Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Lighting Refelctive Kit or New Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Ryan_U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CurtP, that is my type of project! Keep us updated please.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ryan_U
CurtP, that is my type of project! Keep us updated please.
+ 1 Million!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see the problem with factory wattage bulbs (I think the ones from PepBoys were like 2.1 or 2.3) and aluminum foil. Looks stock lightish again!

May be interested in LEDs when the right way has been pinned down.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I was out for a couple of days and just getting back to the thread.

Thank you Aro - and to the other guys who put in to the thread. I am going to start lining up to do this job, so all the help and pics were great !
Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, it's been 4 months since any update. Anyone get anywhere with this? I've done the tin foil route with blue LEDs. It isn't too bad. Still a bit dim. I honestly think the best route is to do something more permanant with the reflective coating. I would think there's got to be some liquid silver mirror paint type stuff that could be used. Sure it's temporary, but what's 5 or 6 years or maybe 10?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I did the identical thing to my cluster, i.e., aluminum foil tape, acetone free nail polish remover, etc. But I did opt for a little higher wattage bulb after looking at the bulb chart on Clarks Garage regarding this matter. I used a spoon to form the foil smoothly into the rounded part of the light tunnels. Now the cluster lights up like it's right out of the factory. I think the whole project cost me about $15.

Last edited by mytrplseven; 07-10-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:02 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I bought the kit in my first post to redo the panel plus of course all of the light bulbs etc.

I had thought the front black surface of my panel was in near perfect condition. The trim and other portions of the panel were tops.

But when I got the instrument panel out and out of the car I could tell there was deterioration on the front black portion of the panel as well. When I ran my finger inside and across that front portion it also just smeared the already loose black into a smudgy look. I thought about other remedies for a while, but then I decided to just go with a new panel.

The reason is the same I have applied to the car in most other repairs and replacements. The original Porsche parts have lasted going on 28 years now so it makes sense to go back with that in my car. It is a pretty fair bet I wont have to do it again. That is the first time the panel was off in the cars life.

But it is good to do it the other way too. I would have gone with the repair kit had the front portion of the panel been better.

In the future, if you guys have that out, you might NOT want to do as I did and test it because it will probably , or at least could, do as mine did and smudge the front .
Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i need to do this
Old 05-15-2013, 01:23 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CurtP
Now I'm all-in to find a real solution. I've got all the parts to do the project, but just haven't had the time to work on it. I have a full set of backlit gauge faces, new needles that can be illuminated and a LED ring that goes around the base of each needle to illuminate it. The gauges will look stock when I'm done, and the hope is that nothing jumps out at you as being different - until the lights come on at night.
Where'd you get those from?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully this link is helpful/useful.

http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/te...orhousing.html
Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunkerz
Where'd you get those from?
MoMan in Poland. Unfortunately the project has been on hold. I'm dying to get back to it soon. The biggest issue I'm having is figuring out the needles.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Something I am curious about is if anyone has switched to white faceplates AND done the cluster lighting fix, specifically an LED conversion.

I replaced my bulbs with LEDs, lined the tunnel with aluminum tape and removed the remaining reflective paint and replaced with aluminum tape. The results are a not too bright light, so no windshield reflection issues. But I'd like to see the dials a bit better.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Ok so an update.

On the weekend I took the 951 for a spin to turn its oil and add gas. Traffic was thick here .... sheesh . So I was later getting away from it and getting back in . It was getting a little dark and I turned on the lights and WOW .... I can see all the gauges, tach, speedo, just lit up like it was 28 years ago. It was a big change from what I have had.

This was a good project and it came out nice . If yours is like mine was and running on the original lighting and panel it is good interior upgrade if you drive at night .

My 951 hasnt seen many night drives in years, but it is again ready if I want to go.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So, according to PET, there are three types of bulbs in the 944/968 cluster [see attached pic].

The first is 1 of 3 light channel 3w bulbs, the second is 1 of many "idiot light" 1.2w bulbs, but the last one perplexes me. The Dealer says there are supposed to be 6 of these in our clusters. Where? And what for?

Are these just bulb inserts that go into the black, twist in, housings for the idiot lights?
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM
86ninefive1
Intermediate

I purchased a re of reflective tape from Home Depot for $3.00. Cleaned the lends with fine steel wool that will not scratch the plastic laid the sf adhesive tape and trimmed to fit. Finished it off with super bright LEDS and my dash lighting looks super. Hope this helps.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Instrument Lighting Refelctive Kit or New Panel?