car, and what I expect in the way of a compromise between ride & handling. OK?

Jim, shaking his head...
Old 08-13-2001, 08:16 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris,

When I first had this problem and posted it to the S2 list about a year ago, almost everyone said it was the rear shocks.

I sent mine on one turn from soft because I have heard that if the fronts and rears are real different in stiffness, then it can cause handling problems. In this case it is my understanding that stiff rears would cause the rear to step out easier. Again, when I consulted the S2 list about putting on adjustable rears and not doing the fronts, everyone said to do it.

Note that my used ones are from an S2, which is a slightly different shock than you will get if you purchase them new, so one turn for me would may not equal one turn for you. Looking in the manuals, there are three different adjustable shocks that were put on our cars:

951-333-032-01 Yellow w/ no dots: Turbo & M474 option – basic setting + ½ turn
951-333-032-08 Yellow w/ 2 blue dots: S2 – basic setting
951-333-032-04 Yellow w/ 2 white dots: M030 – basic setting + 1 ¼ turns

I am not real what "basic setting" means.

Best of luck.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:28 AM
Rob Glass
Advanced

Keep shaking your head Jim and maybe the marbles will roll out...... Just kidding, you painted a nice picture with your last response, goood luck with the OE.

Quick Reply: Do Koni Yellows work........ Yes!