Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for a broken timing belt. Fix, sell, junk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Fintro11
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us updated on your progress with lots of pictures!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Off topic again....I thought we were on the subject of fixing a 951. Fix the car. It'll never ask you why you came home at 2 in the morning or where you've been. She'll never whine because you bought her timing belts instead of ear rings. "The more I know about women, the more I love my Porsche".
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I will ask this as well, where are you located? Colar, options etc...? I may be interested in it as well.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In two separate occasions with two separate 951's, I've had a timing belt break, and then come to find out it broke exactly at (or near) TDC and only required a new timing belt to get back up and running perfectly again, with no loss of compression.

So, it's worth putting a new timing belt on and checking compression before pulling off the head.

Just sayin'
Old 05-10-2012, 02:24 AM
tadtv
4th Gear

I'm in redondo beach, calif. I don't have all the tools. I could only do the belt with exact step by step directions. Anyway to find out if it broke tdc? We've cranked it a few times since. Will that throw off all the timing? Probably huh. Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Somebody be trollin.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by drift a 944
In two separate occasions with two separate 951's, I've had a timing belt break, and then come to find out it broke exactly at (or near) TDC and only required a new timing belt to get back up and running perfectly again, with no loss of compression.

So, it's worth putting a new timing belt on and checking compression before pulling off the head.

Just sayin'
I also had a fairly new belt break at start up! We cranked the motor for a good 30 minutes trying to diagnose why it would not start, eventually finding the stripped teeth on the belt.

Motor was fine. A new belt and it runs like a dream again.

The simplest thing to do is get a "leak down" tester. Kinda like a compression tester but you can add your own air source.( which means you dont have to install a belt and crank the motor to test it ) You can buy a leak down tester from Harbor Freight for about $15, many auto parts stores will "rent" you one for free too! You will also need an air compressor or some other pressurized air source, HF sells those cheap too. (and they take returns )

Hook the leak down tester up to one cylinder at a time (screws into spark plug hole) then rotate the cam with a big wrench. ( big nut under the distributor cap and housing cover) You will be able to see (on the pressure gauge of the tester) and hear the valves open and close. Do this for each cyl. If you get one (or more) that won't build pressure then you have bent valves and need to repair.

This test allows you to diagnose it without having to buy and install a belt first. It should take no more than about 30 min and $50 in returnable tools(if rented of course, so no money out of your pocket)

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 AM
tadtv
4th Gear

That sounds so simple I'm actually considering it. I already have the compressor. Once I crank the cam shaft, for the valve test, when I put a new belt on, how do I get everything lined back up again for timing? Also do I need special tools to loosen the tensioners to get the belt on? How do I adjust the tensioners and how tight? I've never gotten this deep into an engine, usually just surface items. How many items do I need to take off to get to the belt? Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Look at Clarks garage. They have a great write up.

Basically you need to take the upper plastic cover off and then take the upper metal cover off (the one with the distributor cap on it) and you can see the cam belt tensioner and timing belt itself.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:08 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tadtv
That sounds so simple I'm actually considering it. I already have the compressor. Once I crank the cam shaft, for the valve test, when I put a new belt on, how do I get everything lined back up again for timing? Also do I need special tools to loosen the tensioners to get the belt on? How do I adjust the tensioners and how tight? I've never gotten this deep into an engine, usually just surface items. How many items do I need to take off to get to the belt? Thanks
Might I suggest contacting V2rocketAKA944 or Lart... I am sure one of them can be a semi local assistance.. and I know spencer has tools will travel!
Old 05-19-2012, 03:58 PM
tadtv
4th Gear

How much pressure do I put into the tester? How long should it hold pressure? Thanks. Venturing into new ground.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not so much a "how much" or "how long" as it is "will it hold pressure".

Put as much or as little as you need to just see that it holds pressure on the gauge. A few seconds is enough, but it should hold for awhile. Just consider that it is a metal on metal seal so don't expect it to hold pressure like a basketball.

Quick Reply: Options for a broken timing belt. Fix, sell, junk?