Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Clutch Pedal to the floor, no fluid to Clutch Slave.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Edtay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Clutch Pedal to the floor, no fluid to Clutch Slave.

So as the title says, my clutch pedal is glued to the floor it seems. No resistance when going in (snaps to floor essentially) and pulling it off the floor it seems to pop right out. Filled up the reservoir with brake fluid and got to bleeding the system. This is a one man operation so i pinned the pedal down with a breaker bar off of the driver seat. got underneath and the first 2 times i could hear air or something when i opened the valve. 3rd time i got fluid to squirt out. 4th-6th time it was just trickling/drips. after that i was getting nothing or just a slow drip. The entire time of bleeding the car, my pedal feel stayed the same. I pulled the line to the clutch slave while the clutch pedal was in, thought that would push out some air in the system and its putting out nothing. What gives?

PS: The car has been sitting for 8 months and it worked before i swapped motors.

Thanks,
Edtay
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Mikes-951
Rennlist Member

I had the same thing. i replaced the Master and all the troubles went away. Also, when you are bleeding the system, try jacking up the rar of the car to force fluid in the reservoir towards the clutch master. good luck!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Yep, just had this done in the past week- I went ahead and did the master and slave with the hoses. Feels like a new clutch now! That'll get you back on the road.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Edtay
Instructor

Well, let's hope the master clutch cylinder on the donor car is good...
Old 12-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Mikes-951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edtay
Well, let's hope the master clutch cylinder on the donor car is good...
They are about $100 new, is it worth the risk?? I would just put a new one in.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Yeah, unless you're scrapping for cash and/or have a lot of free time, with the labor involved I would just put a new one in. Check out the procedure on Clark's before making your move.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How big are your fingers... The nuts are hard to hold on to for the master cylinder. You can reach it and take it off without removing too much stuff -at least on an early car.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Edtay
Instructor

Random thought but what would cause the MCC to fail? Also what about bleeding up from the bottom?

@Ritz: Its a late car

@Sentine: Broke high school kid, that should shed some light on my current financial/time allocations.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Edtay
Instructor

got bored this afternoon and took the 944 off jack stands. Looked at the reservoir and it dropped to below half. Topped it up and pumped the pedal which caused a major drop in fluid level. Did it again and again but on the 6th time its not dropping much and the pedal is still snappy on the motion. Moved the car to look for leaks on new pavement and there's a drip at the Reservoir it seems but thats it so far. Still MCC or just need a good bleed?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 AM
968 GUY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best advise is to replace all components at once or you may have to do this over again. The hose from the res. to the master may look good but can have perforations and let air get in.
The hose from the master to slave cyl. can either balloon or collapse internally.
Would be a good idea to completely flush the fluid, brakes and clutch.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edtay
got bored this afternoon and took the 944 off jack stands. Looked at the reservoir and it dropped to below half. Topped it up and pumped the pedal which caused a major drop in fluid level. Did it again and again but on the 6th time its not dropping much and the pedal is still snappy on the motion. Moved the car to look for leaks on new pavement and there's a drip at the Reservoir it seems but thats it so far. Still MCC or just need a good bleed?
This is the only issue I have ha with my Turbo to keep it down for months because of Where it happened at. Do what you have to do to get this fixed. I promise if it goes it will not be at a convenient location....I was coming off a bridge going downhill i traffic in another town..
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Edtay
Instructor

Ill let you know what the diagnosis is from my mech. (Outsourcing work now that winter is finally here :P)

Quick Reply: Help: Clutch Pedal to the floor, no fluid to Clutch Slave.