Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 12:35 PM
eugene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post brake upgrade

Those of you who has upgraded to Big reds.
I assume that most have upgraded from the stock 5/18bar brake bias regulator to the 5/33 bar. Any problems ? Happy with the balance ? Anyone tried a 5/45 bar unit ?
Would appreciate any input regarding calipers, rotors, usage, pads, bias valves etc
Old 08-27-2001, 05:05 PM
Brent 89 - GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I switched to the 33 and have only added 968 ducts and cryo rotors. My '86 does not have ABS, so getting your heel and toe downshifting right is mandatory or you will be sliding the rear tires. A full out stop on the street will lock the rears first, but not until you are down under 20 mph or so. I am still undecided on the change. I have one more DE this fall to try it out (just installed this spring) if I can't keep the rears turning I will switch back when I flush the fluid in the spring. If I installed big reds I think I would leave the stock 18 and let the fronts do the work.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:50 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts
I have the Big Reds on the front of my car with the stock rears. The bias valve was removed and a brake bias valve installed. I have been running the bias set all the way to the rear and it seems to work fine. Fronts and rears wear at about the same rate.
I've used it this way at VIR, Putnam and Mid Ohio. The system was installed by Doug Arno at VCI, very nice job.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:12 AM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally posted by Eugene Hahn:
<STRONG>Those of you who has upgraded to Big reds.
I assume that most have upgraded from the stock 5/18bar brake bias regulator to the 5/33 bar. Any problems ? Happy with the balance ? Anyone tried a 5/45 bar unit ?
Would appreciate any input regarding calipers, rotors, usage, pads, bias valves etc</STRONG>
I'm running the 5/33 valve and it works well. I think you could go to the 5/45 with ABS. It really depends on your tire sizes. My front wheels always lock first.

As far as selecting rotors, etc. I have quite a bit of info on my web site. I would also check out
Lindsey Racing
Old 09-05-2001, 06:27 PM
Mark AW
Cruisin'

Brent, what are 968 ducts and do they help. I have a 951 with S brakes on it and the brakes are overheating. The car is running pagid blues and racing castrol fluid but i need to duct some more air. I was going to fabricate something but if there is a cheap 2nd hand option it would be easier. Cheers Mark
Old 09-06-2001, 11:51 AM
Geoff Daniels
Intermediate

Mark,

The 968 ducts are two pieces of plastic (per side) that scoop air from underneath and then divert it to the rotor. I just installed them on my 86 951 and will be doing a DE this weekend so I will find out how effective they are. I had been overheating my brakes with Performance Friction 90 pads. I paid $149.00 at Diversified Cryogenics for the complete set with hardware to mount them.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:16 PM
Mark AW
Cruisin'

Geoff is that a peice of plastic at the front and a peice arround the calliper or just two peices at the front? If so wHere does it fit at the frnt of a 944 turbo? Any help much appreciated
Old 09-10-2001, 10:14 AM
Geoff Daniels
Intermediate

Mark,

Each side is made up of 2 hard rubber/plastic like pieces. One mounts to the control arm via the bolt that holds the sway bar. This piece scoops air from under the car and directs it up towards the second piece which mounts to the strut (in place of the original air deflector). This piece directs the air to the rotor just in front of the caliper. It is a nice setup that does not require any hoses mounted to the front spoiler. I did have to trim about an inch off the lower piece as it would have hit the rotor when the wheel was turned. Plastic on a hot rotor would not be good.

I just completed a 3 day Drivers Ed at VIR and had none of the brake heating problems that I encountered during previous DEs. In addition to the 968 cooling ducts, I removed the dust shield that mounts to the inside of the rotor.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: brake upgrade