Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch pins

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Edtay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch pins

Current snag; hatch will not open on my 1986 944. Sounds like manually opening it is suppose to solve the problem, yet after tht and trying some persuasion with a rubber mallet the problem still stands. I can pull the black receiver down on the passenger side but doesn't release the pin and on driver side tht receiver isn't going to move down. I took off the hardware on em too... So what should I try now?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

Default Receivers

If the receivers are removed soak them in some solvent to dissolve the old sticky grease then re lube . Make sure they snap back closed internally .
clean the latch pins. Then lightly snug the receivers back on the car so they can be positioned sight down the pin right before it enters the receiver and re position aligning the receivers with pins. don't over tighten the receivers if they get to tight they can bind up and won't open. How is your hatch at the frame/hinge area if its separating at the hinges that can be an issue as well.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Edtay
Instructor

Donor car has new pins so ill be sure to do that, yet gotta get hatch off first
Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Edtay
Instructor

Bump. Tried wedging a prybar between the black receiver and the body, tried using a screwdriver and a hammer to break the receiver, and removed all hardware i can see but problem is still here
Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure I understand the problem.

Are you saying that those little sphinchter-like things that grab the hatch pins are frozen shut?

Did this happen all of the sudden?

Have you poked around on the clark's garage website? They might have some advice or a how-to there.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Edtay
Instructor

Ive been searching around but its sounds like manually releasing at the interior side of the lock will free the pins and the hatch would open. All Clarks has is "Repairing a Squeaking or Rattling Rear Hatch" and "Rear Hatch Strut Replacement" for the rear hatch. The car has been dead for a few months so cant really comment on how quick it happened. Tomorrow I can climb back and record what the issue is if that would help show the problem. But you got the problem spot correct.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:13 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

take a look here...it may help you understand what you're looking at:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...mechanism.html

This one has some great info too...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-not-open.html

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Edtay
Instructor

The spot that is the issue on the hatch is #26 in the PET Diagram. I removed both 10mm nuts on that piece. Is there a difference between loosening em and removing em?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know. Only time I had an issue with these (which was not too long ago and I posted about it here)...one of the 'sphinchters' jammed in the closed position while my hatch was opened.

It would therefore not allow my hatch to close.

I soaked it with Wd-40...and losened those nuts on the bottom.

After about an hour of soaking it became free and I only snugged up the nuts.

Gave it a good bath in spray teflon and it's been fine since.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Edtay
Instructor

You just loosened the nuts? I may replace those and see if i can just loosen em to do the trick. The lock seems to work and "open" the receivers. Yet the hatch is still suck... I have a parts car in the garage that has a good hatch so im not worried abt breaking parts
Old 09-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Mhart
Track Day

I've had my hatch stuck shut by the hatch seal before. Sprayed some WD-40 aroud the seal externally and let it set for a hour or so and it broke loose.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Edtay
Instructor

So I rebolted those 10mm nuts back on then loosened them all slightly, soaked both the hatch seal (from the outside) and the receivers/pin releases in WD-40 but the hatch will still not budge...
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

So the little sphincter things open but the hatch is still stuck?

If I am not mistaken...the way these work is that there is a plate that looks like 1/2 a plate-washer...eg: semi-circular hole in it...that slides back and forth to create the opening and then latch the pins..believe it is # 25 in the parts diagram.

When you took off the nuts completely...did the mechanism come apart exposing this? If not...don't take it apart because I suspect it will be a PIA to put back together....but it would be nice to know if both sides of each plate-washer are free.

With mine...on the driver's side of the car, one side of this plate was free to move and the other was not...causing the pin to not have enough room to go through the latch.

I played with tightness on these nuts and got them just right so both sides of each plate move.

If those plates are free...then I am not sure whatelse other than perhaps corrosion could be keeping your hatch closed. Silly question...but there is nothing in the crease between the top of the hatch and roof is there ??
Old 09-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Edtay
Instructor

They seem like they open. When the 10mm are not installed, the black thing doesn't fall apart... I will break it if need be. I'm swapping hatches (donor car has tinted glass). Nothing seems to be in tht space between body and pivot point for the hatch.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Edtay
Instructor

Problem solved: BFH and screwdriver to the passenger side (destroyed the receiver) and then jammed a screwdriver into the driver side pin hole/receiver which pushed the clasp/s back. Hatch has been replaced and everything is almost back to normal.

Quick Reply: Hatch pins