Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83 944 Help Sought with Cabin Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:34 PM
3BadBirds
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 83 944 Help Sought with Cabin Leak

I have a water leak in my '83 944 that is driving me crazy. Whenever my car gets wet, a puddle forms in the floor plan in front of the passenger side rear seat. I had the typical battery compartment corrosion issue so I originally attributed this problem to that (i.e., the water would enter thru the battery compartment, flow down the firewall, pass thru the front seat and into the rear area. Despite addressing this issue, however, the leak remains. Recently, I tried masking / sealing off the bottom of the windshield and inner cowl areas so that water couldn't collect there but was surprised to see I still had the leak!

Any suggestions on where to check next? My 944 is parked on level ground and I already checked the sunroof. I can't see any other obvious places where it can be entering but know H2O can be very creative.

Cheers!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3BadBirds
I have a water leak in my '83 944 that is driving me crazy. Whenever my car gets wet, a puddle forms in the floor plan in front of the passenger side rear seat. I had the typical battery compartment corrosion issue so I originally attributed this problem to that (i.e., the water would enter thru the battery compartment, flow down the firewall, pass thru the front seat and into the rear area. Despite addressing this issue, however, the leak remains. Recently, I tried masking / sealing off the bottom of the windshield and inner cowl areas so that water couldn't collect there but was surprised to see I still had the leak!

Any suggestions on where to check next? My 944 is parked on level ground and I already checked the sunroof. I can't see any other obvious places where it can be entering but know H2O can be very creative.

Cheers!
Not an expert...but sounds like the sunroof drain tube is the issue. IIRC it runs down behind the door on that side.

I bet someone will post more specific info soon.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM
voo-doo
Advanced

In agreement with F40LM. Check the sunroof drains.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:47 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm just glad Porsche didn't build submarines.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 AM
3BadBirds
2nd Gear

At present my 944 is like a giant watering can. That galvanized body really holds the water nice (and for a long time)....

I checked the drains on my sunroof with some nylon cord and they appeared to be clear. I put some plastic over the sunroof and will check the floor tomorrow after the rains stop to see if we have found our culprit.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:37 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I'm just glad Porsche didn't build submarines.
What do you mean? Porsche built the 928 for almost 20 years

Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try taking a hose with a some sort of attachment that will give you a little pressure, and shoot the water stream down into the furthest back corners behind the firewall, behind the battery especially. There should also be drains through the firewall with small rubber flaps that allow water collecting in the battery box to drain out, make sure they are not blocked. I had the same problem on my 87, where i would get several inches of water in the passenger footwell, and on really bad days i would even have water rain down on my feet on turns...it turned out that there are drains in the back of the fenders (as best as i can describe that area) behind where the battery is, and then the same on the opposite side (behind where the fuse block is on the late cars). These clogged up on my car, and when i shot them out with a high pressure hose (maybe even a low pressure power washer) i ended up shooting out inches of dirt and dead leaves from years of collecting...and all of a sudden my bathtub issues were gone!

Quick Reply: 83 944 Help Sought with Cabin Leak