Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If Porsche brought back the 944 Turbo this current engine would be my choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking If Porsche brought back the 944 Turbo this current engine would be my choice

Engine layout Front
Cylinder layout / number of cylinders 6
Displacement 3.0 Liters
Horsepower 240 hp
@ rpm 3,500 - 4,000
Torque 406 lb.- ft.
Compression ratio 16.8 : 1
Top Track Speed 135 mph
0 - 60 mph 7.2 sec

The New Cayenne Diesel. I imagine since it has these specs weighing 4,795 lbs.
Take 1 ton off that and i think you have a monster. Any thoughts?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

Would love a diesel, but I would also pick the current Audi S4 motor - the supercharged DFI 3.0 V6...awesome.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want an engine that only makes 240hp? Modern day family sedans make 200-250hp. We wouldn't want it to lose a Honda Accord, do we? If Porsche brought back the 944, I highly doubt they would ever put a diesel engine in it. Putting a diesel engine in a sports car is just wrong...
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Fara
Rennlist Member

I'm still saying, I'd love to see an engine equivalent to the Ford Barra engine in it- Specifically the 270T.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine

There's a fairly good chance that if I come across a 944 with a blown engine/transaxle, I'll be doing that engine swap myself.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by Chunkerz
Why would you want an engine that only makes 240hp? Modern day family sedans make 200-250hp. We wouldn't want it to lose a Honda Accord, do we? If Porsche brought back the 944, I highly doubt they would ever put a diesel engine in it. Putting a diesel engine in a sports car is just wrong...
Diesel you can boost lots. Lots of torque. Less parts. Better gas mileage. 240rwhp is nothing to sneeze at @400lbs torque. Keep in mind I said 944 not 911.....think they had enough with that. Base platform would take nothing to pull more hp out of. Not sure I see a downside. Also was just stating what I would like asking what others would like.
I think it is the torque of these cars that keeps them relevant performance wise today as oppose to hp. A chipped Turbo will know a factory 370z on its ***.(I have done it from a stop) It has more hp but the torque is not there.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's an interesting thought on engine choice. However, if we are playing the "what if" game, I suspect that Porsche would use some variant of the VW/Audi 2.0 Turbo that's in the VW GTI and Audi A3. Although they only have 200 hp in stock form, chipping typically pushes hp to 225 to 240. Now, imagine if displacement was increased to say 2.2 or 2.5 liters, air intake and exhaust improvements made and a slightly larger turbo with variable vanes was used.

None of this really matters because Porsche/VW/Audi has already announced that 4cylinder sports cars will be the domain of VW and Audi.

Why, I suspect a big reason is Porsche currently plays the performance balancing game between the Caymen/Boxster S models and the Carrera. Just imagine if Porsche did make a Caymen/Boxster Turbo. It'd be nipping at the heels of, if not spanking the Carrerra Turbo just like the 944 Turbo did to the 930.

The 944 Turbo was intentionally not engineered to it's top performance because it would, in many ways, match or outperform the 930. The same would be true of a Caymen/Boxster Turbo.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Of all engines in the VAG family I would opt for the 2.5L cyl in the TT RS and RS3. In stock trim it is making 360 hp and 343 ft/lbs, and with a few minor modifications they can make 400 x 400 in reliable trim. Put that in a front engined / rear drive package, and you have the makings for one awesome little car.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Scott Evil
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ian
Of all engines in the VAG family I would opt for the 2.5L cyl in the TT RS and RS3. In stock trim it is making 360 hp and 343 ft/lbs, and with a few minor modifications they can make 400 x 400 in reliable trim. Put that in a front engined / rear drive package, and you have the makings for one awesome little car.
This!!! Please!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Kona
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ian
You read my mind. RS3's are a blast to drive! And I would want more than 240hp in a newer 944, at least around the 320 mark.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by ian
wouldn't they call it the 945 then
Old 11-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
Diesel you can boost lots. Lots of torque. Less parts. Better gas mileage. 240rwhp is nothing to sneeze at @400lbs torque. Keep in mind I said 944 not 911.....think they had enough with that. Base platform would take nothing to pull more hp out of. Not sure I see a downside. Also was just stating what I would like asking what others would like.
I think it is the torque of these cars that keeps them relevant performance wise today as oppose to hp. A chipped Turbo will know a factory 370z on its ***.(I have done it from a stop) It has more hp but the torque is not there.
I own a fairly modified VW Golf TDI and while the bootloads of torque is nice, there's just no power above 3500-4000rpm, where as my 944 really kicks in and starts pulling nicely. A gasoline powered engine definitely wins when it comes to engine sound. The fuel economy is nice, but who buys a sports car for it's fuel economy?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by Chunkerz
I own a fairly modified VW Golf TDI and while the bootloads of torque is nice, there's just no power above 3500-4000rpm, where as my 944 really kicks in and starts pulling nicely. A gasoline powered engine definitely wins when it comes to engine sound. The fuel economy is nice, but who buys a sports car for it's fuel economy?
Think you ignored most of the better points of a diesel. Less parts. Easier to work on. Can put more boost safely. Engine sound? Not sure that Porsche has ever made and engine choice based off of that...

