Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Outlaw" 944s....where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like an empty threat to me.

State Partol is not known to give many "warnings" here in Colorado if there is something they can write a ticket for.

Also, I posted EVERY section of "TITLE 42" the Colorado traffic code I could find on the subject already. There is no other set of laws these guys work from.

Search them your self. Not knowing the law lets these guys push you around with empty threats like this.

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
I live in colorado and have been running with just fog lights as my normal headlights. The city cops didnt care to much but the highway patrol cared. Told me if thwy catch me one more time without lights that were atleast 17" off the ground they were going to impound. So now I'm doing a little mod. Sry for the large image
Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
here you go
Thanks. I uploaded a more recent smaller photo.

Originally Posted by Cole
Sounds like an empty threat to me.

State Partol is not known to give many "warnings" here in Colorado if there is something they can write a ticket for.

Also, I posted EVERY section of "TITLE 42" the Colorado traffic code I could find on the subject already. There is no other set of laws these guys work from.

Search them your self. Not knowing the law lets these guys push you around with empty threats like this.
State patrol always give me warnings. Its the city cops that always write me a ticket.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

I think I have seen that car parked over by Rally Software on 33rd.

As for the lights, it's possible there is no applicable state law in CO but you have to pick your battles. If you get pulled over for hinkey-looking headlights they can probably write you for something and it'd generally be a hassle. It looks like there is some discretion with "unsafe vehicle."
Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I think I have seen that car parked over by Rally Software on 33rd.

As for the lights, it's possible there is no applicable state law in CO but you have to pick your battles. If you get pulled over for hinkey-looking headlights they can probably write you for something and it'd generally be a hassle. It looks like there is some discretion with "unsafe vehicle."
No! They can't!!

It's a common legal situation known as the "Fruit of the Poisonous tree". If the initial stop is bad then EVERYTHING after that is not allowed.

They could seriously find 10 dead bodies in the trunk and the court would have to let you go free if the stop was not a valid one.

People need to stop basing this stuff on bad news stories, TV and 2nd hand rumors!

Cops go in front of the same judges and attorneys all the time. They develop a reputation with them. The defense attorneys learn REALLY quick which cops make weak stops, they exploit it and win.

I've seen judges toss out an entire month of tickets for an officer because the officer did a few "bad stops" in a row.

Judges don't stand for the B.S. Their jobs are on the line and there are a BAZILLION REAL GOOD STOPS to be had out there.

There simply is no reason to "make **** up". Cops really do try to make the best stops and put together the best cases they can. It makes life SOOOOO much easier to just do things the right way.

Know the law, don't speculate at what you think could happen in a TV drama.

......this is however a "outlaw 944" thread
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Cole
Drifting

Colorado, like many other states also have a requirement that you must charge the violator with the reason for the initial stop in order to charge them with any other crime.

For example. If you have 10 dead bodies in the trunk. They cop must also issue you a ticket for the original stop.

Have you guys ever looked at a summons to appear in court (ticket). The officer HAS TO write down the EXACT crime you violated. The exception to this is the checkboxes for common things like speeding.

If anything is charged other than the "checkboxes" the officer HAS to write down the EXACT statute number, subsection AND HAS TO WRITE IN THE EXACT WORDING OF THE LAW YOU VIOLATED!! (the checkboxes offenses have those title numbers and text in them already).

Without the EXACT title number and wording the ticket is invalid. EVERY defense attorney and judge on earth knows this. If the cop gets it wrong, then it shows he didn't understand the charge!

There is ZERO ROOM for "making up something". What do you think a Judge and attorneys would do with "well I felt his headlights were too low to be safe" even though the law says differently?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 PM
edredas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I don't live in Colorado, I'm pretty sure a cop can just pull you over and write you a ticket for not having functional headlights. You can argue with him all day that those lights in the bumper are your headlights, but he doesn't have to agree...
Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Cole
Drifting

I'm actually going to take back my earlier statement. The Database was apparently not working right the other day when I searched, it was actually listing it as "deleted" from the statutes.

Today I found it right away.

I was surprised myself to see it missing which is why I ultimately went back and searched for it again.

Here is the measurement for Colorado. I went and measured my 951 and it is already at the lower limit.

