Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Form or Function?
Form > Function
16.42%
Function > Form
83.58%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Are your a Form or Function guy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:06 AM
OzJustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you have certainly opened a can of worms with this thread Paul haha.

I have often contemplated the form over function question myself.

My stance - I prefer form so long as it aids function. If form is at the expense of function then I won't do it. e.g. lowering a car 3 inches rather than 2 can look that much better but if the extra inch is going to bugger up the suspension geometry and result in a poorly handling car then the form should take a back seat.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy

Not sure how the C5 got brought into this?
You're not?

It's because we all, sorry, "ya'll", didn't buy Corvette's which would have been the only way any of us would not have been liars for saying we were function over form 100% (even though no one said that anyway)

We had three Corvettes in the GT Series in Dubai. A squillion dollar GT3 Calloway Z06.R which was pretty darn quick, and a couple of Z06 based cars, one of which ran in my class and was only a second or two quicker over a 5km lap, despite, I am pretty sure, having had a lot more money spent on it just to run it for a season than my entire 3 year budget and the cost of the car.

Judging by the pit girls, giant transporter with lounge facilities and general bling they brought to every race meeting, I think that team were not 100% function either..probably why their car was slow
Old 02-16-2013, 07:31 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
i truly believe these are the best production kit cars evaar.

you can keep going and going. even after you're divorced and penniless.

well, now they get outta my way.

+1
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

I really think some of you guys have the wrong impression. This thread has nothing to do with the car you own. Or what car is better then what in the function section. Simply asks if you're a "form" or "function" guy
Again, not a simple black and white question. It absolutely has to do with which car we are talking about.

I own 10 vehicles. Some of which I'm 100% function, and I don't care about the form of them at all! Some of my cars are all about the design, the textures, the smells and sounds...form! Other are some mix of both. They need to look good but not at the expense of function within a certain margin.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Now you are getting somewhere Cole. You are acknowledging that it's about peoples opinions and attitudes and you are talking about what you think, instead of telling people what they think is wrong. Your summary is a good observation about how most people typically think about their cars.

The next step for you to realise is that some people, unlike yourself, just happen to view their 944 more in your first category... "some of which I'm 100% function, and I don't care about the form of them at all!" Not everyone thinks about their 944 that way, but some do. You personally may not be able to fathom why someone would view a 944 that way because you think there are better cars to be function focused about, but so what?

The people who tend to have that thinking about their 944s are typically racers. You see the 944 as a 'classic' and have it presumably to enjoy driving it. Some see the 944 simply as a chassis with a decent weight distribution and reasonable development potential for the price. You want to argue that the Corvette is better at that for the same cost, some don't agree with you and for some of us that live outside America where Corvettes are expensive cars that is absolutely not true. We should save that debate for another thread maybe.

We all realise it's not simply a black and white question. I think everyone actually agrees with you on that, and most comments say exactly that. But it doesn't mean those of us who are more function focused would all buy Corvettes!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

[/QUOTE]

From the side it's hard to tell which part is pointing forward! Bet this thing goes almost as fast in reverse as it does in forward. Hmm, is that the ultimate in function? Or form?!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:57 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

if I look at what I've spent on my car during ownership it is mostly function- suspension mostly.
some is a crossover- wide grippy tyres, sports seats, CS steering wheel, CS rear seat delete, CS centre console tray, etc. All bought for functionality but a nice bonus of looking the bees knees.
then theres my 968 parts car for my 944. bought to do a conversion for my 944 to turn it into my interpretation of my perfect 944. Also bought for bragging rights of using 968 running gear.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:45 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think some of you guys have the wrong impression. This thread has nothing to do with the car you own. Or what car is better then what in the function section. Simply asks if you're a "form" or "function" guy
I can't vote on the poll. Both form and function are equal for me. I couldn't live with just one or the other.

My "track car" 951 has plenty of aesthetic upgrades that serve no function. And my "daily driver" 951 has a handful of functional upgrades that aren't aesthetic or serve me no comfort for daily driving.

I think finding a certain balance between the two makes me happier overall.

Random drift pic to break the tension. (C5's are for grandmas anyway).

And one more for good measure, of the current daily driver.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OzJustin
Well you have certainly opened a can of worms with this thread Paul haha.

I have often contemplated the form over function question myself.

My stance - I prefer form so long as it aids function. If form is at the expense of function then I won't do it. e.g. lowering a car 3 inches rather than 2 can look that much better but if the extra inch is going to bugger up the suspension geometry and result in a poorly handling car then the form should take a back seat.
Look at what i've started haha
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drift a 944
I can't vote on the poll. Both form and function are equal for me. I couldn't live with just one or the other.

My "track car" 951 has plenty of aesthetic upgrades that serve no function. And my "daily driver" 951 has a handful of functional upgrades that aren't aesthetic or serve me no comfort for daily driving.

I think finding a certain balance between the two makes me happier overall.

Random drift pic to break the tension. (C5's are for grandmas anyway).

And one more for good measure, of the current daily driver.

Id say your function in the end.. your drift car sits real nice but there is a reason behind it, & the camber, it's all function but still form.

Quick Reply: Are your a Form or Function guy?