Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! WTF is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 07:22 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help!!! WTF is this?

?

This is my front right wheel, and the picture was taken 10 minutes ago. Last night, I was driving and when I was going around a turn, I noticed a strange "jello" like feeling in the front for a split second, now the car makes a strange popping noise around corners, obviously coming from the front pass. side, and feels extremely sloppy in the front. I had originally thought my ball joint went (you can see all of the oil all over the place from when the cam cover used to leak...that would probably contribute to this bushing going), but after turning the wheel and looking, its pretty obvious to me that that is probably what isn't right.

So...what part is that? Sorry...I don't have a schematic of the front suspension stored in my brain (just yet ). I was going to tear apart my car this weekend anyways to do some real wrenching on my own (I spent close to $350 on air tools, a compressor, and other stuff I thought would just be cool to have, and still need a jack and jack stands), so I might as well fix this, but what is that bushing called? Thanks....
Old 08-07-2001, 07:25 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the front sway bar to me, that would also explain the "jello" feel.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:36 PM
Michael Weinstein
Instructor

Wink

Yes, it is definitely the sway bar bushing. I have never seen one go away completely like that before. It is an easy fix, but you'll have to take the sway bar off to put the new bushing on. It would take you about an hour or so. I think a replacement is around $15 - $20.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:43 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

So...this must be the other sway bar bushing that I also have to replace:

Okay, thanks. BTW...does anyone know a part number for the bushing in the first picture? Thanks,
Old 08-07-2001, 08:35 PM
IPC
Instructor

The bushing on the mag. is a control arm bushing. It goes on the rear of the front control arm. As for the part # you will need to know the size of the sway bar to order the part, there are different sizes. When you replace the control arm bushing you will need an alignment also.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:41 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

Hey ribs,
Someone correct me if i am wrong but that last picture you posted is not a sway bar bushing but instead an aftermarket mount for the rear part of the front control arm. Looks like a nice one. As far as the bushing goes I can tell you the part # if you tell me the diameter of the bar. If you dont know the diameter. Take a piece of tape and measure the circumference of the bar and then using the formula C=2(pi)r solve for the radius and then the diameter of the bar.(not trying to talk down but just in case you forgot) Because the bars have very similar diameters take several measurements to get a precise number. Its probably a 24mm, 25.5mm, or 26.8mm bar. I had a bushing almost that bad but mine never broke through. The oil and other fluids get on the rubber and make it expand. My bushing was twice the size of a new one. Crazy. Let us know the diameter and we'll get you the number. Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2001, 09:00 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah...that was just $59 in my box of over $500 worth of parts that need to go on my car when I tear her apart soon. I also need to borrow an engine hoist from someone, too. Bummer. That is a rear control arm bushing, p/n 951.341.023.01. Manufacturered 11/15/2000, in italy. I think its pretty. I have 2 of them .
Old 08-07-2001, 09:24 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, that control arm bushing isn't aftermarket, just a later model update. Way better than the old style - a pretty cheap upgrade for those of us with the early turbos...

Your swaybar bushing went as a result of an oil leak. Usually it is power steering fluid, or motor oil spilt during oil filter change that rots the passenger side bushing away like that. Take care of the leak or you'll be replacing that again...

First time that thing went with me, the popping noise made me think I was about to lose a balljoint. Talk about scared - I think the stain is still in the driver's seat!

Quick Reply: Help!!! WTF is this?