Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Electric Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:43 PM
szabon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This mod looks real interesting. I'm thinking about doing this when I do my belts in another 20k miles. Has anyone actually put together a kit to convert to electric water pump, or is it just put stuff together and get your pump modified by someone?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by szabon
This mod looks real interesting. I'm thinking about doing this when I do my belts in another 20k miles. Has anyone actually put together a kit to convert to electric water pump, or is it just put stuff together and get your pump modified by someone?
This is just putting stuff together. I thought about making a kit with full on instructions. But I figured I would just do the write up and others could follow along.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Update: So with the new temperatures of winter I am forced to change a few things on the water pump set up. I am placing the water pump in the bottom radiator hose. It will still be flowing in reverse through the head first then the block. However to make room the power steering pump needs to be removed. Mine has not been hooked up in like 4 months so I think I will be ready to search for a manual rack. But the main thing that was causing problems was the sensor location. in the radiator hose it would not read the engine temp the same as on the original dash gauge. This would case the pump to not run on constantly but on and off. Making the controller for it think it still needed to be warmed up. So I am relocating the sensor to the back of the head. Where the heater hose connects. I have a Lindsey Racing Block off Plate that I had get drilled and tapped for the sensor. I believe this will solve my problems. I will post pictures on Sunday when I am doing all of this. I just got all my parts in today but will not have time till Sunday.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts

Can I borrow your PS pump for a few days if it's coming off?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM
jns
Racer

Great job on your electric water pump build. I'm sure you'll get those little bugs worked out easy.: ) Those wheels look great on your car!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Spencer if I remember correctly I was just going to give it to you haha. How much of it do you need so I can try to keep it all in one piece and not just cut all the lines :P

Thanks John you helped a lot when I was designing this thing! I like the style of the wheels I just do not like how much they weigh :/

-Peter
Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally I was going to put it on someone else's car. Now I just need it briefly for some measurements. Don't care if you cut lines.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Nashio
Instructor

So on Sunday I didn't get as much done as I wanted.... But I did get the sensor relocated. I also am trying to figure out how to mount the water pump on the lower radiator hose due to clearance (even with power steering off) If I can't figure something out tomorrow I will just mount it back on the upper hose. Anyways here are the pictures I promised.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Nashio
Instructor

*Update:

So I ended up settling with the pump being in the upper hose. With the sensor now on the head I am getting a proper reading on the sensor. For the past months I haven't had to worry and look down every 5 seconds at my temp gauge, it stays at the set temp I put it at. I recently went for a 3 hour hard drive through the mountains and even had a 100+ mph run at one point and the temperature never went past the half mark. I am really happy with how it drives and my average mpg is 26 right now with a race frwilks chip (hopefully soon that will replaced with rouge's NA-tune). I don't think I can drive my car economically anymore with how quickly the engine responds. If I am ever having a bad day I just jump in the car and it automatically makes me smile.

A quick reference on the engine drag I have reduced or eliminated. PS Belt removed, A/C delete, BS delete, Underdrive Alt, Fidanza LW Flywheel, and of course the electric water pump conversion.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:51 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashio
*Update:

So I ended up settling with the pump being in the upper hose. With the sensor now on the head I am getting a proper reading on the sensor. For the past months I haven't had to worry and look down every 5 seconds at my temp gauge, it stays at the set temp I put it at. I recently went for a 3 hour hard drive through the mountains and even had a 100+ mph run at one point and the temperature never went past the half mark. I am really happy with how it drives and my average mpg is 26 right now with a race frwilks chip (hopefully soon that will replaced with rouge's NA-tune). I don't think I can drive my car economically anymore with how quickly the engine responds. If I am ever having a bad day I just jump in the car and it automatically makes me smile.

A quick reference on the engine drag I have reduced or eliminated. PS Belt removed, A/C delete, BS delete, Underdrive Alt, Fidanza LW Flywheel, and of course the electric water pump conversion.
How is everything still running?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Just like a normal car. I am about 3,000 miles from changing the timing belt which should cost me a total of $20 give or take. So I am finally reaping the maintenance reward. Although to be honest with how busy I have been with work I haven't tinkered with my car too much. I have just been driving it around. I have been thinking about selling it. And getting Ford fiesta st. But I dunno I keep going back and fourth if I can really get rid of my 944.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashio
Just like a normal car. I am about 3,000 miles from changing the timing belt which should cost me a total of $20 give or take. So I am finally reaping the maintenance reward. Although to be honest with how busy I have been with work I haven't tinkered with my car too much. I have just been driving it around. I have been thinking about selling it. And getting Ford fiesta st. But I dunno I keep going back and fourth if I can really get rid of my 944.
Keep it. Considering using your method on my turbo engine I'm building as it has been mentioned to have even more benefits there.
I'm looking into trying to make my early car even cooler. Changed out all the temp items. This might be the next step on that along with better oil cooling.

Anything you would do different or improve about it if you had to do it over?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
Keep it. Considering using your method on my turbo engine I'm building as it has been mentioned to have even more benefits there.
I'm looking into trying to make my early car even cooler. Changed out all the temp items. This might be the next step on that along with better oil cooling.

Anything you would do different or improve about it if you had to do it over?
Yes ideally I would love to have two cars with rear torsion bars. The part of me that wants to let it go is just the carnival part that wants instant gradifaction. Haha but I think I will keep it. I am working on a bumper swap to have the turbo look. I installed a rear fiberglass bumper. She is almost ready for rallycross I just need to get another set of tires and wheels

I learned a lot with this project. And am pretty happy with how it turned out even with the small hiccups. I am okay with the smaller failures because it was about trying again until it worked how I wanted. But I would hve got a rental car at the same time if I were to do it again haha.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Esprit
5th Gear

Any further updates?

I am doing the same conversion with my 87 924s. Your information has proven to be very valuable to those of us pursuing this work. I have run a D.C. pump on my Lotus for ten years now w/o a failure. So when my pump started leaking recently, it was essential to convert. I have also done a really nice conversion on a 12a RX7 engine.

The major difference I would like to point out is the tensioner redesign in 1987. I have the later HUGE auto tensioner that I removed along with the 17mm bolt in the top of the oil pump housing to fit the conversion tensioner.

What I really need now is the proper width, smooth tensioner that includes at least the 'lip' on the inside to prevent the belt from walking off the back side of the cam sprocket. Please let me know the part number, etc.

Once again, thank you for such a great write-up and pics!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Esprit
5th Gear

Conversion is complete and running. The following is the tensioner info:
Gates T41046 Engine Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley, 1992-1998 Hyundai Sonata 2.0, Steel, smooth/Backside (60mm x 10mm x 33.5mm) - Flanged 2.4" diam x 1.3" works with Honda accord 113 tooth timing belt
Purchased at Napa for $19.00

Quick Reply: 944 Electric Water Pump