Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom MOMO 7004 hub

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Custom MOMO 7004 hub

I'm assembling the final pieces of a track car build and discovered that, when used with my favourite steering wheel and a quick release, the MOMO 7004 hub is too deep for my application. I have used this hub before, but never with a QR.

The solution I borrowed from the Honda guys was to section 2" out of the metal cage. Obviously, this is for use in a track car with harnesses. I wouldn't suggest or recommend it for a street-use car, since I understand that the MOMO hub is designed to deform if you're thrown against it in an impact.

I'll test fit it this weekend.

Note: it looks a little deformed in the photo -- that's thanks to my iPhone camera and shooting at close range.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 PM
ahetzel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the same thing but I cut bent and overlapped the cage before welding and shorting the rubber overlay.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You did such a nice job I didn't even realize you cut/welded it until I read ahetzel's post. I haven't looked at a momo hub in a while so it didn't click at first!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by ahetzel
Did the same thing but I cut bent and overlapped the cage before welding and shorting the rubber overlay.
Do you have a picture? I had a really hard time finding pictures of this modification when I searched, which is why I thought I'd start a thread on it.

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
You did such a nice job I didn't even realize you cut/welded it until I read ahetzel's post. I haven't looked at a momo hub in a while so it didn't click at first!
It does look really good, but I can't take credit for the welding: a local fabrication shop did it for me. I'm great at burning stuff with a welder, but this job called for something other than a mess of molten metal!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:23 AM
ahetzel
Advanced

I will take and post tomorrow!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 PM
ahetzel
Advanced

Here are three pictures. I had the same issue. I wanted to use the hub with a quick release but the wheel was too close to me and the directionals too far away from my hands. I only took about 1.25" out as I wanted a little extra room with gloves on to make sure that I would not inadvertently hit the directionals or wipers when making a quick turn. I wish that I would have shortened it just a little more. Distance from the center of the steering wheel rim to the directional stalk is 2.75.

I overlapped and screwed it together before welding to hopefully make sure that it stays together. Yours looks much better than mine. Great job!
Attached Images    
Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by ahetzel
Here are three pictures. I had the same issue. I wanted to use the hub with a quick release but the wheel was too close to me and the directionals too far away from my hands. I only took about 1.25" out as I wanted a little extra room with gloves on to make sure that I would not inadvertently hit the directionals or wipers when making a quick turn. I wish that I would have shortened it just a little more. Distance from the center of the steering wheel rim to the directional stalk is 2.75.

I overlapped and screwed it together before welding to hopefully make sure that it stays together. Yours looks much better than mine. Great job!
Thanks for the pictures. One of the reasons I didn't tackle welding it myself was that I didn't think I could accurately clamp the two pieces so that the wheel would be square to the steering shaft. Putting bolts through the pieces to hold them was a good idea!

You did a nice job cutting the boot. I'll try to do it carefully when I install the hub this weekend.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM
ahetzel
Advanced

Pictures when you can...

Quick Reply: Custom MOMO 7004 hub