Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Electric Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 PM
locke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see this working out even better with megasquirt. Ditching the controller and making megasquirt keep control over the pump... My questions. How can this be rigged better. Can it be rigged to be behind the power steeting cooler? So that it can be run in stock line of flow to maintain the use of a thermostat . Other than that, removing the impeller and pulley, roller on the tensioner and the accord belt.

Or if reversing flow proves beneficial, also flipping the thermostat around and move the pump on the parallel side described? I dunno, im in theory land here. Would this be more beneficial with the linsey racing steam vent kit should any bubbles exist in the head?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by n_hall
is there a benefit to reversing the coolant flow, or were you forced to because of the pump?
Cooler head = cooler valves = cooler chamber = more compression and ignition advance on pump gas.

The Chevy LT1 made use of this in the early 90s to make ~340HP on a then 40-year old engine and still pass smog...
Old 09-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by locke
I see this working out even better with megasquirt. Ditching the controller and making megasquirt keep control over the pump... My questions. How can this be rigged better. Can it be rigged to be behind the power steeting cooler? So that it can be run in stock line of flow to maintain the use of a thermostat . Other than that, removing the impeller and pulley, roller on the tensioner and the accord belt.

Or if reversing flow proves beneficial, also flipping the thermostat around and move the pump on the parallel side described? I dunno, im in theory land here. Would this be more beneficial with the linsey racing steam vent kit should any bubbles exist in the head?
You can mount it down low if you want. Also if you wanted to have the stock thermostat still in place, you would have to drill a hole in it to reduce pressure build up and just wire the pump to an ignition source. It would also cost less because you would not need to buy the controller. However with the Controller that acts as your thermostat hence why mine is removed. I mounted my pump on the top hose mainly for the bling factor because I want people to see it when I open my hood. Why waste the time designing a unique system if you can't show it off easily.

Also I decided to flow the coolant in reverse to make the head cooler as stated above. One thing I should mention is I do not drive my car hard until the pump is running on constant. because it is in intervals of on and off until operating temp is reached. I am sure the LR steam vent would work great with this as well, (I plan in the future when I do head work to put that on) just to make bleeding the coolant system that much easier.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 PM
locke
Advanced

Sounds like a must do for anyone planning high compression or high boost. While doing this, i would feel more comfortable doing high compression with nitrous with this. I still wonder why no one has developed a block guard for this motor. That to would help with higher revs reliability asuming someone wanted to run significant boost also at a higher rpms.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Nashio
Instructor

I can see it being big money to make these engines rev up high. Not only would you want to change the internals but the transmission is not geared for a high rpm monster. When I get down the road to building my engine the highest I would want it to rev would be 7500. And even then that might be a little too high for street use with not enough low end. I am sure you could make a block guard like the honda b series engine does. However this engine doesn't have vtec or even 16 valves.... my engine is a 8v 2.5L so it has weight on the crank unlike a 1.8L. Not saying it can't be done, it would just cost some money to make it last.

Edit: Did a little google search and it looks like the engine came with a stock crank girdle? Or at least the 88 engine did. can anyone correct me?

Last edited by Nashio; 09-10-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM
locke
Advanced

Don't worry, I'm in perspective here. I am aware of our engines. Again i was just thinking that a turbo guy could run a bit more boost with this reverse flow and.if having open deck blocks would become an issue.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by locke
Don't worry, I'm in perspective here. I am aware of our engines. Again i was just thinking that a turbo guy could run a bit more boost with this reverse flow and.if having open deck blocks would become an issue.
Check this build out, it blew my mind reading it this morning. That is a bunch of power from a NA. It also might answer some of those questions of yours better than I can.

Edit: Forgot to post the link https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...for-400hp.html
Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Am reading this for the first time today. Also can't see pics on my work laptop but looking forward to checking them out tonight. Sounds like you really did your homework on this.

My car is a 500-600 miles a week daily driver. Let us know how life is going with the electric water pump every now and then. If it improves gas mileage any measurable amount I am very interested.

Thanks for all your trouble for properly documenting this.

michael
Old 09-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by F40LM
Am reading this for the first time today. Also can't see pics on my work laptop but looking forward to checking them out tonight. Sounds like you really did your homework on this.

My car is a 500-600 miles a week daily driver. Let us know how life is going with the electric water pump every now and then. If it improves gas mileage any measurable amount I am very interested.

Thanks for all your trouble for properly documenting this.

michael
I can say that it maybe got me 1-2 mpg's however the way it pulls makes me smile everytime. I get an average of 28-30 mpg When I first got my car it was only doing 19-20. Other things I have done to it aside from the water pump are,

Removed power steering, removed ac, underdrive on crank and alternator, Changed the ignition system to a nology coil and hotwires, halo spark plugs, removed 60 pounds of subwoofers from the hatch :P

I still need to change out my 17" wheels the rears weigh like 30+ pounds with the tires.

