Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stu (S2) overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Stu (S2) overheating

So the achtung light came on as I was nearing my destination two nights ago. It was for high coolant temperature.

I messed around and put more coolant in and called it a night. The next day - yesterday - we headed out with some extra water in case of a repeat. Didn't get very far - the needle climed to the top of the gauge. Stopped, opened the pressure relief screw and topped off the coolant. Proceded to go through this routine about 6 or 7 times to complete the 10 mile trip to our farm.

I assumed it was a stuck thermostat. Since these are impossible to check or remove when in the vehicle - I ended up breaking the thermostat open so it would flow coolant. This did not correct the problem.

I am now thinking the remanufactured waterpump that I installed, just this past spring, has failed. Based on the speed at which things heat up and get hot - I am thinking that the pump is not pushing water at all. How does this happen? Is it possible the impeller is not spinning on the shaft?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 123 Posts

I had this happen, the impeller can spin on the shaft as you suspect. It is tempting to tack weld or roll pin it but that wrecks the core.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:00 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

could it be the belt slipping on the pulley or maybe a bad headgasket? check the tension on the belt by the water pump
Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem coming home from Hershey a few years ago. The PO had put one of those non-OEM cheap waterpumps in the car. It had a plastic impeller and the vanes had actually worn enough that it was no longer moving a sufficient amount of fluid....so if I drove below around 70mph it would be in the red zone.

It was a FAST drive back to NJ and the pump was replaced with the (much more expensive) new OEM unit and has been good since.

GL!

Joe
Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
could it be the belt slipping on the pulley or maybe a bad headgasket? check the tension on the belt by the water pump
Definitely no on the belt slipping. Highly unlikely on the head gasket.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I had this happen, the impeller can spin on the shaft as you suspect. It is tempting to tack weld or roll pin it but that wrecks the core.
That seems to be the logical explanation. Sure doesn't seem very logical though.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so where is the water going? overflow tube? Seems like if it was just getting hot that you wouldnt need to keep refilling the coolant....
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
so where is the water going? overflow tube? Seems like if it was just getting hot that you wouldnt need to keep refilling the coolant....
Yes - it must be going out the overflow.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar (Identical?) experience with my '90 S2. The factory original pump failed at IIRC 50 ~ 60K miles. It had a plastic impeller which began to spin on the shaft. I believe that it is press-fit from the factory and that the heat cycling / age cause it to eventually loosen. On mine, the pump vanes looked perfect, the shaft/bearings had no excessive radial or axial play, there wasn't a drop of coolant leaking, but when I got the pump off it was obvious - with the pulley held stopped the impeller spun easily.
Good luck with it!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944S2IFISH2
I had a similar (Identical?) experience with my '90 S2. The factory original pump failed at IIRC 50 ~ 60K miles. It had a plastic impeller which began to spin on the shaft. I believe that it is press-fit from the factory and that the heat cycling / age cause it to eventually loosen. On mine, the pump vanes looked perfect, the shaft/bearings had no excessive radial or axial play, there wasn't a drop of coolant leaking, but when I got the pump off it was obvious - with the pulley held stopped the impeller spun easily.
Good luck with it!
I got the pump out yesterday. The impeller was loose on the shaft and it came right off when I grabbed on to it.

Ordered a new (rebuilt) unit. Will need to very careful with regard to belt tensioning with the auto-tensioner. It may have been too tight.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:51 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious why you went the rebuilt route?

When I did mine a few years back, it was only about $100 cheaper than new....and when you add in the labor if it **** the bed.....I sprang for the new one.

Also curious...was the one that failed the non-oem with the plastic impeller?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J Berk
Curious why you went the rebuilt route?

When I did mine a few years back, it was only about $100 cheaper than new....and when you add in the labor if it **** the bed.....I sprang for the new one.

Also curious...was the one that failed the non-oem with the plastic impeller?
Rebuilt is $99. New is $330. That's a lot more than $100 difference. The extra $230 can be spent on other things.

Yes - it had the plastic impeller. I don't know that is was non-OEM. It's very likely that it was an OEM pump. It was not that important to me to fully investigate whether it was or was not.

Quick Reply: Stu (S2) overheating