DOHC and turbo can with no issue have LOTS more up top even if diesel. Again I was looking at engines that Porsche makes currently. We know they do NOT want to make it a 911 history shows this. It cannot out preform the 911 because of some complicated reason outside my paygrade. Based on these facts it would easy to say it would not have 911 numbers from factory. Porsche is notorious for many adaptations on one model give spice and variety which and many enjoy.

I am looking at the picture based on realism. We would all like 500 reliable hp. It is not going to happen. Honestly I think if it were based on the old 951 with 50/50 light weight or lighter than current models...300hp turbo would with VERY little mods out perform most of what they have as flagships.
Proof is kind of already there with out 86+ Turbos. Keeping in mind new it would HAVE to sell for $55,000 to $70,000 (numbers based purely on looking at what current models cost new.)
With that in mind it is tricky. $80,000 is GTR territory. I Highly doubt Porsche would release a car called a sports car with less ability for the same price point. Which may be why we won't see another 944. But stranger things have happened.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by Kona
You read my mind. RS3's are a blast to drive! And I would want more than 240hp in a newer 944, at least around the 320 mark.
I think everyone would but I think history can speak for itself that Porsche will not want it whipping their babies ***. 2 months after launch people would have it to 600hp spankin GT3.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by catamount
That's an interesting thought on engine choice. However, if we are playing the "what if" game, I suspect that Porsche would use some variant of the VW/Audi 2.0 Turbo that's in the VW GTI and Audi A3. Although they only have 200 hp in stock form, chipping typically pushes hp to 225 to 240. Now, imagine if displacement was increased to say 2.2 or 2.5 liters, air intake and exhaust improvements made and a slightly larger turbo with variable vanes was used.

None of this really matters because Porsche/VW/Audi has already announced that 4cylinder sports cars will be the domain of VW and Audi.

Why, I suspect a big reason is Porsche currently plays the performance balancing game between the Caymen/Boxster S models and the Carrera. Just imagine if Porsche did make a Caymen/Boxster Turbo. It'd be nipping at the heels of, if not spanking the Carrerra Turbo just like the 944 Turbo did to the 930.

The 944 Turbo was intentionally not engineered to it's top performance because it would, in many ways, match or outperform the 930. The same would be true of a Caymen/Boxster Turbo.
I agree 100%...............I also think that Porsche on a competitive standpoint with(GTR) others a 944 based sports car(not super car) would do nothing but help. Personally I am little confused. What company hold themselves back from making a better car just to sell the one the WANT to be the better car. That seems to have already happened.
Engine would be the biggest choice because other than the hell changing the clutch the platform is damn great. Add in some modern suspension with 90% of the old concepts kept(light, 50/50, keep it simple).
Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Personally if i were just thinking up any engine...I would prefer they made a better version of the current engine possible using specs from people who have modded and stroked them...3.2 straight 4? But again I doubt this would ever happen no matter how good a car it made because we have enough 20 year old cars beating up on new ones as it is. Not sure they would assist in the matter.

Quick Reply: If Porsche brought back the 944 Turbo this current engine would be my choice