(OT) In your avatar is that your 944 with the different hatch? I have always been a little curious about those as for weight savings but wasn't sure about blind spots.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nashio
I can say that it maybe got me 1-2 mpg's however the way it pulls makes me smile everytime. I get an average of 28-30 mpg When I first got my car it was only doing 19-20. Other things I have done to it aside from the water pump are,

Removed power steering, removed ac, underdrive on crank and alternator, Changed the ignition system to a nology coil and hotwires, halo spark plugs, removed 60 pounds of subwoofers from the hatch :P

I still need to change out my 17" wheels the rears weigh like 30+ pounds with the tires.

(OT) In your avatar is that your 944 with the different hatch? I have always been a little curious about those as for weight savings but wasn't sure about blind spots.
I have had several folks ask me about the IFC hatch. Some love it some hate it. I love it. I keep meaning to actually weigh it to compare to a glass hatch and will do so soon I hope and will post. If I had to guess I would say it weighs just over half what the glass hatch does. Does it decrease rear vis? Yes a little, but nothing that properly adjusted mirrors don't make up for. The other plus is the decrease in heat build up in the car when parked, with the huge rear glass in place it turns the inside of a 944 into a green house in the south. Another small negative...it decreases the rear cargo space a little, but the trade off is people can't see what you have in there near as easily either.

I have done away with the power steering system but can't say goodbye to AC.

I am no expert but since your wheels are 'unsprung' weight changing them might not be that much of a saving for you. But by all means keep me posted what you find out. It would have to be a pretty big saving for me to get rid of my 18" wheels, like the looks too much.

By 'the pull making you smile' do you mean it helps the torque of the car that much? That would be a plus for me as well.

Thanks for info, have a good Sunday.

michael
Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Nashio, what kind of 17" wheels do you have that you are trying to off-load?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:05 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by F40LM
I am no expert but since your wheels are 'unsprung' weight changing them might not be that much of a saving for you. But by all means keep me posted what you find out. It would have to be a pretty big saving for me to get rid of my 18" wheels, like the looks too much.

By 'the pull making you smile' do you mean it helps the torque of the car that much? That would be a plus for me as well.
Reason why I want lighter wheels is because I see it as drive train weight. The lighter the rotational mass the easier it is for the car to accelerate and brake. It is like the concept of a light weight flywheel you can rev faster and engine break more efficient as well. Exception with the wheels is the brakes will work better because there is less rotating mass to slow down.

Also with no exhaust, intake, head, or compression mods, my car has a good amount of torque and power. I also forgot I have a FRwilk chip as well in there. My test mule I run against is my friends honda civic with a b16 that we modified together that revs to 9k and puts out 193 to the ground. I can start to keep up with that thing finally but it starts to leave me around 40-50 mph. (Usually do rolling starts at 5-10 mph never dead starts) benefits of living on a private road

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Nashio, what kind of 17" wheels do you have that you are trying to off-load?
Honestly I have not been able to identify them. The fronts are 17x7.5 with 205/50/17 Continental tires and the rears are 17x9 with 245/45/17 Falken tires (just replaced the rears today) here are some pics of them if you want to identify them for me (Also get to show my car haha)

Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashio
Reason why I want lighter wheels is because I see it as drive train weight. The lighter the rotational mass the easier it is for the car to accelerate and brake. It is like the concept of a light weight flywheel you can rev faster and engine break more efficient as well. Exception with the wheels is the brakes will work better because there is less rotating mass to slow down.

Also with no exhaust, intake, head, or compression mods, my car has a good amount of torque and power. I also forgot I have a FRwilk chip as well in there. My test mule I run against is my friends honda civic with a b16 that we modified together that revs to 9k and puts out 193 to the ground. I can start to keep up with that thing finally but it starts to leave me around 40-50 mph. (Usually do rolling starts at 5-10 mph never dead starts) benefits of living on a private road

Honestly I have not been able to identify them. The fronts are 17x7.5 with 205/50/17 Continental tires and the rears are 17x9 with 245/45/17 Falken tires (just replaced the rears today) here are some pics of them if you want to identify them for me (Also get to show my car haha)

Damn I like those wheels
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I like those too...what would you want for them

Also, were you in Coronado Saturday? I saw a 944 in that color pulling away down the main street.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I like those too...what would you want for them

Also, were you in Coronado Saturday? I saw a 944 in that color pulling away down the main street.
To be honest I am not sure yet. I have yet to find these wheels on any other Porsche so I do not know what they are yet. I once almost sold a set of regamasters for 300 when they sell for 1500. I do not want to make the same mistake again. I was actually in La Jolla this Saturday. I have met a few people in SD with the same color car as mine. At a 944 shop in mission gorge. (It was where I had my car inspected) Also we should set something up, I would love to see your supercharger project and I can show you my car.

Edit: Well through some random internet searching (I have tried about a dozen times before) I found out what these wheels are. Sport Edition Wheels Cup 4. Also Pm sent

Last edited by Nashio; 09-24-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 944 Electric Water Pump