Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 Turbo Starts then turns off

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 86 Turbo Starts then turns off

Have several new things at once on my car. Only electrical thing is M-Tune (80lbs)and soldered DME. All that was pretty straight forward. Checked my solders volt too. Not sure what else to do. Checked all the vacuum lines. Maf is plugged up to a line with power.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:08 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Now just cranks...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 PM
nofalls
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All sorts of possibilities. I put the distributor cap on with some struggle one time and cracked the rotor. Car ran fine half the time, then just died. After diagnosing no spart at #3 I pulled the cap to find one broken rotor and bunches of red bits.

Go back to basics - fuel, spark and spin. Sounds like the starter is working so that's out. Get a battery charger (not set to starting help boost or whatever unless you want to fry your speedo) and get ready to start charging your battery over night if you do not find the fault soon.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by nofalls
All sorts of possibilities. I put the distributor cap on with some struggle one time and cracked the rotor. Car ran fine half the time, then just died. After diagnosing no spart at #3 I pulled the cap to find one broken rotor and bunches of red bits.

Go back to basics - fuel, spark and spin. Sounds like the starter is working so that's out. Get a battery charger (not set to starting help boost or whatever unless you want to fry your speedo) and get ready to start charging your battery over night if you do not find the fault soon.
thank you sire will do. Been on phone with Josh@ Rogue and think it is is either the coil or reference sensors I have access to another coil so I will give you one guess as to what it will probably end up being...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Battery freshly charged coils changes. Original coil was fine...back to start then stop. Ordered reference sensors and harness......after order was places I go and keep looking online....well I find a way to test voltage or so it said. Tested at the dme plug and am getting 984 olms...in the correct range so said the guide.......did I just was money on a solution to a non problem?

Tested the car with 3leg. Pump is running. Car starts then stops. Checked the spark plug wires all in correct. Idk..
Old 10-20-2012, 03:23 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by nofalls

Funny....my distributor cap is pretty movable...extremely so....I will check it in the morning or in a few hours ......Surely would not cause car to start then shut down after 1 sec.....and then no start......maybe...will check

Quick Reply: 86 Turbo Starts then turns off