Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002 | 08:04 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Post Blow off valve

Well...I am on a roll tonite...at this rate I might catch up to tabor's post count by next month (haha! j/k tabor). I don't want to sound like an ignorant rice boy (I am sure most of you know that I am not, even if I do just have standard visual and audiable rice mods done to my car right now...wheels and exhaust), but I am kind of disappointed by the lack of noise (besides my clicking injectors) that come from the front of the car when I am driving. So, in my next round of car upgrades (soon after I get a job...I'm trying to get one at the local import performance shop...and the owner wants to buy my all-trac...cool stuff) I was thinking of getting a cone filter to make my engine bay noisier and throatier sounding (maybe I should just hold out for a MAF...I don't know), and a blow off valve so I can replace the most likey leaking stock bypass valve with something that will sound cool and give me an added level of protection.

My questions for you...will a BOV that dumps to the atmosphere (as opposed to the bypass valve which recirculates it into the intake tubing) make my car run terribly rich between gearshifts? It would seem to me that air that has already been metered being dumped into the atmosphere would cause the engine to run rich everytime it hisses (like between gearshifts). Would this affect drivability? I was thinking of getting a 1G eclipse BOV and welding a horn to it so it is nice and loud...it would cost me all of $20 for the piece, and would make me happier. TIA,
Old 02-02-2002 | 05:46 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

A BOV that vents to the atmosphere will create a rich air/fuel ratio between shifts. I've thought about getting an aftermarket BOV or bypass valve...and decided that I'm going with a TurboXS Racing Bypass Valve Type-H34. It can be easily plummbed back into the intake or vent to the atmosphere, choice is yours. Also, I've seen TurboXS' products upclose...they appear to have the best design and build quality. I've sold a lot of BOVs through MR2parts.com, most are TurboXS.

If you want loud...quite possibly the loudest BOV, TurboXS also makes the Type H-RFL, which stands for Really ****ing Loud (I e-mailed them about it and verified that is what it means).

Anyways...check out their website, <a href="http://www.turboxs.com" target="_blank">www.turboxs.com</a>

If you want to buy anything of theirs, let me know, I deal directly with the factory.
Old 02-02-2002 | 02:57 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

With my MAF in place and using the updated BOV, I get a quality "poof" when I lift. I had a friend get all over it while I was on the side of the road listening. I could hear it on every shift, especially when the car was coming at me.

You can also hear it in the car with the windows down. My experience with the bigger ones is that they get really annoying over time because they are so loud.
Old 02-02-2002 | 03:31 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

how often do you have to wipe the the oil/crude off of everything.
Old 02-02-2002 | 09:07 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

I have the smaller Greddy valve on my car, you can hear its sonic whistle a mile away, its light, compact and built like the monster blowoff valve we sell. its about the same price also, it has an outlet that can be vented to atmosphere (yes, I did that even when I had the MAF, not bad) or plumbed back to the intake, eitherway....it sounds like a bomb dropping at high boost shifts!
Old 02-02-2002 | 09:14 PM
lou951
Instructor

Check out <a href="http://www.stratmosphere.com/forge_valves.htm" target="_blank">this</a> site. I orderd model 007P for my 951. It should replace stock valve w/o any mods. I will post when I install it. It should arrive mid-week.
Old 02-03-2002 | 01:15 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

The black anodised one is SHARP!! Looks about the same size as the oe part.
Old 02-03-2002 | 11:46 AM
Mr. Bates - Masta2U
Instructor

Craig told me taht a blow off valve to a 951 owner is this board
Old 02-03-2002 | 12:26 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

LMAO
maybe that's why mine is torn?
Old 02-03-2002 | 12:45 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

(1) Install a killer amp and subwoofer

(2) Record the exhaust directly onto a tape or CD as the engine is revved to 5K or so.

(3) Place tape or CD into the player

(4) Start driving and open windows

(4) Play tape back as you drive.

Cheap method of increasing the "noise" level, and it can be modified with the volume control!!

Just funnin'

Bob S.
Old 02-03-2002 | 06:08 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by Lukesilver95186:
<strong>LMAO
maybe that's why mine is torn?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 02-03-2002 | 07:32 PM
Renntag
Pro

Question

[quote]Originally posted by Mr. Bates:
<strong>Craig told me taht a blow off valve to a 951 owner is this board</strong><hr></blockquote>

HUH?
Old 02-03-2002 | 07:58 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

A friend of mine at autothority told me that they make a pice that alows you to put a greddy-s o stock pipes. For people without MAF.
Old 02-03-2002 | 08:59 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by Renntag:
<strong>

HUH?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Craig is saying that rennlist member's "blow off" crap on here. (not offensively I am assuming)

Funky wording
Old 02-03-2002 | 09:06 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by *eurospeed951*:
<strong>A friend of mine at autothority told me that they make a pice that alows you to put a greddy-s o stock pipes. For people without MAF.</strong><hr></blockquote>

im going with the 007p unit that lou and fc reccomend. I think that thing looks amazing.
I dont give a crap how it sounds. I'll most likely re-plumb the unit back into the intake. I dont want all that SCA-TAH floating around in there.

Quick Reply: Blow off valve