42-4-205. Head lamps on motor vehicles

(1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with at least two head lamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in sections 42-4-202 and 42-4-204 to 42-4-231 and part 3 of this article where applicable.

(2) Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two head lamps that shall comply with the requirements and limitations of sections 42-4-202 and 42-4-204 to 42-4-231 and part 3 of this article where applicable.

(3) Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than fifty-four inches nor less than twenty-four inches, to be measured as set forth in section 42-4-204 (3).

Last edited by Cole; 08-20-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

You mean the 951 headlights are at the lower legal height limit, or the 951 fogs? Fogs I think are much lower.

I like the idea of "Outlaw" mods but not the hassle of being pulled over for obviously questionable stuff. For example I used to run without a front plate but after two tickets I got tired of that and put them on all my cars. I have no idea how those dudes on choppers manage to get away with so much questionable stuff, but maybe the cops feel that riding around on what is essentially a motorized pair of high-heeled stripper shoes is punishment enough.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol without my engine in the car my new lights are 16" on center. I think I won't have any problems though cuz ill be running fog lights too. The main reason I was getting pulled over before was because they thought I was a drunk driver driving with just fog light. Was driving with fogs but not drunk
Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
Lol without my engine in the car my new lights are 16" on center. I think I won't have any problems though cuz ill be running fog lights too. The main reason I was getting pulled over before was because they thought I was a drunk driver driving with just fog light. Was driving with fogs but not drunk
All the better reason to NOT rely on just fogs.

The police don't need yet another good reason to pull my *** over!

It's this same logic that prompted me to start running my front plate again, after several years of not doing it. IMO my car at the time (Z06 Corvette) looked retarded with a front plate, so I refused to run it. I eventually got sick of getting pulled over for it, because inevitably the cop would ALWAYS find something to write me for in addition to the no front plate. I lost count on the number of "no seatbelt" tickets I was written... and I *always* wear my seatbelt. But it's your word against theirs in court and they know it....
Old 08-22-2013, 03:23 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like your car !

Originally Posted by ditch68
It is the Kokeln Racing front end, now sold by Lindsey Racing (I had a great experience with them on every purschase I have made for parts, by the way).

It is the front end Kokeln developed for their "Orca" and "Flipper" development platform race 951s back when they still did 944 stuff.

I love it.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Cole
Drifting

I think a true outlaw is not the kinda car you are commuting to work in and need to drive at night so the headlight argument is silly.

If you have to rely on the car for daily duty, you shouldn't be building an "outlaw"
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 PM
edredas
Intermediate

Just something to keep in mind when you modify your car.

In '06 I was involved in an accident where a guy ran a stop sign in broad daylight. My car at the time even had daytime running lights. While I didn't get a ticket because I wasn't at fault, his insurance company gave me grief.

When they came out to examine my car, they said the tires and brakes were too worn to stop me in time. They then sent me a $7k invoice to replace his car. They did this just to avoid paying out.

I later got my money, but not after they tried to take everything I had... My point is, if you remove the head lights from your car or decide not to drive with them on, it doesn't matter if the cop cites you or not. All that driver has to say to his insurance company is that he didn't see you, and they will own you!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Cole
Drifting

Mods are not neglected maintenance. You are comparing an apple because of your experience with an orange.

A proper Outlaw is going to be a VERY well maintained and functional vehicle.

Originally Posted by edredas
Just something to keep in mind when you modify your car.

In '06 I was involved in an accident where a guy ran a stop sign in broad daylight. My car at the time even had daytime running lights. While I didn't get a ticket because I wasn't at fault, his insurance company gave me grief.

When they came out to examine my car, they said the tires and brakes were too worn to stop me in time. They then sent me a $7k invoice to replace his car. They did this just to avoid paying out.

I later got my money, but not after they tried to take everything I had... My point is, if you remove the head lights from your car or decide not to drive with them on, it doesn't matter if the cop cites you or not. All that driver has to say to his insurance company is that he didn't see you, and they will own you!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 PM
edredas
Intermediate

That car was new, they were lying just to avoid paying out and lost in court.

When they see that you have removed your lights you will have no excuse!

Quick Reply: "Outlaw" 944s....where are they?