Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro 944 in US with reg- buy or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 PM
f1pilota
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro 944 in US with reg- buy or not?

I have an opportunity to buy a very clean 85.5 Euro 944. It has proper registration etc. is it risky to buy this vs. a USA car? It has the nice bumpers with built in fogs... Plus the 160hp? Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I guess it depends on your states regulations. If it's already titled here then it shouldn't be an issue. I don't know if euro spec cars use many different parts than are on the US cars tho. Parts might be harder to get.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
art
Pro

I have one. The VIN did not come up properly [mine is an '82] but they hand entered it in the computer and I was [am] fine.

Euro engine was toast, I put in an '86 US engine and was not too upset since it will run on regular where the Euro engine needs premium. I just ordered one of the Rogue MAF systems, should boost power up to what the Euro would have been.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Just make sure the Euro bumpers and lights are in good condition. Not the same bumper lights as US version and €€€'s expensive from Europe.

If it has original Euro headlights (unlikely) they will not shine the sides of the road like the US headlights do. Not a bad thing but just be aware that the you will not clearly see the unlit traffic signs here. In Europe they have lit traffic signs.

If the engine gives good compression and leak down numbers the 10.6 compression on the Euro's is a plus. Premium gas though might be a minus.

Some Euros came without a CAT from the factory, that might be an issue with emmisions depending on which state you are in.

BTW it's not an 85.5 it's an 85. The 85.5 thing is a US model issue. All 85 models in Europe had the facelift dash or as they call them the "Oval Dash".
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Just make sure the Euro bumpers and lights are in good condition. Not the same bumper lights as US version and €€€'s expensive from Europe.

If it has original Euro headlights (unlikely) they will not shine the sides of the road like the US headlights do. Not a bad thing but just be aware that the you will not clearly see the unlit traffic signs here. In Europe they have lit traffic signs.

If the engine gives good compression and leak down numbers the 10.6 compression on the Euro's is a plus. Premium gas though might be a minus.

Some Euros came without a CAT from the factory, that might be an issue with emmisions depending on which state you are in.

BTW it's not an 85.5 it's an 85. The 85.5 thing is a US model issue. All 85 models in Europe had the facelift dash or as they call them the "Oval Dash".
The euro front bumper lights are different to US spec ones. ALL euro spec lights have front fog lights.

Euro cars don't have the side lights, not sure what you mean by it wont shine on signs?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paulyy
The euro front bumper lights are different to US spec ones. ALL euro spec lights have front fog lights.

Euro cars don't have the side lights, not sure what you mean by it wont shine on signs?
What I meant to say was the euro bumper lights are unique to the euro. They are "driving" lights rather than fog lights and euros had a fog light option for the front spoiler that fit where the US front lights are. That front spoiler/valance came with or without light cut-outs in Europe.

As for the Euro headlights, they shine all the light to the front whereas US DOT headlights scatter some of the light to the side to illuminate traffic signs.

Hope that explains it.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

This post explains it better than I did. http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums//sh...78&postcount=1

But...a lot of people here convert to euro e-code lights for the better road pattern. The are sold for off-road use only but that doesn't seem to deter anyone, including me They do give better straight ahead vision and as long as your state doesn't check for DOT makings then it really doesn't matter.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I meant to say was the euro bumper lights are unique to the euro. They are "driving" lights rather than fog lights and euros had a fog light option for the front spoiler that fit where the US front lights are. That front spoiler/valance came with or without light cut-outs in Europe.

As for the Euro headlights, they shine all the light to the front whereas US DOT headlights scatter some of the light to the side to illuminate traffic signs.

Hope that explains it.
This post explains it better than I did. http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums//sh...78&postcount=1

But...a lot of people here convert to euro e-code lights for the better road pattern. The are sold for off-road use only but that doesn't seem to deter anyone, including me They do give better straight ahead vision and as long as your state doesn't check for DOT makings then it really doesn't matter.
Very interesting! What about those side red lights on the rear? We don't have those. I know the side indicators are infront of the wheels were as mine are behind the front wheels.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
art
Pro

The lights in the bumper are the high beams. Mine has no fogs, valance has no opening for them. Car has the switch, must have been changed post front impact in its past life in Austria. No side lights either.

I have the no-cat exhaust, but I am using the US spec exhaust with the 02 sensor.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by art
The lights in the bumper are the high beams....
Varies from country to country I suppose. On mine, which were from UK or Sweeden?? The bumper lights have a smaller bulb inside that work in the first and second lighting position on the switch. So they are on when the lights are on. The main lights come on for high beam but also when the lights are down they come on when you flash without popping up the main lights.

I don't think there are sidelights on any Euro car, they had smaller side repeaters for the turn signals only.

Quick Reply: Euro 944 in US with reg- buy or not?