Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good GoPro mounting points?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 AM
alan t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good GoPro mounting points?

I have a DE this weekend in the 944, and wanted to know if anybody has any good suggestions for the gopro. I tested it out the other day on my rollbar pointed forward, but the road and cars in front are a little blurry(I have an old gopro, and I don't think it's HD). Has anybody made a mount in maybe the front bumper, or has anyone taken video pointed backwards on the glass hatch with good video results?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:48 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alan, if you are solo (no instructor), I suggest rolling up the passenger window and mounting the camera to the inside of the window via suction cup, near the top rear corner of the window. This way, you can angle it to see the track, your hands, and almost see the right side apexes. You'll have to play with it to get the right angle and height, obviously, so if you have someone around with a computer to check the camera's output, it will really help you fine tune the position and angle.

Exposure also tends to be good from this location.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

I experimented with a few mounting points last weekend at Gingerman, and my kids favorite was this one mounted at what I call the B-Pillar, the window just behind the drivers door

Here is the view from the top Center of the window, which I also liked

I don't have the tow-hook mount vid uploaded from Gingerman, but here it is from Road America over Memorial Day.

I would a number of different mounts and see what you like.

One piece of advice, wipe of your lens after every session. At Road America, I wasn't checking the videos after each run, and the lens got a big haze on it, which ruined several runs.
Here is a sample (mounted on rolled up passenger window)
I ran this through youtube's video enhancement, which makes it better, but not great. Before, it looked more like this
Something similar happened during my first run at gingerman last weekend (tow hook view that is not uploaded yet) , but I caught it because I checked the video after the run.

I've contemplated doing the rear view, but I don't think I would like on a stand-alone view, with a multicamera set up, I think it's awesome.

Apologize in advance for the length of the some of the videos, I just uploaded the entire session, but you can get a feel for what it looks like from each view.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For me, I like the view from inside the car, where I can see the drivers hands, the rearview mirror, etc. I like to see the driver in action as well as the track ahead.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acorad
For me, I like the view from inside the car, where I can see the drivers hands, the rearview mirror, etc. I like to see the driver in action as well as the track ahead.
Me too, though it is even better if you have/are a chase vehicle that has a camera. More editing afterwards, but can really be fun to watch.
All my videos are oldskool...no not the handcrank video camera, but they are/were all done using VHSc, and eventually digital tape...Yea I've been doing this a while..
Old 08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Pull the passenger door mirror off and mount the camera to the mirror base with the same screw. Mirrors are pretty heavy so the mount is sturdy.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine mounted to the inside of the windshield, passenger side, near the middle, I get a 50/50 split of the hood, road, track sky.
I had to modify one of the thumb screws with a regular screw to allow it to pivot more to the up right position, I love my mount plus if it falls off it is inside the car and I can turn it on and off when I want.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Medski
Instructor

Right under the Center brakelight in the hatch, facing towards the front. that way you can see both the road, and the driver to some extent! (And maybe the wife / girlfriend freaking out in the passenger seat)
Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the stick on mounts, put one on the right side of your helmet and mount to the side of your helmet.

I have some great video with a non HD go pro that way unfortunately on a different storage drive.

Also you can put a stick on unit on your back bumper and get some good rear view stuff.

They come off with no paint damage.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, this is mounted to the 3rd brake light. Not a great vantage point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU...yer_detailpage

I have lots of video in the 951 from a sticky mount just below the center rear view mirror but don't seem to have it online. So this is the same location autocrossing my Cayenne Turbo. The view is the same as the 951.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU...yer_detailpage
Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

ive only done one video on my car so far and I liked the positioning which is similar to Allens second video. inspect your camera after each run as Allen says.

This was meant to be a rough quick draft i did in a few hours for my pilot mate who was too excited to wait for a proper version.

i was worried about losing the camera using the suction cup. i did some google searches and found refererences to it being good up to 180mph. I wasn't going to risk it though and used some ali tape but it was fine. When i asked some car guys on my local forums said they do 180-200 kph with their suction cup mount on the track just fine.

I have a rollcage mount now that i might be using on sunday in an '86 carrera.

Im about to buy a second camera so I can get interior and exterior shots.

Last edited by J1NX3D; 08-01-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

That video was great! Good times. Rekindles my want to get a private pilot's license.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Thanks they are such a neatly packaged camera, the possibilities are endless! i even put it on my dog
Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Haha, I could see the same thoughts myself if I had one. I got a heavy duty suction cup mount for a normal HD camcorder last couple times I was at a track but a GoPro would work better.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

woot! using my camera on a 924 tarmac rally car tomorrow, 911 carrera on Sunday.

Quick Reply: Good GoPro mounting points?