Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 04:04 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts
Post Annoying sunroof

Is there a way to rig the sunroof so it makes a buzz or a ding when it is securely closed? I usually have to hold the button down until it looks right, then press up on the roof to make sure it's not going to flap around when I'm on the highway.
Old 11-23-2001, 05:00 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like your microswitch, located under the triangle-shaped flap,at the front-middle of the sunroof, is either bad or out of adjustment. Must make a "click" sound when you put the sunroof back in, otherwise, it will not recognize that the sunroof is installed, and the lifting elements will not engage. These lock the sunroof in place. Mine lock when I start driving the car at about 5mph. With the sunroof in, and in the closed position, press up on the tang on the front-middle of the sunroof itself, pushing it into the microswitch. If you hear a click, then it's not adjusted right. Take out the three plastic plugs just behind the tang, and adjust the screws until the microswitch clicks. If this doesn't fix it, check the microswitch for continuity in the closed position. If continuity is good, then it might be one of the rear microswitches, or relays.

Bryon
Old 11-26-2001, 07:12 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same thing.
Found that the roof switch failure did not allow me to move the roof up. Once that was settled, the roof did not close properly.
Cause was wrong position of the (top) micro switch in the rear. Should be moved towards the drive motor slightly.
If that does not help, there is some slack in the mechanism so the switch is detecting at different positions of the cam (depending if you come from the up position or open position).
Fixing this will require replacement of the famous gears.
Take care
Old 11-26-2001, 08:24 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

You know, there's a reason why I never open the hatch....

Thaddeus
Old 11-26-2001, 09:13 AM
TomH
Pro

Mine is the same way as well. I know if it is all working and the arms are properly set, it should stop at the right spot, but I adjusted my arms to account for the switch not working and so I have to manually stop lowering it so I don't retract the arms all the way.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:21 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

My arms retract all the way every time I close it so I have to guage when it is closed "enough" by pushing up on it too.
So Lizard is saying all I have to do is either adjust or replace the front micro switch? Don't know what he's talking about regarding this "click" though. I've had my roof in and out and never heard a click (though I honestly wasn't listening for it!) And without the audible click my arms still lift it and lower it. Are you saying the arms shouldn't work without this "click" or that the lack of the click (actually the mechanical engagement that causes it -somewhere?) is the cause for my arms retracting all the way when closing? Adjust the switch? or just bend the tang?

P.S. These sunroof mechanisms have GOT to be one of the most @$^$#%& LAME designs ever put out!
Old 11-26-2001, 04:40 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know, there's a reason why I never open the hatch....
To keep the snow out?
Old 11-27-2001, 04:59 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Dan
...I have to do is either adjust or replace the front micro switch
The arms are moving up, so the micro switch in the roof is OK.
Your problem is with the switch in the back (the one with the 3 leads on them).
Either dead or mis-aligned.
Replacement switch is simple (USA standard V5 style), easy obtainable.
Replaced mine with 20A rated units.
Take care
Old 11-27-2001, 05:47 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

One last thing to try before buying components. I replaced my sunroof gears a few months back and I experienced "the flap". The roof popped up while I was driving at about 50 or so and scared the $#!% out of me. Mine had never had this problem before. I barely opened my window to equall out the preasure and it came back down till I got home. Upon investigation, the front switch was clicking, but the arms traveled all the way to the withdrawn position instead of "pre-lock". They had always stoped a little before full withdrawl. I pulled it all back out and I gradually added a tooth of gear travel to both the arms, and tested until I got the desired result. Now the arms have that pre-withdrawn stop condition that keeps Bernoulli from trying to steal my sunroof, And I thought that man had principles.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:43 AM
Dano_944
Instructor

Wink

My 2 cents: I've replaced the gears and repositioned the sunroof microswitch sensor mechanism twice: the second time I got it right. If your arms are retracting too far when you close the top, and both arms are extending at the same length, your micro switch sensor in the back is improperly set/positioned... they tend to do that. Reposition the micro-switch sensor(s)in the back (in the motor box), and your closure problems should be solved.

Here's a great trick for reducing greatly your future sunroof problems: the factory torque recommendations on the little slip clutch is 6.5. I backed that off to 5.0 and the stripping of the plactic gears and micro-switch sensor relocating blues are over. My roof still opens under wind load at 5.0 on the clutch torque.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Annoying sunroof