Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoamed - gasket leak - what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 PM
szabon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just fyi, these gaskets:

"Get new exhaust manifold flange gaskets also.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...C%20Each%20%20"

Are not for a 951.....Don't quite know yet what goes there, but these dont! I have the headers out now, which was not that big of a job actually, and was starting to put it all back together again, but I noticed there is no gasket for the headers to the crossover pipe. I figured that maybe someone did not put on the gasket before, but these gaskets do not fit! too small....

I guess I'll just put everything together without that gasket.

Oh, and the header gaskets were definitely bad - some broke apart in my hands!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My error.
I gave you the exhaust manifold gasket number for the NA.
I need a set.
PM me and I can PayPal.

Look up the turbo 951 part number needed:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/

A local dealer should have the part.

John
Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

from the header to the x-over there are o-rings- they are in there you prob. just cant see them. Lindsey makes copper gaskets for that as well, or you can get new o-rings. I seafoamed my old Supra and dumped some E-check in a bottle in the tank- lots o- smoke.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:59 PM
szabon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't just use the old o-rings? Is there an easy place to grab these, or do I have to order them?

And I pm'd you John.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
This is blowing my mind from that link...

"ATF is very thin so it flows better at temperature than regular engine oil. However, it doesn't provide great lubrication. ATFs typically have a lot of detergent type additives which help de-gunk the engine. Adding a quart of ATF to an engine prior to an oil change has been common practice among Mercedes Master Techs for years. If the engine/lifters are really gunked up, you may have to add more than a quart of ATF to clean things up. Add it just prior to an oil change, run the engine at idle until the oil is at normal operating temperature (typically about 10 minutes after the coolant is at normal operating temperature), then shut it down, and change the oil.

BTW, it's also common practice among Mercedes techs to add a quart of ATF periodically to a full tank of gas to clean the injectors ."
The old car salesman trick was to put some drops of ATF in the spark plug hole to increase friction and wear away the piston rings. This would increase the compression in an old motor. Or so i have been told.

Quick Reply: Seafoamed - gasket leak - what do I need?