Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which oil weight for my climate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

oil/SAE grade ............ visc @ 104 degrees Farenheit ............ visc @ running temp/212 F.

Redline 15w50 ....................... 138 ............................................... 19.6 (the thicker end of the 15w50 weight oils)

Mobil 1 15w50 ....................... 125 ................................................ 18.0 (the thinner end of the 15w50 weight oils)

Mobil 1 5w50 Rally Oil ............. 108 ............................................... 17.5

Mobil 1 0w50 Racing Oil ........... 100 ............................................... 17.2

Mobil 1 10w40 ........................ 96 ................................................. 14.7

we all love our 15w50 oil... well, you can see from the above graphic that you get to have your cake and eat it too with the 0w50 and 5w50 oils as you're much closer to the viscosity of the range of 15w50 oil grades (at operating temperature) than you are to if you simply ran the the 10w40 oils that the German 4 cylinder automobile owner's manuals listed for more than 20 years.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
these myths....
I've been trying to figure out the reason why you constantly spam every oil thread with all of this misleading information. I've narrowed down my theories:

1. You just love to stir things up - we already know this to be true in OT, so why would the 944 forums be any different?

2. You just like to see how many people you can dupe into believing this stuff (goes along with #1 just more in depth).

3. You honestly believe everything you type and want to convince as many people to follow along to make yourself feel better about your decision.

It's really sad how little you really understand from all this research. Go ahead and post more YouTube and internet link cut / paste as proof.

People in this forum need to realize you are the person who posted undeniable "proof" that Fidel Castro conspired with J Edgar Hoover and space aliens to kill JFK. Your credibility has been forever shot by anyone who casually visits OT.

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
why 15w50 over 20w50??
Either or, I run both depending on which brand I'm using that week. My favorites in no order:

Redline (I run this in my SAAB because it's a high mileage turbo)
Brad Penn
Valvoline VR1

In winter I run Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Trucks in the Audi and SAAB 5w-40. All my cars run 15/20w-50 in the spring, summer, and fall.

I'll be the first to let OD know when I have an oil related failure in any of these engines. All over 100k, two over 200k.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I've been trying to figure out the reason why you constantly spam every oil thread with all of this misleading information. I've narrowed down my theories:

1. You just love to stir things up - we already know this to be true in OT, so why would the 944 forums be any different?

2. You just like to see how many people you can dupe into believing this stuff (goes along with #1 just more in depth).

3. You honestly believe everything you type and want to convince as many people to follow along to make yourself feel better about your decision.

It's really sad how little you really understand from all this research. Go ahead and post more YouTube and internet link cut / paste as proof.

People in this forum need to realize you are the person who posted undeniable "proof" that Fidel Castro conspired with J Edgar Hoover and space aliens to kill JFK. Your credibility has been forever shot by anyone who casually visits OT.

Either or, I run both depending on which brand I'm using that week. My favorites in no order:

Redline (I run this in my SAAB because it's a high mileage turbo)
Brad Penn
Valvoline VR1

In winter I run Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Trucks in the Audi and SAAB 5w-40. All my cars run 15/20w-50 in the spring, summer, and fall.

I'll be the first to let OD know when I have an oil related failure in any of these engines. All over 100k, two over 200k.
+1....
OD doesn't understand what he's cutting and pasting. The irony is that the only other thing that he seems to write about is how we all should be switching to a Chebby B8 motor...so perhaps OD, you could stay out of both these types of threads in the future. Then we can all get some rest.

Quick Reply: Which oil weight for my climate?