Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Lighting Refelctive Kit or New Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:33 AM
86ninefive1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read my post. Typing from an iPhone makes me look like I can not spell. I found the hardest part of the job was taking the instrument cluster out of the car. I have also done two other cars for my friends and it takes about 10 minutes to do and the results are well worth it.

I don't think anyone who does this will be disappointed.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 AM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
The first is 1 of 3 light channel 3w bulbs, the second is 1 of many "idiot light" 1.2w bulbs, but the last one perplexes me. The Dealer says there are supposed to be 6 of these in our clusters. Where? And what for?
Could the last one be for the automatic gear selector lights on the dash?

I haven't had mine apart so I cannot say, maybe someone else with an automatic can chime in.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Jeff, that's certainly possible. If that's indeed the case, then MT cars/turbos would not need any of those grey base bulbs.

Does anyone else know the answer or have a theory?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Aussie944S
Instructor

Questions for those lads that have been in there...

I was playing around with a blacklight in the garage with the kids and having a giggle at the shine the car gave and also our other white objects etc.

When I jumped in the car to grab some keys I needed today I noticed the white dashes and orange bars where light up so marvelously that it got me thinking when the time came would it better to replace the entire light area with a blacklight.

I should've taken a photo thinking about it now but I will when I remember next.

What's your thoughts?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a guy on ebay selling an LED kit that comes with blue LEDS mounted on new light tunnels. I think he is in Hong Kong. The contrast blue/orange looks pretty impressive, but I think I would like white light better. He offers four colors..blue, white, and I think it was red and orange. Anyone tried these or do I have to be the beta tester? lol
Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

86nine. That's pretty much the look I'm after. Can you tell us which LED you used and where you got them? Also, are they dimmable with the dimmer switch? I hear you can still use a potentiometer to dim them.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 AM
dave1192
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note aboout LED's -- I replaced my instrument lights with LED's a year a ago and was disappointed with the three general lights that feed the light tunnels (I did a quickie aluminum foil fix on the tunnel surfaces).

This year I discovered that SuperbrightLEDS.com had new, brigher LEDS for this position -- I bought them and they are great. The Lumin output is about double what the previous ones were. There are several colors, but I stuck with cool white. Here's the info:

WLED-xHP5: 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge
Base - WLED-WHP5: Cool White

Dave
Old 07-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dave. Just ordered some. Can they be dimmed with the dash switch? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

I just got the super bright LEDs that Dave1192 mentioned and WOW! I got the same results in the pic that 86ninefive1 posted. They are slightly dimmable with the dimmer switch but they are not excessively bright. No dead spots and it looks like a flood of fluorescent light. Absolutely spectacular! I buffed out the scratches in the clear lens cover while I had the instrument cluster out and now it looks like new. Probably better than new with the LEDs.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:41 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

tucked along the inside of my instrument framework's lower lip, I've got a string of LED lights (from autozone). they're exceedingly well hidden, such that, if you were to step into my car... well, I've had 3 o 4 of the Rennlisters get in, and the subject of my cool, bright purpleish/white, 10,000 K Xenon colored instruments never comes up. why ? guess why. they do what they're supposed to do: front light the panel perfect. very bright, but not to the point where it becomes a distraction. nobody ever notices, and i always forget to mention them.... i'm prolly one of the worst wrenchers on the forum and I've cheated my way to the the brightest instrument panel on less than 2 hours invested.... after pulling the instrument cluster, i replaced the dead bulbs with more garbage in the hopes of getting some light from back there (YEAH SURE)..... and tapped a hot wire to get juice to for the LEDs on a string.

don't wait 'til winter. do this mod now.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

dave112 i am going your route!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
tucked along the inside of my instrument framework's lower lip, I've got a string of LED lights (from autozone). they're exceedingly well hidden, such that, if you were to step into my car... well, I've had 3 o 4 of the Rennlisters get in, and the subject of my cool, bright purpleish/white, 10,000 K Xenon colored instruments never comes up. why ? guess why. they do what they're supposed to do: front light the panel perfect. very bright, but not to the point where it becomes a distraction. nobody ever notices, and i always forget to mention them.... i'm prolly one of the worst wrenchers on the forum and I've cheated my way to the the brightest instrument panel on less than 2 hours invested.... after pulling the instrument cluster, i replaced the dead bulbs with more garbage in the hopes of getting some light from back there (YEAH SURE)..... and tapped a hot wire to get juice to for the LEDs on a string.

don't wait 'til winter. do this mod now.
Could you post a picture or two?

Much thanks

Quick Reply: Instrument Lighting Refelctive Kit or New Panel?