Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The reliability challenge question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 03:43 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
The best indication of 944/968 reliability is that y'all have enough time to post on this thread, instead of being stuck on the side of the road or in the garage. And, y'all can obviously afford a computer, so repairs can't be costing that much...
Either that or everyone is getting killer unemployment benefit money
Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam K
Fantastic thread. I'm eager to see the responses, being a new '87 944 owner myself.
Sadly, it would appear by Adam's sole forum post that his foray into 944 ownership did not prove reliable; despite the thread's topic.
Ironic..
Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any car can be made reliable with the proper maintenance and cost required. But when "budgets" and "shortcuts" are used, compromise comes into the picture which hinders overall reliability due to neglect or lack of funds.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:35 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I have one: the ignition switch. It's made from a brittle plastic which is prone to crack. It's just a poor overall design - I have one in front of me right now and there's a reason it's $4.50... I would rather pay $50 and have it last 20 years. One could argue that it's a VW part, and you would be right, but Porsche carried it in the 944 through 85.5. I have no reliability data (or tales from 944 friends) on the late 944 ignition switch.

Also... DME relay anyone?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:28 PM
johncos3777
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reliability is not subjective at all, it is quantitative. A person’s opinion regarding reliability is subjective. Unfortunately, my opinion regarding Porsche right now, would be very bias indeed, as I made an impulse purchase for what turned out to be a very poorly maintained and severely abused 951.

Because of that I will keep my opinions regarding Christine to myself. However, if I end up dead and she is anywhere nearby, Steven King fans will know what really happened, even if it was made to look like an accident. :-)

In all seriousness, I think it is safe to say that the Porsche 944 Turbo was the most sophisticated mass-production car in the world back in 1986. Cheating on the numbers here a little bit, but 220 hp out of a 2.4 liter motor was a phenomenal achievement. Problem is, sophistication and age do not make good bunk mates. Hence the arguments regarding reliability.

For me the real issue here is ease of maintenance or perhaps more to the point, lack thereof. When I wrench on Christine, all I can think about is how little attention was given to simplifying maintenance. Then when I compare her to my ‘75 VW Bus, I just get depressed. Let’s see, removing the entire engine on the side of the road using only basic hand tools in less than 30 minutes; or 24 hours shop time to replace a simple clutch. Think that’s an unfair comparison? Perhaps, but keep in mind which car company designed both drive trains?

If I had one wish for my car, it would be that she was less time consuming to work on. As it stands, Christine is a greedy little you know what, and she demands my full attention and requires constant praise and adoration, offering me little in return except for the occasional short lived ride.

Last edited by johncos3777; 01-17-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johncos3777

In all seriousness, I think it is safe to say that the Porsche 944 Turbo was the most sophisticated mass-production car in the world back in 1986.

928!!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole

928!!
I make the face whenever I see/hear people say things to the extent of "well it must be perfect and ideal that way, it is a Porsche after all!"

As far as reliability is concerned, MAINTENANCE is the key of course.

Let me put some numbers here for posterity, of what a nearly 30-year old engine that's been taken care of (but not driven lightly) can do with a newer catalyst...burns cleaner than any other car in my family, despite being the oldest by over a decade.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I make the face whenever I see/hear people say things to the extent of "well it must be perfect and ideal that way, it is a Porsche after all!"

As far as reliability is concerned, MAINTENANCE is the key of course.

Let me put some numbers here for posterity, of what a nearly 30-year old engine that's been taken care of (but not driven lightly) can

do with a newer catalyst...burns cleaner than any other car in my family, despite being the oldest by over a decade.
WTF does this have to do with my reply about the 944 NOT being the most high TCH car of its day? The 928 was clearly more high tech in a given year than a 944/951
Old 01-17-2014, 11:33 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

I purchased my 87NA when I was 16 my uncle helped me out. It had 2 previous owner, I'm the 3rd going on 7 years of owner ship.

The car had sat for roughly 6-8 years before I touched it or anything so like most it was in good condition body wise no rust straight no dings nothing but had electrical problem because 6-8 yr sitting attracts critters to crash and make a party anywhere.

Changed everything new fuse box relays wiring harnesses everything got went threw the 1st yr then normal valve cover head pump belts and to this day it's a champ runs drives great no complains mind you even in the snow ((not a lot )) I still drive it and it's all good

A well maintained car doesn't matter the brand will go on forever specially if you don't cheap out on parts.... I know acouple guys that the car needs something fixed no they keep running it till more breaks down and the bill ends up being a lot ((mind you it ain't a Porsche)) just because they ignored the thigs that needed to get fixed.

My parents bought a Toyota sienna fully loaded back in 98 and till this day my mom uses it to go to work 215,099 miles same engine I'm just saying DOESN'T MATTER THE BRAND YOU TREAT A CAR WELL AND FIX THIGS WHEN THEY NEED TO GET FIX THE CAR WILL KEEP ON DRIVING.....

The reason why cars become parts cars is because they ignored what needed to get fixed until they saw it was too much so they decide to part it out

When I run into other 944/951/924/928 doesn't matter which on the road it puts a smile because I'm like yes another person loving a true car and trying to keep it off the scrap yards
Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

what a Kissing Porsche *** orgy.

ready to puke my face.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:46 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

FWIW, I bought a 85.5 new, it now has past 250K miles, no major engine work, one clutch, two trans one water pump, and some misc - that's not bad.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:12 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

William, hte most shocking item to me on that list is 2 trans! what happened?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:46 AM
Mhart
Track Day

I'm on my third transaxle now with about 230k miles. The pinion gear and bearings have been the problem on the dead trannies.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

first trans was probably damaged as the rubber clutch disk failed - I heard a "buzz" from the rear under heavy accel for about 2 weeks, then on the way home it locked up intermittently, ultimately ripping the rubber disk out of the center of the clutch - a tooth had broken off the pinion gear. So, I got a rebuilt and put it in (along with a new clutch) - the rebuilt was not properly assembled, so after maybe 50K miles the side plate came off destroying the case. The final trans was a factory new, in box, trans - it has been good up to now. I still have original axles in rear, by the way. I changed ball joints in the front but they weren't very badly worn, it has had two starters, one broken in half by my brother driving off the curb, and two steering racks but those are minor. And, I did a valve job when I made a very stupid mistake on my first timing belt change. Oh, and I replaced the cat just last month when it failed smog for the first time.

Quick Reply: The reliability challenge question!