Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camber wear problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:59 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Camber wear problem

The problem is on my '93 968. When I bought the car, it was fine. Recently it's had this issue where the inside shoulders of my front tires keep wearing out. I adjusted the camber eccentrics to maximum positive camber a few months ago, and it's still wearing out the inside shoulders.

The only change that I can think of is the fact that I put on a pair of 951 front struts with lowering springs. I did not install any kind of geometry correction (so yes, I have annoying bump steer). But, shouldn't lowering the car create more positive camber, not negative? My tire wear indicates too much negative camber, right?

The wheels are 17x7 et55 and the tires are 225/45/17, as stock.

With the eccentrics maxed out and the lowering springs, I don't know what could be causing this. Does caster affect camber? I.e. can an alignment shop fix this, or is there something wrong with the car?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowering a car makes camber more negative, naturally.

http://www.spcalignment.com/faq/arti...vehicle_height

Negative camber:

Positive camber:

Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 AM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What most likely happened is that when you lowered your car you increased the toe-in. Have the front alignment reset to factory specs, or get some camber plates and do it yourself. Normally you want about an 1/8 to a 1/4 of toe-in Total with the toe plates. I'll bet you have more than that.

Last edited by car_slave; 08-03-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Changed to total toe, not each side.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 321 Posts

I agree with Butters that lowering your car increases negative camber. But surprisingly the effect is pretty minimal. See my post at www.newhillgarage.com.

I lowered by track car by 1" and have introduced maximum negative camber as allowed by the stock eccentric bolts, which gives me about neg 2 degree. After about 6 track days on basically new tires, I don't have any noticeable wear on the inside versus the outside or the middle.

If you want to experiment a little and not wait for $400 in tires to wear funny, try using chalk or white shoe polish to draw "stripes" starting at one sidewall, across the tread, and down on the opposite sidewall. Drive around a little and see if the stripes are removed an even amount from the inside and outside sidewall. This will allow you to get a quick read on any alignment changes.

Set castor first, then camber, and then toe in.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

In regards to remembering positive camber and caster. Think of OUTBACK steakhouse as POSITIVE.

POSITIVE camber is OUT (top of tire), POSITIVE caster is BACK (in relation to axle) .

A chopped motorcycle has a lot of negative caster.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:48 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. I thought the control arms' natural position was horizontal. So that's why I thought lowering (or raising) would make camber more positive. But if the CA position is like the picture at normal ride height then I understand how camber will become more negative with lowering, until the CA becomes horizontal, then become less negative until it reaches the same camber as originally when the CA is at an angle mirroring the original angle. Am I understanding this right?

So I either need a geometry correction kit, or camber plates?

Either way it'll need an alignment when I figure out how to get 0 camber again. The caster and toe are probably off too.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

You are correct, that drawing is a bit missleading. The arms start out almost level with stock camber a little negative. As you corner the arms point up at the ball joint and cause the wheel to become neutral or if you like more positive.

If you think about it that is exactly what should happen. It is desirable to have an alignment that causes the tires to have maximum contact with the road in turns and that means you need a slightly negative camber in the straight ahead position. At least on our cars anyway.

Lowering your car will make the arm point up at the ball joint instead of being level. In that position the stock ride height car will have positive camber but you need to dial in negative so when you corner you go more neutral or positive. Problem is you don't have enough adjustment at the eccentric to dial in enough of you go to low.

Best solution would be camber plates. I would also consider the geometry correcting arm pins to bring everything in line (level) again and prevent your ball joint binding and cracking your arm.

Hope that makes sense. GL
Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Talking about caster, not camber, caster has no effect on tire wear. Caster has more to do with return-ability of the steering wheel after a turn. You should have some negative caster so when accelerating the tire remains ahead of the axle giving it more stability.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by NCporsche
Talking about caster, not camber, caster has no effect on tire wear. Caster has more to do with return-ability of the steering wheel after a turn. You should have some negative caster so when accelerating the tire remains ahead of the axle giving it more stability.
Who's talking about castor? He has a camber problem here, though you are right in what you are saying
Old 08-03-2012, 06:59 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike, that does make sense. That's how I thought things were.

But I'm still at a loss for what is causing the inside shoulder wear on my front tires. I'm not saying it's not the lowering springs, but if it is, then I'd like to fully understand why, because right now I think the springs would make the outsides wear more, if anything.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

camber doesn't wear tires. camber only affects WHERE the tires wear more.

toe wears tires.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Just out of curiosity, where's the camber specs for an '87 944 NA? I just replaced the front struts and put the concentric nuts close to where they were when I pulled them. I've driven the car a little to settle things in and the Porsche shop says they need to do a complete realignment of the front? True? Or just camber check?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Per the previous post by mytrplseven

My '86 944 is going on the alignment rack Monday. I'll be aligning her myself.

My shop manuals are at the shop and I'll post Monday evening what the specs are and what can be aligned, front and rear, camber, caster, toe, possibly ride height.

I do remember the alignment is supposed to be done with a full tank of gas.

Last edited by NCporsche; 08-04-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

when you lowered the car you toed the front end OUT- there for its dragging the inside of the tires- get an alignment.

Quick Reply: Camber wear problem