Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEE help me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Porsche_Shiftin911
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEE help me!!!

I am lowering my 84 944 N/A and I already have the fronts done and started on the rears today. I am just simply reindexing the rears and not changing out the Tbars. I have read numerous times that the Tbars can be reindexed without having to drop the suspension. I have read that you can pop the end caps off and re adjust the Tbars.

So, today I managed the get the end caps off without having to take a single thing apart on the suspension other than take the rim off. What I can't figure out is how in the world you turn the bars!?!?! The bars are set back into the casing and there is nothing on the bars that you attach a socket wrench or star keys or anything to turn the bars.

I am clearly missing something here!! Can someone please tell me what I need to do now in order to turn the Tbars to lower the car? Also, I am not looking to be cutting holes in my car. I will drop the suspension before I go cutting holes.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:56 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

911 t-bars can reindexed without dropping the rear suspension but 944's, unfortunately, can't. There is some ride height adjustment bulit into the suspension using an eccenric.

Paragon has a good procedure

Last edited by gregeast; 09-16-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most will drill and tap or weld something on then you have to pull them out and clock them- much easier just dropping it IMHO
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Porsche_Shiftin911
Cruisin'

So, why have I seen posts with people saying they take the end caps off so they can quickly reindex them at the tracks?

There is no way i can reindex them by welding on a nut and putting a socket wrench on it to turn them? That is what I was thinking I had to do.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Porsche_Shiftin911
Cruisin'

I am so being confused with this whole TB thing lol. Sounds like a have a couple weekends of head aches approaching lol.

Can someone break down this process for me? I don't mean write me up the whole procedure cause i know that would be a pain. Just a quick over view of how to get them reindexed.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check out Clark's Garage under Garage Shop manual (sorry, can't link directly to the procedure):

http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Porsche_Shiftin911
Cruisin'

I think I know what write up you are talking about, I seen a bunch of them on the web. I wish there was a way to do this with them still in the car. If I could tap something onto them then what exactly is stopping me from turning them?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Turning them, confused? are you under the impression that you can wind them in and out?

Basically it's just a spring steel bar with splines at both ends. To reindex you have to actually pull them out and move the splines to a different position. There's no turning with them in the housing, not even on the 911's.

What the 911 guys do is drill a hole in the rocker panel, then with the end caps removed you can pull the tb out through the hole and reposition the spline to lower or raise the car.

Without that hole you are dropping the suspension to do the same thing.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Porsche_Shiftin911
Cruisin'

ok, I was under the impression that they sit in splines that rotate. That's why I thought it could be turned. So, basically I have to drop everything then take the TB out and turn it in the "lowering" direction put it back in and re-install everything?

My question now is, there is nothing in the casing that has to be adjusted in order for the car to be lowered? I can't invision how the ride height will adjust by just take the bar out and spin it.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 AM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Just a suggestion, you might get more response if you put the topic in the title instead of the pleeeeez crap.
The car's height is held by the tension on the torque tube. If you back off the bar a notch the tension changes and it will sit lower. You will not have as much travel for street driving and you might have clearance issues with certain rims. Also indexing is difficult, you might have to do it a couple of times to get it right.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

" I can't invision how the ride height will adjust by just take the bar out and spin it."

You don't just spin it, you are relocating the splines into a different position so that the spring plate arm ends up in a different position. If the end of the spring plate is higher the car will sit lower and vise-versa. As xsbank says it's not an easy job and normally requires the suspension to be dropped twice to get it exactly where you want it.

Here's a good write-up: http://www.oz951.com/public/docs/Torsionbarsetup.doc

You said you lowered the front, by how much? Normally if you just fitted the regular aftermarket lowering springs you don't have to reindex the rears. There is enough adjustment at the rear spring plate bolt to get the rear in line with the front.

Last edited by MAGK944; 09-17-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Last edited by MAGK944; 09-17-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_Shiftin911
ok, I was under the impression that they sit in splines that rotate. That's why I thought it could be turned. So, basically I have to drop everything then take the TB out and turn it in the "lowering" direction put it back in and re-install everything?

My question now is, there is nothing in the casing that has to be adjusted in order for the car to be lowered? I can't invision how the ride height will adjust by just take the bar out and spin it.

The trailing blade(which rigidly connects to the trailing arm) pivots on the torsion bar axis....and bearing is provided by the end cap bushings.
What stops the trailing blade to pivot freely around is the torsion bar itself which acts as a spring element by providing resistance while it is twisted.
Do a read-up before reindexing or you'll waste days trying to get the right height.
Few people have managed to obtain the desired heigh from the first try.
It took me three suspension drops and reindexing to get it right...i used an elevator.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0005_large.jpg
Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

The bottom line is that this in not a procedure that should be taken lightly. Honestly, you need to read the procedures that have been posted, re-read them and then read them again until you understand what you're doing. It's not rocket science but it is a major undertaking.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Porsche_Shiftin911
Cruisin'

Thanks to all of you for your help!! It is much appreciated. I have read the procedure once but not thoroughly cause I was under the impression I didn't have to go that route. I will read them all thoroughly now.

The front is lowered an 1.5 inches. I read that the excentric bolt only gives you 3/4 of an inch. Unfortunately that won't be enough to even the ride height. I will read the procedure all week and tackle this job this upcoming weekend. I have plenty of knowledge or lowering cars (having done more cars then I can count even my 04 911 C4S) but, have never messed with tbars. So, this will be a learning experience for me which I like learning new things.

Quick Reply: Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEE help me!!!