Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I get to do my front engine seals . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looks like I get to do my front engine seals . . .

I've seen a bit of oil dripping on the garage floor lately. A cursory inspection left me thinking it was coming from where the timing belts live. Pulled the top-front timing belt cover and the distributer, and there's definitely oil in there.

Ordered a seal kit from Zim's today. Also ordered the oil pump thingy. Looks like I get more practice on timing belt removal/replacement, and I get to try the seals this time.

God bless the Internet, Clark's Garage, Bennington Motorsports, YouTube, etc. Lots of information out there.

Rennlisters be ready for me to post any questions!

Regards,

Mark
Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When do you plan on doing it?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

They really aren't hard to do. Just take your time and make sure you are putting the right seals where they belong. Follow Clarks and you'll be just fine.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 AM
Copilot
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Indeed - Clark's is really easy to follow on this one.

Also, a tip I discovered - are you a bicycle enthusiast and don't feel like buying special tools to drive the seals in? Just use a Park Tools crown race setter - works great!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951
When do you plan on doing it?
UPS says I should expect the parts to arrive Monday (6/25). I'll probably set the crank at TDC and do all the necessary removal (belts, rollers, sprockets, etc.) over this weekend.

If anybody wants to join me for an installation party (misery does love company!), then I can plan the installation of the new seals and putting everything together for next weekend (6/30 and/or 7/1).

I'm hoping to run my Boxster in the PCA Potomac Autocross on Saturday the 30th. Are you going to that??? I can arrange for pizza, beer, and oil seals after the autocross if anyone is interested.

Mark
Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Copilot
Also, a tip I discovered - are you a bicycle enthusiast and don't feel like buying special tools to drive the seals in? Just use a Park Tools crown race setter - works great!
That looks interesting. There are plenty of bike shops nearby. I was thinking about buying some washers of various sizes and a piece of PVC.

I'll need a 10mm cheesehead wrench. I have 8 and 12
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

All new seals (and associated bits) are in. The thingy that drives the oil pump was a bit of a trick. It did not initially go in all the way; I had to turn it slightly a number of times, I guess to get the teeth lined up.

Now it's time to put all the rest back together, tension the belts, etc. With temps above or near 100F forecast for the next few days, my garage will be an oven!

By the way, I found the 10mm cheesehead wrench at Pep Boys.

I used something like this (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...00&R=100117900) from Home Depot to press in the seals. It worked like a charm, and cost just over a buck. The one I bought has a cap on the threaded end that is nice and smooth. I'll try to remember to post a picture.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Everything is back together, took the car for a little ride to Home Depot, so far so good. Let's hope there aren't any oily spots on the garage floor any time soon!

Quick Reply: Looks like I get to do my front engine seals . . .